1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

Take out compression and rebound damping. Make them softer.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not speaking of this specific bike.. no am i saying it won't help in that circumstance..
    Often however, clickers can only take you so far. there's a range of how soft and how firm you can go. And even the range can vary from bike to bike. Some will have a nice wide range, others will make little change from full stiff to full soft. Often, a good revalve is in order to get it to work for what you are wanting it to do. And that opens another can o' worms.. some tuners suck, some are really good.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  3. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

My bikes don't have air forks. So I have no experience with them. Just saying in general you want a lot less damping for trail than for MX. If the clickers don't get you far enough, then a revalve is the only way to go.

Motards are a real challenge. If you add enough spring and damping to work on the concrete, it is way to stiff off-road. You are always compromising, one way or the other.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'm addicted. All I wanna do is go ride in the dirt.

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Pretty much how my upcoming Saturday will be. I finished re-springing my rear shock and greasing the entire suspension linkage last night. Will tackle the front forks tonight with fresh oil and correct rate springs.

Can't wait to dial it all in Saturday at the camp. Even with my annual dirtbike camp fee and a few mods here and there plus even buying a new dirtbike last year this all doesn't touch what I spend road racing just a few weekends.

6. Race weekend coming up for me! Cannot wait! Sunday, 2 loops, 80ish miles and 60 degree weather. Could not ask for a better weekend.

Wheel Bearing, MELK-MAN and inpayne like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

still need to hydrate good.. not as much as when it's 85F and high humidity, but important nonetheless.

8. Working out 6 days a week at this point, I have to stay hydrated regardless of race weekend or not. But yeah, I will do a re-fill on my hydration pack when I pit stop after loop 1.

9. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Love to do some desert riding like that.

10. roy826ex

I did 300 miles off road on mine last May in Moab. Awesome riding and some would send you butt straight to a ER. Water and gas are two things there you ain't going far without.

11. Anytime any of you guys wants to come out, you've got a spot to stash a trailer and your bikes at my shop. No questions asked. Let me know 2-3 weeks in advance and we'll go ride for a weekend. No worries at all.

roy826ex likes this.
  12. roy826ex

Well I finished my suspension upgrades tonight on the Yamaha 250. WOW it's the bike built for me now! So nice and plush, tested in the dark behind my house in a little fast single track I've had for years there. Mr Jack hammer is gone! Can't wait to tweak the clickers Saturday. I'm at totally stock settings right now. Pretty sure that won't stay there when the pace escalates with the camps fast A riders Saturday in first loop.

Wish I had done this a year ago when I first bought it and I knew then it was not right for my light weight. Too many irons in the fire with road racing and streetbike BS and the dirtbike never ranks up very high unfortunately lol that changed this week. I might actually get back to the speed I was on a woods killer RMZ450 I stroked them on back a few years ago at the camp. Imagine holding a hand grenade, no pin, factory connection suspension, man that thing railed but was suicide by dirtbike, literally. Damn fine turning woods bike though. I just couldn't get past the power in the woods.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What race you doing?

14. District 37's desert scramble in Spangler ohv.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So the Rekluse clutch for KTMs. Can they be bought for less than MSRP?

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

shoot TJ a PM (Riders Discount)

:D

17. roy826ex

Well my weekend of riding went pretty much down a creek. We had a quick flood come through Friday night. Town near the camp only recorded .07" rain. I decided to go up. Hell no more like 2" of rain must have fell. Little dirt history of the place, think clay and lots of it when wet. The kind you dig out from under your fenders afterward. I am still on stock Dunlop Geomax 51s which are an ok intermediate tire. Definetly not a mud tire.

Dying to test my suspension work I pressed onward. Within 1 mile I'm down in a fast left hander. Lost the front on the slick crap and junk tire. Nothing bad I'm ok just all muddy now. Left Cycra hand guard bent vertical. I go back to the jeep at parking area and somewhat bend it down some. I slowed way the hell down after that but was still on the ground no less than 4 more times in 16 miles. Most on steep uphills where the crap Geomax full of mud become a slick. Even the steep downhills were terrible on these tires. In their defense in the year of owning this bike I had never really rode it there in the damp. We had a 4 month drought there last year so they were fine.

Fast forward I finally had enough of picking up my bike for the day. Loaded up and drove home. While cleaning the 25 lbs of mud off it I discovered I'd lost a rear sprocket nut which in turn let the bolt hit my swingarm and put a nasty puncture in it. Oh yea that's gonna split into a crack I'm sure. New swingarm is $654 online. Not happening, I called a welder friend of mine who's a old dirtbike stunter. Took it to him and he welded it up nice for $65 bucks.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Now that it's repaired I have a new set of Michelin S12 XCs going on tomorrow night. It won't dry at the camp for at least 3 more months here. Oh and the new suspension was on the money just crap tires.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

Just before the race start. Notice how theres no gas in the tank. I ran out and was trapped in the desert for 5 hours. :crackup:

Really happy with the graphics though!

j cal and Phl218 like this.
  19. [​IMG]

Last picture. Full shot inside my house. Did the graphics the night before we left.

j cal likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

Yeah...still working on the suspension settings. Thankfully the shock is within working range, it was too stiff before and now it's too soft. This was in 3rd gear over some whoops along the side of the pit.

gt#179 likes this.