1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deserting the Dynasty-

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mook, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

As someone mentioned in the other topic.

A&E had no problems with riding the coat tails of Duck Dynasty and what the cast had to bring to the table. They FULLY knew how religious the family is and how closely it follows the Bible, and what it states in the Bible (whether you believe it, follow it or not).

To now condemn the man for saying what it says in the Bible as per his views is stupid. So okay to make money of the redneck, not okay for said redneck to express his beliefs?

Everyone is taking his quotes WAY out of context but i'll tell you something right now, i'm sure Phil, of all people couldnt give two shits about it. Hes probably in his mind, on his land, hunting or doing something fun as he waits for his 15 minutes of fame to die down so he can go back to living a normal life.

2. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

And lets be real here. Reality shows are a dime a dozen and generally have a very short shelf life. There will always be another "Honey Boo Boo" to replace the last "Real Housewives of WERA".

The reason why TV networks love these shows in the first place, is that there is little risk/investment and much reward. Audiences fall into love with these shows, just as quick as they fall out of love with them. Which means TV networks are constantly looking for the next new family to follow around with a camera crew.

The idea that either A&E.. or the DD family is going to "suffer" if this gets cancelled is laughable. A&E will simply find another show. And the DD family will either look for a new TV deal.. or continue to prosper off the sales of their brand name merchandise.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You make it out like A&E exploited the Robertson family. Those poor dumb rednecks that you are talking about all have university degrees. They are far from the rednecks that they act like on the show. And A&E has made them millions of dollars as well. It has been a mutually beneficial relationship.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The Duck Dude was a (mediocre at best) college quarterback at LA Tech. He didn't attend his senior year preferring to hunt and fish. His replacement was Terry Bradshaw.

5. backcountryme

And every one of his sons attended university. That is not a dumb family. Also Phil was more then a second rate q.b.

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I know all this, and never have i said "poor rednecks....being exploited by the man!"

All i'm saying is "Making a show and profiting from them for being who they are, you are total POS hypocrite for abandoning them when they do something that EVERYONE knew was going to happen"

Case in point, the VERY FIRST THING A&E said was "Views of Phil are not ours!!" Yea, we get that....

7. backcountryme

There is nothing hypocritical about what A&E did. It is brand protection. Players in sports get fined all the time for the things they say. Is that hypocritical of the league to do that? Racers have lost rides because of what the have said. It happens all the time. Is A&E supposed to take a potential financial hit to back one of the people on a show on their channel? I get it that you have the same viewpoint that he does on the issue, but forget that for a moment and look at it through a business' point of view. And by the way, your comment did come across as A&E exploiting the Robertson's .

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Wrong. They knew the DD crew's biblical, Christian stance. They end every episode with them praying. DD is successful, in large part due to the "wholesome" family approach. That's why they pay them. To then suspend a guy over giving the biblical view of homosexuality is absolutely hypocritical. Comparing it to some guy paid to catch a ball getting nailed for spewing some idiotic crap just isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Did they exploit him? No. Did they hang him out to dry over it? Yup.

$.02

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But, still their prerogative. I think they're dumb for it but understand the knee jerk reaction.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Agreed. Still their prerogative. Still hypocritical.

11. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

how long was it before we stopped talking about Paula Dean? Add 2 more days, and we'll be over this one.

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

See, I view this as being totally different. Paula showed herself as being racist through her alleged actions. This simply Phil stating his belief based on the bible ... Not actually treating someone poorly or calling them names. It's a subtle difference, but I view it as making a BIG difference.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where have they said one thing and done another? I can't find anywhere they've said they support the views of all of their stars on any show.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How do you show anything through alleged actions? Wouldn't it take proof to show she was a racist? Proof I don't remember ever seeing - yet I saw a lot of people chastise her based on accusations from a disgruntled employee...

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

They air and make $$ off a show based on a religiously focused bunch of rednecks. Then they suspend said religious redneck after he states his religious viewpoint. How is that not hypocritical?

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

She admitted under oath during a deposition that she's called people n-ers. Kinda hard for that to be anything but racist. Phil isn't out calling the gheys or fags or whatever else ... He states what he believes the bibles view to be.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're the one making the accusation. How is it hypocitical?

What is it with people not knowing what words mean these days?

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I read in the dungeon that it's okay because she was describing someone who robbed her. :D

You might want to take the rest of the discussion there before you hurt yourself. :crackup:

19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I figure as long as Mongo keeps quoting me, I'm still ok. :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've called people niggers. Friends of mine. As a kid. I've said nigger please much more recently. I've been called a nigger. I'm not racist or even close to it.