1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you shoot a pistol accurately when scared shirtless? :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Dec 28, 2011.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Smarterest post in this thread. :up:

Use of a firearm means your self-defense plan has failed.

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The only way to know the answer is to be in fear of your life in that situation. Not really something we can do in training. We can try but not get completely realistic. The military gets to get a little closer with their Special Ops training but no one can be dead on.

The groggy feeling when first woken buy something unusual is why I don't keep a weapon within reach of my bed. I don't want to be holding a loaded firearm in that situation.

3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Get a big German Shepard, they like to bark:up:

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i think shooting accurately is the (relatively) easy part. Hitting the bad guy is a secondary priority. Right after NOT hitting any other members of my family.

what worries me somewhat is drawing/finding/safely handling a firearm in a dark room and half asleep. Practicing loading a magazine blindfolded would probably be advisable.

Like anything, practice and plan. Before I keep a loaded firearm in my bedroom, I need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do when my dogs run toward the intruder. Suddenly a shotgun is decidedly NOT the best home defense weapon for my needs.

If you wanted to get really serious about being prepared, have someone set the alarm on your phone for the middle of the night. Don't let them tell you what day, or time. You'll wake up truly surprised, and see how long it really takes you to get your shit together.

extreme? sure. but it would definitely help prepare you for the real thing.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Just noticed phone corrected flying to dying lol

But yea. Basically. I know many clueless gun nuts. Almost as many as clueless motorcycle riders.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty rare to find a pet who will actually do much good in protecting its owner.

first, it's my job to protect my dogs, not their job to protect me.

second, dogs aren't bullet-proof. If the bad guy is willing to shoot you, he's not going to hesitate to shoot your dog.

third; and perhaps most importantly, it's hard to find a good PET that is also a good guard dog.

My dogs might alert me to the fact that someone was in the house, but it's unlikely that they would wake up if I didn't... Even assuming they do wake up, unless a squirrel or a cat break into my house, my beagle mutt isn't doing jack-shit to "attack" the intruder. We've taught him to be good with guests, not treat them like intruders. My rottweiler is more skeptical of new people, and he MIGHT be useful in actually protecting me, but I certainly wouldn't bank on it. I do think he will serve as somewhat of a deterrent if someone comes looking through a window and sees him, but honestly, if someone has truly scoped out my house, they'll know that the Rottie is a bigger sweetheart than the beagle.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Kind of like the day I fell asleep on the couch after I had changed my ringtone to the submarine general emergency alarm. When my phone rang I jumped up like a complete moron freaking out and wondering what the emergency was. Hadn't served on a submarine for over 15 years and it still brought me from a dead sleep in less than a second. Had I been armed I would have shot everything in my livingroom. :D

8. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Nice.

I've got a multi-camera/DVR system with alarms, 3 dogs and a 9mm that holds 16 rounds with a spare 15 round clip at hands reach.

You better want something REAL bad on my property.

You will never get it.

I will know right where you are before you will.

I have a 150ft indoor range at my office that I use frequently.

Be prepared.

9. Mblashfield

Get a dog that barks when strangers come on your property....

There are literally millions available.

10. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Practice makes perfect. I think anyone with some sort of firearm experience should be capable of accurately firing a weapon at the target a couple of feet yards away!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Professional soccer players making millions of dollars per year have been kicking practice penalty shots since they could walk and still occasionally kick the ball into the stands during World Cup finals. No amount of training can guarantee things are going to go well under pressure. And their lives are not even on the line. Well, except for Colombians and Iraqis.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

my dogs sleep in our room. They don't see intruders until we do.

13. Mblashfield

There are no guarantees with any aspect of life. Practice is a very good insurance policy though.

14. Mblashfield

You have the wrong type of dog for home protection.

15. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

cop lives accross the street and i'm in a cul de sak so we don't get any drive through traffic looking at everything

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Not necessarily.

My dog sleeps in our room, and when i come slinking home late at night, he's asleep on the bed with Sarah. He usually doesn't hear me drive up, but he hears the door open. He comes to investigate, and if it's *not* me, he's making noise.

Even if he doesn't detect the threat until it's at the bedroom door, the dog barking/lunging can be enough of a distraction that it gives you that moment in time to get your head straight and get a weapon at the ready.

I've known people with dogs that barked at every leaf blowing in the driveway. After a while (and not that long), you become deaf to the noise. THAT is the wrong type of dog for home protection.

17. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

thats cool in a Scarface kind of way, but how the hell do you watch the cameras and know where they are while you're sleeping? one eye open?

18. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

the camera's didn't work out too well for scarface

19. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i am intrigued by this multi-level perimeter everyone likes. a dog is out for me. my HOA won't let me put up a high barbed wire fence around my yard. i cant watch cameras asleep. chuck norris doesnt do night watch anymore.

what else is there you can feasibly do? land mines? booby traps? :Poke:

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Have you considered a trunk monkey?