1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corded Impact Gun - DeWalt or Kobalt?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 25, 2020.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Any thoughts on these two? My main use will be rotating tires, brake jobs, removing the mower blades a few times per year, and other odd jobs. The Kobalt can be had for $100 and the DeWalt for about $150. The DeWalt is a little more compact, which is nice. The Kobalt comes with a case and is a tad more powerful.

Kobalt: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-8-Amp-1-2-in-Corded-Impact-Wrench/3307992

DeWalt:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-with-Hog-Ring-Anvil-DW293/203070254

Which would you buy?

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Cordless

Wheel Bearing, BigBird, Chris and 5 others like this.
  3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Agreed
    It’s worth the extra $

I bought a 1 inch, yes 1 inch , Milwaukee impact a couple months ago -
    Takes the nuts off my semi truck wheels crazy how far the battery technology has progressed .

BigBird and 418 like this.
  4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Dude that Milwaukee fuel 18 system is nothing short of amazing.

Their 1" impact puts out crazy numbers

418 and wsmc42 like this.
  5. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

Ive gotthe 1/2 fuel. It takes off everything. Only issues ive had is over 13/16 to 1 1/2 rusted plow bolts.

6. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I have the Kobalt one and it’s nice. We could for the life of us get the front sprocket nut off my ninja til I used that gun..works great. We tried a long breaker bar, an air ratchet and this was 3 of us....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToofPic likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I got one from Harbor Freight for $40 to do the limited items the OP listed. It's heavy and wouldn't last under constant use, but for the few times a year I need one it is perfect.

crashman and evakat like this.
  8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I have the Dewalt corded impact. It does a great job. As a framing contractor, I've had several impacts over the years. I bought a Kawasaki impact at Pep boys one time because I forgot my regular one. It did a really good job for several years until an apprentice over heated it bolting down a house. Point being, for what you mentioned, almost all impacts will do the job. The Dewalt might be a little smaller, especially at the nose, and lighter if you think that could ever be an issue. Otherwise, save the money and buy the Kobalt or comparable and get a case and maybe a few socket. As mentioned, if you want to spend a bit more, The Milwaukee Fuel 18v 1/2" impact is amazing. I bought one to change trailer tires on a road trip and I am blown away at how much torque it has.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

When I was rebuilding my chevy truck motor, my fuel 18v wouldnt touch the balancer bolt, even with heat. I went and bought the kobolt corded and even it took some heat, but it works good.

Also rebuilding an older outboard a few weeks ago. the fuel wouldnt touch the flywheel puller. took the corded and a hammer.

Its great to have a corded impact and the kobolts been good so far. no need for dewalt.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I have the cordless 1/2 kobalt, and it's awesome

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

another vote for the cordless Milwaukee fuel 18 series, have the 3/8" (600 foot lbs of torque), and the 1/2" (1400 foot lbs). not a whole lot you cant loosen with that. Ski

Chris and Motofun352 like this.
  12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I’ve had a corded Makita 1/2” for 10y or more. It’s ok but limited and the new cordless embarrass it regularly.

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I am sooo done with Dewalt and their Shit Batteries . I switched over to Miller and never looked back . Miller impact is the best I ever used . And when I was working I used them every day !

14. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I have the Porter Cable corded impact. Cheaper than both of the ones listed, and also more power (450 ft lb).

Has worked great for everything but Honda main crankshaft bolt, which required two people leaning on a five foot breaker bar.

I wouldn't argue against Milwaukee cordless for convenience, especially if you have other tools using the same battery, but it's definitely more expensive to get the same thing done.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Plus one for the Milwaukee fuel stuff. I'm standardizing on their products so the batteries are interchangable. My first set was the drill/1/2" impact and they were the non-fuel. They work great but I've decided that the fuel motor is worht the extra money.

R/T Performance likes this.
  16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thx guys. While I like the idea of a cordless Milwaukee, it’s just too much $ for how often/little I’ll use it.

17. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I was working on the same decision last fall. For about $80 more I went with the cordless Kobalt. It sits most of the time but I picked it up yesterday to rotate car tires. Still on the initial charge from October or November. It rides everywhere in the truck just so I never touch a lug wrench again!

sharkattack likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I have a corded Craftsman 1/2'' drive that'll break your wrist if you're not cautious.
    I like POWER. That's how I would select the gun...therefore the Kobalt.

sharkattack likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, if the OP has a backup pneumatic for the REAL tough jobs, it's a no-brainer to go cordless. I've got a Ryobi 1/2" impact that I use for everything he describes, and a 1/4" impact which is undoubtedly my most used tool (particularly when working on bikes).

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

maybe this group will help. some deals are smokin, some not so much. he has a deal right now for all this
    ½ impact 1400lbs
    ⅜ impact 600lbs
    2 5.0 batteries (better batteries)
    Charger and bag!
    This is our No.1 selling set 489.00

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2621084368122002/

it is legit, one of the highest volume milwaukee, and snap on guys in north america.

the fuel 3/8 ratchet is amazing for almost everything you use a 3/8 or 1/4 drive ratchet.

Ski

BigBird, Chris and sharkattack like this.