1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Air Repair

Discussion in 'General' started by maslov, May 22, 2018.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Can you speak to the bolded part a bit? Everyone says there version is better, but I haven't seen a technical reason why. Not that I'm doubting you, but they look similar enough to a simpleton like me.

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I was curious about that too as I didn’t know Dianese had more than one air bag. I looked up that suit and while it does have a little more coverage it’s still a fair amount less than the tech air setup. Basically the entire back, ribs, shoulders and chest all inflates with tech air. Not the best image but it shows it pretty well.

Attached Files:

sdiver and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

The newest version from Dainese offers more chest/sternum coverage and kidney. To the best of my knowledge this is still in development with Alpinestars.

As Spooner posted above yo can see the images of the differences.

And yes, they both feel their product is better than the other. I see pros/cons to each...

4. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

At 5'9 and 250lbs with legs like tree trunks I can't fit into anything off the rack that's not gonna end up 6" to long in the arms and legs. Love A* designs but they just don't look right when you start trimming the legs and arms because it's all gotta be done above the elbow and knee not below, and yeah I don't foresee myself spending $6000 on a custom airbag suit anytime soon

418 likes this.
  5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

has anyone actually had an alpinestar air bag go off and sent it in for repair or replacement/repacking? I know with Dainese it took them a while to get up to speed and work out the kinks with getting things repaired and replaced. Just curious if A* hit the ground running with theirs?

FYI Mugello R is the kangaroo latest generation air bag system, retail about $4500. The Misano is the standard leather with the original air bag system, about $2500. For comparison the Kyalami is their standard kangaroo leathers, about $2000. Not as nice features as the Mugello, but still a nice suit.

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I just sent a text to Garet Tomlinson who runs tech air in the US about turnaround time.

“Shipping is your longest wait.
    Once we have it it can be shipping back the following day.
    Someone shipped one 2 days ago we got it yesterday it's shipping back today.
    It's quite fast”

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Dianese had two airbag suits available. There is a D-air custom shop in Orlando now, where I happen to work, so I was thinking of making an appointment. I fit fine in the off the rack suits, but by the time I send it away for lettering and patches I'm up to $3k minimum. However getting over $4k is a bit pricey for me.

I have said before, the airbag suits aren't for everyone, but my last collarbone cost me 6 weeks off work, which can more than pay for itself given the extra $1000 premium.

The other issue is that I have seen lots of suits blow apart at the seams, tear, etc. during crashes, you generally don't see that with a Dianese. I don't have experience with Alpinestars but I would imagine it's the same. You get what you pay for in most instances.

My teammate had his D-air altered by a less than knowledgeable party, who sewed right through the airbag. He high sided himself to the freaking moon and it still inflated. He didn't find out until the suit made it back to Dianese for repairs. Saved him from a 4th shoulder surgery. YMMV, of course.

8. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

You're better off getting a standard fit Misano that's custom colors but standard fit. That would be $2500, plus the color fee of $650, then any discounts you get (if any).

9. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

New astars tech air has more chest etc coverage than even the dainese mugello v2

sdiver likes this.
  10. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

FWIW, here is a bunch of info I learned when looking into these. For the record, bought a Tech-Air setup. Started out interested in a D-Air setup but changed directions after getting more info.

D-Air
    Two versions as mentioned. V1 version is in lower end suits - up to but not including Mugello R. Virtually no chest/sternum protection. V2 is in Mugello R and has some chest protection. Accelerometer and microprocessor controlled. You get a single deployment and then the entire suit goes back. While it's gotten better apparently, it's still currently reportedly over 2 weeks including shipping for a repair/recharge.

Tech-Air
    Two versions - race and street. Focusing on the "race" version, it can also be set to race or street mode and can be use with select street jackets in addition to the Tech-Air ready "V2" AStars suits. Has a good bit of chest and sternum protection Accelerometer and microprocessor controlled. Big advantage for the TechAir is that for all "vest" sizes smaller than the 2XL, you get TWO deployments when in race mode. Apparently due to its larger volume, the 2XL uses both charges for a single deployment. There is a conflict in sizing for the 2XL. Online charts say that a 48/58 suit requires a 2XL however the actual manual says that a 48/58 uses an XL. I'm a 48/58 and I'm using an XL. Vest attaches in the suit with two zippers and 3 velcro sections - as well as a wire in the suit with an RJ11 type plug that plugs into the vest. Takes a bout 1 minute to put the vest in the suit. Vest can be easily moved back and forth between V2 TechAir compatible suits. You can get the TechAir vest along with the GP Pro suit for about $2K total. Just a few hundred more for the GP Tech suit. AlpineStars continues to maintain no more than 2 day turnaround plus shipping for service/recharge. If you go down and the suit is OK, you can just wear a back and chest protector and you're good. If you want two suits to go between, you only need one vest.

