1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 to be run under lights on Friday night!

Discussion in 'General' started by GSmann, Sep 26, 2008.

1. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Why call a series that brings bikes to the track that wouldn't normally be there, "trash and a waste"? Clearly there are people who want to race them. And none of them were running with WERA (at least not regularly as far as I can tell) so I don't see the competiton aspect of it being a valid arguement. I guess if you just hate twin cylinder sportbikes I could understand. But you seem borderline offended by the mere concept of MotoST. If I didn't know better, I'd say you are possibly a closet SV rider.

:D

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Which is why you like ST so much I guess.

3. BMWIVAN

BMWIVAN Stick wanna-be

Yep, do it and see what happens. Gotta have all the pieces to the 5000 piece puzzle to make it work though. Good teams, good talent, good staff, good marketing, and a good enough economy that people will show up.

I just heard this morning that video game sales are up something like 53% over last year. As long as people would rather sit in the dark staring at fake cartoon boobies and shooting aliens on a nice day I'm not holding out much hope for spectator turnouts at anything with a required attention span over 5 minutes. (TV sports meet this criteria as they give you lots of commercials to satisfy required ADD levels)

4. BiZ

I dunno. Never been there. But I do know that motorcycles and cars aren't the same. And after all the blah blah about the night race at Qatar, I'd think they'd want to give it a try on a smaller event first.

5. BMWIVAN

BMWIVAN Stick wanna-be

Whatever dude. You, me, built 1970 Honda CB750's with 35mm forks, clapped out shocks and 100hp on any road you choose.

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

So, would lower temps allow them to run 1000's?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope....

8. TTR174

TTR174 Rescue and restoration of 60's and 70's bikes

Who starts an endurance race at night? I'm not sold on the idea and well Daytona is pretty much a novelty track anyway. Unless they move the date it's not worth attending for the first race of the year. Especially with all of the rule changes and product lists / sponsors, I see it being even more difficult to build a bike and have it ready by then.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Endurance racing at night kicks ass. If you've never been to one then you really need to do so - I know I'll be there for the 200 if I'm not at one of our races.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mongo, pick me up a t shirt and a giant foam #1 hands while you're there? I can't make it, previous engagement and all. :D

11. Keet

Keet Well-Known Member

with the D200 being run friday night, and the supercross being run saturday night, doesn't it seem the D200 is playing second fiddle to the supercross?

12. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Well, speaking as a westcoast guy, it would be nice to watch it on a friday evening live.

Having never been to Daytona, how can Michelin and Bridgestone build a tire that lasts 22 laps at Indy but Dunlop can't build one to handle the 1000's and Daytona?

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

biz, I actually like v twins especially 2 smokes. :D. I love endurance racing. I even like the two combined like reese cups but I don't think the series has any place on an already crowded AMA race weekend and the rolling start is total crap.

But who cares what I think, I'm not the DMG targeted audience. I'm sure they will have no problem replacing me as a fan from the millions of grand am fans.

14. BiZ

So if MotoST was totally independant, or at least totally non-conflicting with AMA or whoever ends up running the big leagues, you'd be singing a different tune? I can live with that.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

nope. :D. But I'd only be muttering under my breathe to myself. :D

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Huge difference in the configuration of the track and it's banking and big difference in the weight of the bikes

17. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

WERA runs ones that end at night, or run all night, and those are races where you actually need to use the lights on the bike! Having ridden or crewed in all of the above I'll agree with Monga its great racing. Daytona will be better for spectating because it will actually be light enough for spectators to see, and you can sit in the stands and pretty much see the whole track.

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I just want to see the bikes spittin flames on the downshift coming off the banking!

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

On my salary cap statement I am speaking about all of those that run in the AMA. It likely won't affect most people (like those that pay to race there. :) )

What is a good number? I don't know. Just throwing ideas out there.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What's that supposed to mean there, Sunshine? :D