1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deserting the Dynasty-

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mook, Dec 9, 2013.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But when they do push the limits and try to do something different, everyone says it sucks. I like that they don't just keep redoing "Kill em All" with slightly different lyrics every few years until they're too old to play (like ACDC).

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks for someone finally explaining wtf this is about. Now I can go back to not caring. :D

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

They had a pretty wide fanbase with "...And Justice for All !" It's quite obvious their sound changed drastically with the Black Album. This is mostly attributed to them hiring Bob Rock, a known glam rock producer (known for working with Motley Crue, Aerosmith and Bon Jovi) which is clearly a departure from their original trash metal roots, with glam and trash being at the opposites sides of the metal spectrum.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with their decision, I'm not even that much of a fan to start with, but their goal was clear when they made the decision to hire Rock and they have to live with the associated stigma. I totally understand where the hardcore fans come from.

I agree with Mongo when he says there is nothing wrong with making money. But like everything else, it comes at an expense.

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I thought the Chia-Head was a dead give away :D

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I met Phil the first time about 15 years ago at the SHOT Show in Vegas. I was working for Foiles and Winchester/Browning at the time. Me, Foiles and Phils guys were the waterfowl Pro-staff for Browning and Winchester. Phil is a different cat. We were filming an interview sequence during lunch and he sat there and ate a cheeseburger through the whole interview... shit all over in his beard. He was asked if he could finish eating after we were done filming and he refused because his burger would get cold.

Phil had been making calls and videos for a few years and struggling. He had his moment about 15 years ago that put him at the top. They were hunting mallards over a peanut field and they killed 3 drakes. They were discussing how much the ducks loved peanuts and he squoze some out of the mallards craw to show the camera. You could see the light pop on in his head... he got a handful of peanuts out of the duck, looked at the camera and then ate them. Then he started biting their heads to kill them. That was when his legend was born. Since then he has been on a continual rise.

I like Phil, his kids are good people and they live exactly what they preach. It's no show.

I have lost respect though from the merchandising. I cant blame the guy for making the money but theres got to be a line that doesnt get crossed. I saw "fear the beard" panties at walmart. WTF????

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I thought St.Anger had some decent cuts, some of them quite original actually, but I think by then, the original fans had lost their faith. Some of them can be quite sensitive lol

7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

This man understands what i'm trying to say.

8. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

All this ' Lost respect for them' and 'sellout' talk is total BS.

The Duck Dynasty merchandising rights are owned by the network owners (hearst and disney-abc). I highly doubt the robertsoms have any control on what products their likeness is put on.

The Duck Commander and Buck Commander products are owned by the Robertsons, and i havent seen anything questionable about those products at all.

So your angst should really be directed at the communications moguls for any 'sellout' you think might have happened.

9. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i thought metallica broke up after ride the lightning :confused:

10. TrackStar

Phil signed the contract.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He/they did sign the contract but I'm sure all it said was that the network would control marketing. It didn't say that there would be Camo Duck Dynasty brand toilet paper, "Fear the Beard" panties, etc. They could never have imagined the extent that their faces would be forced upon the public. I bet they're pretty tired of it too, although the checks that keep rolling in probably make it a little easier to stomach.

12. TrackStar

I know, I get it.

The problem as I see it is this: Networks are always looking for the next big thing. When they find it they ride it like a race horse right into the ground. Thats great for them on merch sales but what we are seeing is the downside. People who would be long time fans are sick of seeing it and leaving. Brightest flame burns quickest thing. Hope they make enough money to keep going after it's over and the people who were their bread and butter customers have all left because they didnt want to be associated with the joke it has become.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  13. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

They signed a contract to do a tv show, and to relinquish all marketing and merchandising to the producers.
    Wouldn't you?

Hell if I ever get that opportunity, yall better be ready for my face on EVERYTHING that can be screenprinted! I'd make KISS merchandising look like a poor effort!

14. No.

They have visited various churches and private Christian universities here in Nashville over this past year, and they hawk their licensed merchandise just as enthusiastically as any huckster.

15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

No, they died on that cold Swedish road with Cliff.

16. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Think about how many things they do that don't succeed. That stuff still costs money. Ride the winners.

Question: if DMG got Josh Hayes and Danny Eslick's faces in every gas station and Wal Mart because the AMA had become as popular as NASCAR, would they be sellouts too?

I imagine you'd be riding that wave to the bank as well.

17. TrackStar

Sure I would, and I wouldnt be surprised if the people who knew me when I was just a normal guy lost respect for me if they saw my face on toilet paper, air fresheners and my uncles beard on XXXL panties at the Walmart.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Of course their sound changed. That happens to all bands when they change producers. If that makes them a sellout, then so does signing their very first record deal. And yes, their fans are like most fans who don't know how to endure change. Whiny. :D

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Nobody likes or respects me, so I won't have that problem when I hit it big and my face is on panties at Kmart.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is that the sign that you've hit it big? Your face is on xxxl panties at Walmart?

Somebody WILL get a pair of those on the WERA Secret Santa Giveaway!!!