1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Air Repair

Discussion in 'General' started by maslov, May 22, 2018.

1. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

So I had a fall... luckily no damage what so ever to the leathers, but I’m pretty sure the bag deployed as I felt like a damn Michelin man. It did it’s thing and my shoulder that I damaged mountain biking last year was in perfect condition after...

Anyway, does anyone have experience sending the suit in for repair/ repack or whatever? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. David.B.

David.B. Active Member

Glad to hear it did its job well.

Yes, you need to send it back to the dealer you purchased it from originally. They'll then ask Dainese for the quote. If it only needs the airbag re-charged, that should cost around $250. If it needs more repairs, they'll let you know about that too.

I made a mistake of buying one from Italy and I had to send it back there for repacking. It's pain in the ass in terms of customs and duties and stuff. I bought another one in US, so that should be easier for sending it back for repairs.

If you had bought the suit from a private party, you should have the serial number inside the garment and have it registered in your name with Dainese first before they can service it, as far as I understand.

Hope that helps.

Brian_J and maslov like this.
  3. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Thank you! Luckily I bought it from STG. I’ll reach out to them.

4. David.B.

David.B. Active Member

Yup. You shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

And this is the reason I never bought DAir or consider any Dainese product. Refusing to service their own product in the States. SMH.

Glad Tech Air is finally here it's a superior system.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

you do remember that only a few years ago, A* riders were breaking collar bones, while the Dainese riders were not :Poke:

The Great One likes this.
  7. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you... Dainese service could be better, yet they were successful getting to the market faster... I hope both companies improve and provide an affordable air suit for the masses.

BigBird likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

seems like the basis for a good magazine article! Living with Air Bag Suits. :D

9. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Just like women... can’t live with them, can’t live without them... and you end up spending a small fortune on them.

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

You have to send it back to Dainese, not STG. I have not blown my airbag yet, but my teammate did and he got his serviced and back in about 3 weeks.

This was only an issue for people who bought the suits in Europe and brought them over before they were able to sell them legally in the US. See the "Kill all lawyers" for reasons why. Those suits had to be serviced in Europe.

I'm with @BigBird on this one, you can bitch about Dianese all you want, but they got their product to the US market 2 years before A-stars did.

Riders Discount and maslov like this.
  11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

The reason it wasn’t serviced here in the states was that they didn’t have the ability to, not that they refused to service the product they sold. That was the reason they didn’t sell them here, they couldn’t provide the service.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Also at the same time in MotoGP, the Dainese suits seemed to outperform the A* and save the riders body at a higher rate.

Gino230 likes this.
  13. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Dainese is trying to help protect the US dealers from gray market sellers. The US distributor handles service on US sold product and the euro distributors handle service on the euro sold product. If you were a stocking dealer that had $50-100k of product on the shelf this isn't a bad thing.

The Great One and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

This^^^ They have added to their staff to bring the service time down, but 2-3 weeks is the average.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

one of my teammates has his Misano suit in for repairs. he dropped it off in Costa Mesa. it took Dainese 6 weeks to get him a quote for the repairs. the quote was for $1320, which is nearly as much as he paid for the suit. the repair cost seems excessive as we'd both have no problem racing in the suit as-is. servicing the airbag is only ~$250 of all that, as others have said. so now he gets to haggle with them.

if they won't do only the airbag, im just buying a Kyalami instead of the Misano. or maybe the trick is to get a suit "repaired" elsewhere first then take it to Dainese for the airbag.

16. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Wow, that’s crazy! To this point I have toyed with an idea of switching to A-stars... as you can simply send in the airbag for service and not the suit. But once again, these damn Dainese fit me so well and even with my recent get off faired very well with basically no damage.

17. Sure you didn’t just fart instead of shitting yourself? :)

18. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Maybe a little of both...

19. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Communicate to them you do not wants it back to an original spec, just what is needed to get the suit repacked and usable.

One thing to remember in the debate of the 2 brands is that Dainese stands behind their suit being a certified safety device and needs to meet their safety standard. So that means they are not repairing suits, they rebuild them. They don't add patches to damaged areas, they un-stitch the suit and replace that panel that's specific to that suit (hence the need for a serial number).

I personally don't know that comparing the 2 to one another really does either of them justice...

20. 418

418 Expert #59

Anybody running a TechAir with a different suit than a A*?

I know they say it needs to be a compatible suit, but I've having hard time understanding why you couldn't wear that thing under any suit.