Both of these things use microprocessors and accelerometers to function. They have algorithms that understand the difference between a high side and a low side, etc so they minimize useless deployments. Just had a very minor low side with the setup a few weeks ago - it performed correctly and did not deploy. My old Hit-Air would have. But because of this I wouldn't expect field serviceable units anytime soon. Also, reportedly Dainese is possibly bringing a new air product out sometime before long. Alpinestars clearly has more coverage than even the newer style D-Air - however the two companies handle neck protection differently. Alpinestars insists that their system is better in that area - but so does Dainese.

IMHO either system is worth the expense. All it takes is one bad crash. I went with Tech-Air because it was just more flexible and I liked the broader chest coverage.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Does the airbag "arm" without being plugged into the A* suit? Is that just a display connection or something more.

12. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Good question. It arms when the two magnetic tabs on the front attach. The plug is for the sleeve display.

418 likes this.
  13. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Oh and when the switch on the back is already turned on.

418 likes this.
  14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

On paper feature for feature, Tech Air blows D-Air away. It's really not even close.

Better air bag coverage, transfers to another suit or jacket, multiple modes, 2 charges, cheaper/faster/easier repairs. The X factor is Marquez as crash tester. :D

15. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

It doesn’t matter if it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, if it’s NOT available. It sucks that the KTM and BMW dealers in Europe have first priority over any US dealer.

I can get a D-Air suit to most parts of the US in 2 days.

Gino230 likes this.
  16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Glad I got mine over the Winter then.

17. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

You should be, people looking now won’t be so lucky.

We have yet to receive the 20 vests we ordered last August. Not quite the service you would expect when you’ve sold a few thousand of their suits.

18. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Funny, as I was reading through this thread, I was thinking about the conversation we had last night about the pros and cons of both systems and then got to this. . .:D

19. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Just to add a little more to overall conversation: personally I think the Tech Air is a better system but to fully take advantage of it, you’re spending a lot more than just an airbag and the suit. The Dainese coverage is not as complete as the Tech air, but that’s easily alleviated with a chest and rib protector (which has the advantage of full time coverage regardless of an electronic or algorithmic failure - or not hitting the correct speed to have it go off). Personally, I wear a Knox with mine, and yeah, it's super tight - but on the bike, I don't even know it's there.

Nothing against A* but I think Dainese suits are better made (I was slightly pissed getting a 1500.00 A* suit and seeing that it was made in China (not Tech Air) and then having the screen printing on it start to rub off after a couple times riding with it). Then there’s fit and preference. Dainese fits me like a second skin and A* fit is much more relaxed and has more room in all the wrong places (for me - the D-air is great on the bike and sucks off it; total opposite for A*). I was fortunate that I got to ride in them back to back to see the immediate differences - no brainer for how I'm built and what I like in fit and feel. If a rack A* fit me like a rack Dainese – much tougher choice.

All crashes are different, if you crash a A* and burn a hole through it, does it matter that you have a second charge?Still got to get the suit repaired (or get a new one to throw the vest in). These are worst case scenario suits - no sense in not continuing that exercise and assume either will structurally survive a crash.

Dainese also has the internal boot system. . .I think it doesn’t look right but still got a pair last week because I hate when the leathers are positioned wrong in the boot causing pressure points (haven’t ridden with them yet but holy shit is it awesome from a feel perspective just around the house).

Both are insurance that have the potential to be very good investments; both also have drawbacks (and obvious strengths). With what’s going on in GP right now (with airbag coverage of the hips and thighs) a couple years from now, the argument isn’t going to be which brand, but if you should get just upper body coverage or upper body and leg coverage.

The fact we’re debating about which air bag system is the best one is fucking awesome in my book. . .because that means we actually have access to those systems to have the debate. . .:bow:

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I switched to the in-boot system last year. I hesitated for a long time because the boots themselves are so expensive, I was used to finding closeout deals on Sidi boots for years. But the comfort level is off the chart.