1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deer Rifle Question

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Oct 18, 2013.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but with range finders and drop retical scopes, compensating on the fly for long range isn't exactly difficult. FWIW my 30-06 is sighted in at 200 meters but it's with a custom load.

2. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Range finders, drop retical scopes, custom loads .......what are those! :D

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I think Dad's .270 vanguard is about 25 years old and has been each of my brothers "gun" when we didn't have our own. It's taken an unknown number of deer.

Picked up a vanguard in 7mm-08 yesterday. Really like the 7mm-08, anybody can shoot it and it beats up the pigs.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

+1. With the trusty old 45-70 and iron sights just aim to point of impact if you can see the whites of the eye. If not, aim about a foot high!

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Yes.

6. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Hahaha!!! Classic piece of weaponry right there!! I always liked those old caliber rifles!

7. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Digging this thread back up. I recently moved to central Texas and am in the market for a rifle to take down some deer and hogs in the area. Have the opinions in this thread changed any in the last 5 years?

I'm leaning towards the Ruger American Predator as the platform, but I'm still undecided on caliber. I was originally thinking 30-06, but Big John at Cabela's told me that's probably too much for the game I'll find around here and was steering me towards 270 or 308. Out of those two I'm leaning towards 270 because I like the faster, flatter ballistics, but I've also been reading good things about the 6.5 Creedmore. Only one person mentioned it in this thread and I'm wondering if anyone else has warmed up to the round.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's a popular round lately but I think ammo is pretty expensive.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I like the 260 Remington. 6.5mm bullet, great ballistic coefficient, and cheaper than the Creedmore. Its a stellar round.

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Main "deer" rifle I use is a .300win if I have quite a few hundred yards of open lanes. Shorter range brushy areas a .450Bushmaster AR. For doing drives a .300blk AR carbine. Then again I've taken my Barrett out deer hunting just to piss some asshole off who went apeshit about my ar I was using.

neckbrace likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you shoot anything with it? Was there anything left?

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Having shot 800+ rounds out of my 6.5 since the beginning of May, I think I would go with it for a deer rifle too. Of the other two you mentioned, I'd go 270, but its going to have more recoil too.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Creedmoor is a little less finicky than the 260, but otherwise basically equal. In what way are you finding it more expensive?

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I dig my .270 hunting rifle. It's a great round.

15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

piling on to this recently refreshed thread- looks like im going to be doing an elk hunt in 2019. wyoming. i havent got a ton of details yet but it will be a guided hunt from my understanding and i definitely do not have an elk caliber. i dont know the typical ranges that we will get opportunities at.

caliber selections? looking for something bolt action, cali legal even though im purchasing specifically for this trip. probably a savage since my long range target rifle is savage and i love it. i have a .270 rem 700 that was my father's and it suited his needs but im wondering if thats a bit small on the caliber?

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

A proper shot with a .270 will take down elk in the rocky mountains no problem. Been there, done that.

socalrider likes this.
  17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No it isn't cheaper than creedmoor ammo, no more or less finicky than .260 either. Lots of choice for 6.5 CM ammo now, pretty much everyone is making it in hunting and match ammo. Last time I was in wally world they had four different brands of 6.5 CM and no .260 ammo. I shoot a 6.5 for matches and hunting, upwards of 2k rounds a year. Good round, lots of bullet options and now everyone is making it too.

For Elk it would work but I'd want something a bit bigger. Euro Optic is clearing out their remaining Tikka T3's, they have a 7Rem mag, 300 win mag and 300 wsm available. https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-View-All-T3-Rifles.aspx
    Tikka's are really nice actions, good trigger too. I've have a couple savages and a couple tikka's, the tikka's are just about as smooth as my custom actions, actually it is smoother than my stiller action.

All bolt actions are legal in Calif, no restrictions on stocks or features. If you're going to hunt you will need lead free bullets.

18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Dang, that's a good price for a wood stocked 270win. Any comparison between the Ruger American and the Tikka T3 or Savage Axis II?

I've read the distance shooting thread and it seems like the 6.5 CM is the round of choice there and that's another reason I'm swaying in that direction. While I may not be looking for a dedicated precision platform, I'd like for the rifle to be dual purpose and be able to hit some paper targets at a distance.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well thanks a whole hell of a lot...bastard:D

I'm perfectly happy with my Savage Model 11 .243, but those Tikka's are like an Aston Martin compared to my Savage. I may pick up one of these Tikka's and relegate the Savage to the locker. Worse part is I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade with a Leupold but it's so nice I'm afraid to take it out of the case and actually use it.

gt#179 likes this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have a Savage and thought it was pretty decent, but now that I have my Tikka, I'd have a hard time going with anything else.

rd400racer likes this.