1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 to be run under lights on Friday night!

Discussion in 'General' started by GSmann, Sep 26, 2008.

1. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

2. joec

joec brace yourself

do you think that will kill the television audience??

3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i notice its still sponsored by honda....think that's a typo, or an expectation, or a sign of commitment by honda to DMG/AMA for next season??

4. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Damn it. Thats pretty cool. I love the races under the lights. Motogp kinda started a trend that I think alot of people will like.

5. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

i think it will draw in a larger tv audience. March on a friday night. there is noting on tv

6. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

You know, you'd think they'd test things out first before just going out and saying they're gonna do this. Doesn't it get a bit nippy in March at night, even for Daytona? And what about the lights... I would think they'd need to upgrade the lighting to meet the needs of motorcycles. I've never been there, so I'm just guessing. Either way, you'd think they'd try it out on a club race first to see if it's even viable, before announcing that they're gonna do the D200 that way.

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I bet it will be a large tv audience by Honda

8. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I can't wait.......hopefully it will be some good racing. under the lights will be cool.

9. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Sweet. Making Daytona a night race totally makes it worth watching. Maybe I should try painting the living room at night too.

10. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

NASCAR has been racing under the lights since the 70's. Sports cars have been racing at night since... forever. Various motorcycle endurance races go into the night, or through it. What's to figure out?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

because bikes are not cars and running a place as dangerous as daytona during the day is pucker factor enough. Throw in both bankings and dark sections it's going to be scary as a strung out hooker with a box cutter.

12. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i would think possibly shadows etc that may come into play with different type turns vs. a simple oval. or one second lighting is fine, another its blinding you. maybe none of that is an issue, i dunno, never raced at night.

13. Knarf Legna

There have been plenty of races held on the road course at Daytona in the past at night. Some even by the guys now running AMA Pro racing. ;)

14. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

So is this race for the 600's or the 1000's?

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

frank, don't 24 hour endurance bike run with lights? Mine did. They going to add them to the front of the daytona minibikes for the race?

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

So will the bikes have lights on them?

17. Knarf Legna

Don't know what they'll do, imagine they will.

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

When we ran the 8hr there, my riders told me the could almost see better without having the lights turned on .

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

you know what, I don't care. Some will run the race, others won't. Some will watch the race, others won't.

I'll have no stake in the game and I'm tired of getting pissed off about everything that dmg does.

20. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

Isn't that what they are doing? Didn't Mladin say the DMG series is just a glorified club race? :D