1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corded Impact Gun - DeWalt or Kobalt?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 25, 2020.

1. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I just bought a Rigid cordless 1/2" from Home Depot online. Has a lot of good reviews and was only $149 with a battery and charger. Haven't used it much but it took my rims on and off very easily. Has a nice Auto mode to avoid over torquing
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...attery-and-18-Volt-Charger-R86011SB/303037082

Only using it to take tires off occasionally and some other random projects so had no use for a Milwaukee with 5 million lbs/ft

88/532 likes this.
  2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I have the Rigid cordless also. It has performed with no issues every time it’s been used.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

My Milwaukee 18V 1/2” impact eats the lunch of any 1/2” pneumatic impact I’ve ever had.

@sharkattack, don’t discount the cordless out of suspected lack of use. It’s funny how many uses we find for tools, and how often we find ourselves needing more tools to do more things...don’t make @speedluvn come in here and question your man card ;)

R/T Performance likes this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It’s a tool discussion. Man cards are safe in this thread. Unless this thread turns to knitting needles comparisons.
    Don’t discount the cordless versions of these tools. I’m a recent convert.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have the Milwaukee M18 models 2767 and 2861, I haven't used my air impact gun since buying them. The 2767 is their 1400ft-lb version and I haven't found a nut/bolt it hasn't taken off yet, it's a beast but also heavy so I tend to use the 2861 the most as it'll take lug nuts off pretty easy and the weight/balance is better. It's their 600 ft-lb model. Both are 1/2" hog ring.
    I wouldn't recommend anything corded or air after using these.

IMG_0970.JPG

Chris, trussdude and TurboBlew like this.
  6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I was set to buy the Kobalt and then I saw the Craftsman CMEF901; $119, 450 ft/lbs. Plus, I had a $100 Lowe’s gift card. That made an easy choice. I swapped the blades on my mower today and used the new toy. It yanked those bolts off 1,2,3. I’m happy.

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I have an older, not used much, Kobalt 1/2" corded impact I'd sell you. Case included. PM me if interested.

8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Is that a rubber cover on those guns ? I haven't seen that before. Where did you get those? I'm kind of ocd about taking care of my tools.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The key to the Honda crank bolt is a heavy socket, Lisle makes them and they area must have for working on Honda’s. Any decent impact will zip it right out with a heavy socket. Just don’t tighten it back with one...

BigBird likes this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The 1/2" Chicago Electric? I have one of those heavy turds too. I have used the shit out of it and it still keeps going strong. It has been surprisingly powerful and surprisingly durable. I would buy it before the Kobalt.

As far as the battery powered stuff goes, unless a person is using it alot and always keep the battery charged you will run out of juice 1/2 way thru a project. I would way rather drag around a cord than wait for a battery to charge when I am trying to finish off a project.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you ask really nicely, they may let you buy more than one battery :p

rice r0cket likes this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, I could buy extra batteries for a tool that already cost me a bunch more money than the corded but I already have extension cords...:crackup:

13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Who?

P.S. they all use the same batteries, whether it's Sony, Panasonic, LG, Sanyo, Samsung, etc., they all use the same few suppliers depending on what's available.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  14. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

What the heck are you talking about ?? I don’t know if Sony , Panasonic , lg, Sanyo , Samsung , etc ... even makes impact drivers . Since that’s what we are talking about .. not TV ‘s .
    And in the construction industry, it was common knowledge that the batteries that came with dewalt’s 12/14/18 volts did not last as long as others ...
    I don’t know if any manufacturer
    That Has batteries that work in other brands
    Edit : I meant Milwaukee.. I was looking at my welder in barn when posting :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you are worried about batteries get the Ridgid brand.

The batteries and charger are warrantied for life.

They replaced my charger about 4 years ago no questions asked.

Just MAKE SURE you register the tool when you buy it.

Phl218 and R/T Performance like this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Sign up for the Home Depot e-mails. Sure you get daily sales promotions but about once a month they put Milwaukee stuff on sale.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

For anyone who's used both, how much better is the Milwaukee circular saw than a comparable Ryobi? I've got a fairly extensive Ryobi collection and have been very pleased with it, but the circular saw (have a 5.5" and a 7.25" and they both stink) is the tool that's really been a disappointment.

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you use it a lot get a dewalt 60 volt.

19. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Just bought the Milwaukee 9070-20 1/2 inch drive corded. What a beast. I was worried that such limited use might be bad for the batteries on a cordless.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting that, I had no idea a heavier socket would help.

Newyork likes this.