1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deer Rifle Question

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Ruger is a nice action, tikka is better, they're just smoooooth, savage shoots fine but isn't smooth and the axis is the budget version. :). 6.5 is better ballistically than the 270, just not much new for 270's, whereas the 6.5 generally has a newer design with a longer bullet that has a higher BC. That being said the 270 will do fine. 6.5 is also a short action if that matters to you. Put a brake on it and my 10 year old nephew shooting prone on a bipos was knocking down steel rams at 550 meters telling me where he hit it while watching it fall in the scope.

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no. Climbed up a hill to a bluff that was about 80' above the valley, put down a blanket I brought with me, popped out the bipod and just set up so I had a good visability of the corn field below. I did bring earplugs just in case.:crackup:If I seen a deer I was hoping it would had come up behind me and stand there looking at me. 1 650gr soft point center of chest should gut, clean and quarter it at once.:crackup:

Near the end of the day I did think about disintegrating a squirrel that was noisy as hell all day.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

6.5 Creed kills deer and hogs with ease

Point and shoot. I used the eld x and sst with equal results. Bullets are available everywhere I’ve been and cheap.

4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I've never seen so much hunting talk without anyone advocating the .308 as an all around choice. Drop down to 110grain's for hogs, 150'a for deer, 180's for bigger, it does lots of things really well.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, but there are a lot of calibers that do it better, with less recoil.

Newsshooter likes this.
  6. bored&stroked

I've never considered the recoil to be large or bothersome?
    Another plus would be all this different ammo is available at every gun store out there.

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

There isn't a hunter alive that hasn't had that same thought at least once, if not every day. lol :)

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Follow through and spotting your impact are two advantages of lighter recoils, along with the ability to put a lot of practice rounds down range without fatigue.
    I dont know about you, but I'd never consider going on a hunt without bringing a sufficient amount of ammo that I am confident.

bored&stroked likes this.
  9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I had a Remington 660 in .308 when I was a kid. It killed on one end and wounded on the other. It was a cheap piece of crap but was damn accurate and deer killing machine.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I like a 308 but I want it in an AR-10 platform. For a bolt gun I’d have to go for one of the newer rounds.

11. Newsshooter

Can't go wrong with a seekins AR10, you can get it in 6.5 CM too. :)

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, but I’m a firm believer in battle rifles being in military calibers.

bored&stroked likes this.
  13. Woofentino Pugr

But with a .50bmg? :crackup:

14. Woofentino Pugr

Can do .243 also.

Newsshooter likes this.
  15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You can get a 6mm creedmore which is a .243 just thrown a bit faster depending on bullet weight and powder.

16. bored&stroked

Better get a 7.62x51 AR then :D
    I love my FAL sofa king much.

17. Newsshooter

I like like bullets with high BC's, thus a gas gun shooting 80's, 123's and 140's. Military calibers get changed too, they recently adopted the 6.5 creedmoor. :)

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

375 Ruger. It works well on everything and you are never undergunned.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Anything wrong with the old standard? You know, a Win lever carbine in 30-30...the epitome of a deer rifle.

20. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member