1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

regarding the two stroke and premix- I've got two friends that bought the Beta 300 two strokes and have them tagged for street use. As a dual sport they make awesome bikes. Lightweight and they can just fill up like any other bike on the ride. At highway speeds and low speed chugging off road, the computer controls the mixture and changes from 40:1 to 100:1 depending upon situation. So it's sets the injection based upon the engines needs vs just what you happen to mix. In the past some of the two stroke guys on our "dual sport" rides would carry a nalgene bottle with sharpie marks on it for each gallon of gas added they would just pour in the right amount. no worries with leaks from the nalgene bottles.

long term maybe not the most durable setup (I know early yamahas a lot of folks remove the injection systems and just run premix) but for what these guys are doing it's a pretty ideal situation.

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Too stiff on a WR??

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yep, 15 and newer is basically a YZ with revalved suspension. Spring rates are way off course for my 135-137 lb weight. Verified on race techs website. I've known this a year. It'll be right by this coming weekends hoot at the Bluffs. ;)

I am even adding the YZ250FX rear gearing. That's the difference between a WR and the FX is 1+ frigging tooth on rear sprocket. My WR is pretty good now as I ride in 2nd thru 4th at the bluffs but I would like a little more off the bottom from the peppy rev happy engine.

4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

My Sonett was a V4, had a 4 speed on the column and free wheeled when you let off the gas. The free wheeling transmission was a left over from the 2 strokes so the didn't seize off throttle.

Saab 3 cylinder two strokes had a lifetime warranty for the original owner.
    I've had a sedan and station wagon two stroke.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I need to 'uncork' my '13 WR. I think i have 18hp until i do so. I need GYTR (FMF) silencer, GYTR ecu, airbox/filter mod and GYTR programmer? That's it isn't it?
    I swapped out the throttle stop screw.

6. roy826ex

I think you'll have to have the comp ecu then it's plug and play with GYTR tuner. My comp kit come with replacement stop screw, programable comp ecu and instructions on the stock tail pipe mod. I added a GYTR dual stage air filter, modified the stock exhaust exit nipple beyond the instructions but kept it so my spark arrestor is still useable if I want it lol plugged in the GYTR programmer box and it'll scream now like the YZs.

The WRs can't communicate with programmer box until you add the comp ecu replacing the locked stock ecu.

7. gapman789

Right on....all those parts i listed are pretty much a package that you need to 'uncork it'. About $700 worth.
    Is the 'megabomb' header worth it? Or just a waste of money?

8. roy826ex

Honestly I don't usually add a pipe. You do save some weight with them but they all seem to loud. Some have no spark arrestor which in some places will get you a ticket. Nothing worse than riding with a loud 4 stroke all day in the woods.

That 450 will have plenty of power with just the ecu swap and a decent map.

9. gapman789

Hell, the way it is now is plenty of power for me. Just thought the exhausts were the necessary evils to 'uncork' it.

10. roy826ex

There is a little nipple pipe you remove or just replace that end piece with the Yamaha larger exit pipe or a pro moto billet end pipe. Basically same thing.

A whole bunch cheaper than a full system of muffler.

11. gapman789

They refer to that as the 'pea-shooter' on the WR forum. :)
    That's all I would need to do for me then.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Don't worry about springs being to stiff for you...:p
    I am right around 180 lbs and find stock springs on most mx bikes to be pretty good for me doing hare scramble type riding once I get the clickers right.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Quick graphics question -- is there anyone out there other than Decal Works that provides good sticker kits? I've peeled the kit from the guy I bought it from since it was custom for him. They were a nice Decal Works kit but I'd like to spend less than $200 for a full set if possible.

14. roy826ex

Try this guy

http://www.drippinwet.com/

inpayne likes this.
  15. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

He doesn't really do mx grafix. If it's a ktm you can get the ktm grafix kit for about 100 bucks on eBay.

16. www.rideavik.com

They just did a full livery for my KTM. I'll post pictures on Friday. Matt over there is cool as hell, prices are reasonable and they get stuff done quick.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

http://www.hbdmotografx.com/ good guy, races enduro/harescrambles, and supports some racers. Just started a small pro team with Ron Como III riding for him.

18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Did a bit of riding this past weekend. I sacked the fuck up and jumped some big doubles. And by big, I mean I only got like 8 or so feet of air. But holy fucking shit if it didn't feel like I was jumping over the Golden Gate bridge or some shit. I about shit my pants the first 20 times I did it. I have determined that the less self preservation you have, the faster you go on a MX track...and the easier it is. It's easier to go faster and get into the track rhythm than roll everything and fight the bike over every little jump. Still scary as shit.

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

MX gets a lot scarier as you get older and understand physics better...

20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any info on setting up or making Kx450 air forks work for trail riding?