1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah. You flip me off, and I'll laugh and send you a kiss or a peace sign back. Do it all the time on the street, it makes me laugh how much more mad they get. Brake check me, on a bike, on track? We're gonna have an incident later on in the pits.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I got lapped twice in a race when I was just starting out. It's very likely that it was even by Danny as he was in a couple of my races (different class). He didn't flip me off though.

backcountryme likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

So much for the old blame-the-bike routine....The bottom pull is exactly as it came off track, 121 with Sunoco. The second is with MR-12 on Map2, 127. This dyno has some kind of correction factor built in, +10% I think, to mimic a Dynojet. But they tell me that this is about what they see on SS builds for R6s. For comparison, they had a Livengood Stage 3 build R6 there last week, it made 140 on MR-12, and it's a bit tired and using a quart of oil every weekend.

The 848 made 143 on MR-12, so that accounts for the difference in top speed at Daytona. I think the R6 can get to the same top speed, but the drive is more critical, it doesn't have the torque. Also take a look at the last part of the map, I think the MR-12 would have really helped at Daytona where you're in the high part of the RPM range for a long period. Of course that would have added about $1,300 to the fuel bill!

[​IMG]

MGM and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Well... crap. What are these things making on pump gas?

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

They run different Sunoco gas now, vs. 2012-13 when Ty ran, but at that time they said pump would probably make a hair more than the sunoco? Ty's last race at Road America 2013, we dyno'd two bikes at Road America on the Dynojet Dyno. One made 119.4 with very little time on it and the other one made 119.9 and was fresh.

6. It must have been tired. As funny as it might sound since we are talking about a MW bike, that HP is on the low side for a Livengood Stage III Superbike build (depending on which cams somebody goes with, if they go with the Graves Velocity Stacks, etc).

I mean, it must have been really tired, as in several years old. I know what that build makes even after 2 full seasons, plus track days (and even after all of that time it still didn't burn much oil, maybe 1/4qt over a whole weekend).

7. Gino230

The Livengood bike, I know it is about 2 years old, it's been raced a lot. The guy is getting ready to send him the whole bike for a refresh, but he wanted a baseline first.

This dyno does read a little high, but they did have a fresh SS build in there recently that also made about 120. But man, even worn out that Livengood build is pretty stout!

I'm going to do a leak down on mine, I find it hard to believe that after 2 D-200s and 2 seasons of sprint racing, it's still making full power?

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Which is sort of how he beat Russell even though he was the leading bike out of the chicane on the last lap of the 1996 Daytona 200. Russell was on his tail setting up for the slingshot when DuHamel briefly let off on the throttle. Russell reacted enough that it killed his drive.

deepsxepa likes this.
  9. I would say the chances that your bike is still making full power are slim to none after 2 different D200s and 2 years of sprint races.

Livengood has an "experimental" R6 motor in his shop that he expects will put 160hp to the wheel (on MR12), while still having a 1000-racing-miles rebuild schedule.

Well, he did have. Haha. The worked over and Ported Head from that motor is on my bike. :D

418, Gino230 and omatter34 like this.
  10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Don't forget that Dyno numbers are only good for comparison on the exact same dyno.

11. Gino230

^^^ Exactly. So if I do a leak down and this thing needs a freshening up....now I will have a good baseline to start with. Also, this is the same dyno I used to tune the 848 so I have a pretty good idea where the bikes compare.

12. Yep. That's why Livengood always does a baseline run before he does anything. Then when he brings the bike with him to the track (or I pick it up), he has both dyno runs (before and after) on the same sheet.

13. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

160hp at the back wheel on a R6? You do spout some bullshit on here but this is the best yet!

humblepie and Greg S like this.
  14. I said "he expects" 160 at the wheel based upon other builds and his experience. It is a bored and stroked motor...so it isn't a "600" anymore.

He has built many R6's that put a true 150hp to the wheel (on MR12) without being "stroker" motors. This motor is an experiment.

You don't have to believe me personally, just do some searching and asking around for yourself. He has built Stage III Superbike motors for a lot of people (especially in CCS, he has built all of Jim Cohrs' motors).

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

When are you going to talk him into making you a crossplane 600? :D

16. BTW - you just saw someone else (who has no association with me or Livengood) just post how an old, tired, Stage III SB motor still made 140hp. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that a new one, that is stroked, and with different cams (something else he is experimenting with), would make 160.

But like I said, that is just what he is thinking it will make, the motor isn't completed (because the custom Head is on my bike, and he was trying to sort out something with valve springs).

I'm just passing on what I've been told. I have nothing to gain from making up numbers about a motor that I didn't build, and that isn't even mine. But from what I have seen and heard, I have no reason to doubt that number.

17. :D

He wants me to be on an R1 really bad. He has been building/working with them since before they were available to the public (he is contracted to the Westby team). So he knows them very well, and I could benefit from all of their trial and error over the past 2 years.

I just don't like how a SS legal Liter bike is only legal for 3 classes...and I want to get away from racing multiple bikes. I will never be happy with only doing 3 races.

That is the main reason I got the 1299S. Of course I thought it was badass and all that, but I'm not brand biased towards any of them. The only reason I got it over the R1 is because as a Twin in SS trim, it is legal for 5 classes.

If/when Ducati releases that V4, it is going to mess everything up because I will REALLY want one, but it will only be legal for 3 classes (and I'm trying to get away from racing 2-3 different bikes).

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Threadjack! While we fled the blizzard in the Boston area to enjoy bike week in Daytona...... Linky :D

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Wasn't he also known for kicking at riders he thought were too slow to be on track with him?

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you will have that HP dyno curve on an r6 (drop off after peak power) .. 14,200 rpm or so is where peak power is, the rest (to rev limit) is over-rev. But i have never seen a dyno curve for an r6, that climbs to the rev limit like a Duc might..

Also, most SB motors will burn oil, especially if the head is ported. I'm not sure if it's only due to much of the valve guides gone from porting, the ring design, the piston and overbore, or a combo of all above, but even fresh, they burn a bit o' oil. At least mine do, and the other guys i know that have em..