1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

It takes 30 seconds to mix the gas. An accumix jug makes it real easy. The oil injection system is just something else to break and adjust. It complicates a simple design. If the oil pump breaks or clogs, your bike seizes. In the 70's people would pull the injection systems off and run premix for that reason.

throwdown and Mick6R like this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think todays oil injection systems are a little more dependable than in the 70's. :crackup:

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Me and Chadic are about to ride Rattlesnake here in MS at Roy's recommendation. First time I've missed Tally since 2009 :( but can't push like I'd want so will just fart around on the trails.

Just watch out for him posting Van selfies

4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ no idea what he's talking about

[​IMG]

5. TZ250lover

Still not as reliable as premix. Beta puts the injection system on their playbikes but not their top of the line race version. Wonder why that is?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Could weight reduction and class rules compliance be a reason not to put the oil injection on the "race" bikes.
    I know KTM has a boat load of nice bits and bobs that never go on the mx bikes but could be found on the enduros.

7. TZ250lover

Betas race version isn't an MX bike. It has lights just like the lower version. It just has better suspension and components...and no oil pump.

masshole likes this.
  8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Diluting oil in gasoline isn't difficult. It's a matter of convenience. Reliability, as mentioned is of concern. The thing for me is I ride rural Michigan trails. Often, there's a few miles of public road one must take to get the next trail head. On a 120+ mile route, with a street-legal two-stroke, it would be really nice to just top off the tank and not have to carry anything else.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know a pump failure can happen, but I used to ride a bunch of two stroke street bikes and never had a pump fail. Road them for 1000's of miles. Sure beats the hell out of carrying a large can of premix if you plan on riding up the coast or carrying a bunch of bottles of oil and manually figuring it out in the middle of your street ride.

I've owned all of these below with pumps and none of them failed...knock on wood..because I still own all 4 scooters:
    2 Suzuki RG 500 Gammas
    1 Honda NS400R
    1 Kawasaki 175
    1 Yamaha 90
    1 Honda Spree scooter
    1 Aprilla Scooter
    1 Honda 50 looks like a bicycle can't remember what it is called
    1 Yamaha Zuma 50

Now my son has also raced a bunch of 2 strokes where we didn't have injection, racing is a different story, controlled environment, and you can easily mix stuff. I've also raced Karts that we premixed and I ride dirtbikes that I have to premix. Had a lawn boy mower I had to premix when I was a kid.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    masshole likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

I will say I was surprised when i was a kid and went to Germany to visit family. You rolled right into the gas station and they had premix 2 stoke fuel available at the pump. I always thought that was pretty cool.

11. TZ250lover

I get the benefit for streetbikes, just not dirt bikes or anything off road. There aren't any gas stations where I ride my dirtbike. If I have to bring fuel anyways, the difference between bringing straight gas and premix is the 10 seconds it takes to mix the premix. I have 10 seconds to spare.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

If you're on a long ride and ride with four strokes and happen to run out of gas?

13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

East Germany made 2 stroke cars for a long time before they got banned from the public roads in the 90's IIRC.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. TZ250lover

Carry two ounces of premix in your tool kit? Buy a bigger tank? Keep better company (two strokes)?

SuddenBraking and flyingpig70 like this.
  15. TZ250lover

Saab had the model 96 and a two stroke sonnet. They will start in sub zero tempratures where four strokes struggled with thick oil in the crankcase to turn over.

masshole likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had a DKW 2-stroke for a while. Gave it to a guy in FL to restore.

masshole likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

I remember the Saab Sonnet, we looked at a used one when I was a kid, and my dad went with the Lotus Europa instead. Sonnet looked pretty nice.

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Gotta love MS in the winter, 80 degrees and dry this year. So we have been ripping it up at the dirt bike camp this year every non race weekend. Dirt is about the best I've ever seen it there. Roots are still there too lol

Hoot from this past Saturday one the A riders had his camera and snapped a few pics of us minions getting it through the bluffs.

Yours truly :D
    [​IMG]

Little jumping which I don't do a whole lot of. As you can tell. This was after I had already messed up a double earlier in the morning. One never learns from his mistakes without hitting the ground :eek:

[​IMG]

I'm changing front fork springs and rear shock spring this week. I have been riding it since new with 3 spring sizes too stiff up front and 1 size to stiff on the rear. I've been lazy and just been putting it off. Tired of hitting the ground though from a stiff ass suspension.

cajun636 and masshole like this.
  19. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

It is a SO-Nett, sonnet is a form of poetry. It was my first car. I have had Saab's for 45 years

Attached Files:

Boman Forklift and masshole like this.
  20. TZ250lover

Was yours a two stroke? Cool old car