1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Air Repair

Discussion in 'General' started by maslov, May 22, 2018.

1. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

From what I’ve learned that the suit needs to be design to match the air bag, and also it need to be able to expand to accommodate for the “blown up” airbag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

418 likes this.
  2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Yes this is the exact reason not lack of ability to repair. It's protectionism, it's poor customer service and it's wrong. IMHO take it or leave it.

For those talking about speed to market, I've worn an airbag vest in the US since 2012, far before Dainese brought theirs to the U.S.

I'd love to see any proof on the "safer" claim in MotoGP.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

It is to my understanding if the suit won't expand enough when the airbag deploy's then the airbag will injure the rider. If the suit is to loose the airbag won't do as good a job. However I understand what you're saying as I am looking into getting a suit made that can accommodate the vest being as I don't fit anything off the rack

418 likes this.
  4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Anyone know what exactly recharging it entails?

It can’t be all that difficult.

I’m surprised nobody has figured out how to bootleg the system yet.

Not only that but damn I remember many times I’d have 3 Race weekends per month. Guess I’d have to buy two suits?

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I think it's not so much the charging aspect that is the challenge. My guess is they want to check the integrity of the bag and systems before they are willing to let you go back out there. The Alpinestars setup has two charges and you can send the airbag part in separate from the suit. RS Taichi actually uses the Alpinestars system in their airbag suit now.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the TechAir plugs in to the suit. I bet it doesn't turn "on" otherwise and I bet the suit electronics must be "correct" as well. im sure someone could spoof it, but why bother.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

Exactly. Great technology but not everybody fits in a A* suit.

8. Great points and just like a lot of products people buy, they don’t look into any details first. Not say that’s the case with the OP but it’s part of the deal. That suits not just an airbag, it’s a system and what they are doing is like you stated, verifying and rebuilding the system thus ensuring the integrity. I’m sure as these suits get more common certified places will come with it but they are relatively new to the market and not a lot of people are willing to pay for the technology let alone the ROI for what it would take for a network of service centers.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

There are several custom leathers manufacturers who have licensed Tech Air. Also, RS Taichi will do custom sizing.

10. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

The airbag uses a explosive device to inflate the airbag. Explosion creates helium and fills the bag. It’s a one time use thing and doesn’t get recharged. For the $250 you get a new bag and new explosive charge. The computer data is downloaded and systems checked.

Our experience is that most people that go down this road have at least 2 of these. It’s just the way it works now. I’m not sure you can put a price on preventing a broken collarbone or separated shoulder, but even if you had three $6k custom suits, $18k seems like a bargain to me to not experience that shit.

One thing to note too is A*’s doesn’t make custom items.

11. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Sure will, at quite the premium too. Last time I looked into a custom sized Taichi suit I was told they start at $3000. So add in the vest and you're over $4000 for a single suit. Can someone who's had a custom D-air suit comment on price?

12. shakazulu12

Dainese custom starts at 40 percent over standard MSRP. Good chance that someone getting Taichi may not need a full custom though. They have way more sizing options than most suit makers.

13. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I’ve heard that a custom d-air can cost up to $5k... I will say I knew what I was getting into. It has proven to have done its job and protect my already injured shoulder... so even if I buy another one to have ready to go while the other is being replaced, it’s money well spent! And luckily they fit like a glove for me off the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The gp max one? Their top race suit was always around the $3,000 mark. Same for alpinestars and dianese without the airbag.

15. Blue Junk

A Dainese customs works product is the price of the suit, plus $750 for custom fit and $650 for custom colors. There is also an addition fee for patches @ $35/ea IIRC. It used to be more convoluted than that, but this is the new pricing structure and much easier to deal with.

So, a new Mugello R is $4499, plus the fees above. It not unheard of for a suit to be $5500-6500. This is the most expensive model in their lineup and also the most protective on the market. The airbag in this offer a lot more coverage than the standard Dainese airbag and the Tech-Air.

16. Blue Junk

This isn’t accurate as stated above. Just FYI.

17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

If you say you don’t fit the astars suits you really owe it to yourself to try on the tech air compatible suits. They have a lot more stretch and that seems to make them more ‘generous’ on the fit. For sure having the airbag system separate is a huge convenience. I’ll have to double check tomorrow but turnaround time on recharges and repacked is usually just a few days. Plus if you really are tight on time and the suit itself is not damaged you can always use a regular back protector and continue to use the suit without the airbag.

18. 418

418 Expert #59

For that kinda money it better ride the bike too. Damn.

I don't see paying over $2K for a suit.

19. shakazulu12

It was when I went to get measured for one. My mistake, that was a couple years ago and not the Air model. They have measuring days at my local Ducati dealership where I was given that info.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm 64 Euro size. They don't make anything for Fatties.