1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

completely new to this........with lots of questions

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by TheScarpino, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lots of choices before July - Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta is closest to ATL July 17-19. Next nearest is Talladega April 23-24. Then Roebling in a weekend and a half as well as May 28-29.

2. TheScarpino

TheScarpino Well-Known Member

Awesome.....I'm looking over the schedule now.

Thanks guys

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'll be at cycle jam. You can hang out with me. I'll show you around.

4. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

Just so you are aware, there is n practice day on March 18th at Buttonwillow that is not really on any calendar. You just show up, pay the track (preferably in cash) and can run in their practice. It is only open to racers to keep the street kids away but someone who is doing NRS on Saturday definitely qualifies.

I will be there for the weekend (AFM #49) and will be happy to answer any questions. We will be pitted in the RV lots with a white trailer with 727 and 49 on the side of it. Feel free to stop by and say hello :)

Juan Villicana likes this.
  5. Will do. Thank you so much for offering to answer any questions I have. I was aware of the practice on the 18th. I thought I needed my lic first before I could participate. Thank you again I'm going to see if I can get work covered and be there Friday.

mzarra likes this.
  6. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

It is on their website as "racers only" which means "those who are going to participate this weekend". Really meant to keep out the B/C group track day riders who would get in the way of the race practice. They do not check hard cards or anything.

I will be there on Thursday evening as my Son and Wife run Serious RnD and will be installing a lot of vinyl on a lot of bikes so I am sure you will see at least him rolling around the paddock on his long board :)

7. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Since I was wearing my orange shirt at the last round, Saturday only, (season opener at Tally), I will offer this. The routine is not much different than a trackday, except you won't know where the "f" anything is or what you should do first, I had never been to Tally before so this maybe compounded by lack of local knowledge. Luckily I had someone (yamageezer) with me who knew the ropes, this was IMMENSELY helpful. Had I shown up on my own, I wouldn't have made it on time to anything, although the staff was incredibly accommodating to other's who fell into this situation. Hats off for that.

1. Hook up with some that is willing to show you around. This should be in the riders manual.
    2. Show up early. Earlier than you would at a trackday.
    3. Walk around and talk to people. The paddock is much more welcoming than any trackday org I have ridden with in the past 8 years. Wearing an orange shirt seems to help, it kind screams I am new, help me..... This is a good thing.
    4. Enjoy and don't forget to breath.

As for additions to the riders manual, simple timelines that are track specific. When should I arrive? Where do I register? Race school is where? When do I have to tech by? Is there someone to hold my hand in case I screw something up cause I'm like new and all anxious and stuff.....

Thanks again to Yamageezer, like I said I would have been spinning in circles....

TheScarpino and Metalhead like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anytime you're even mildly lost just walk up to any official and ask for help. It's what we're all there for.

Metalhead likes this.
  9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Do not hang out with Metalhead. He will get you thrown in jail. LOL. Just kidding, he is ok but watch out for the air drum solo's

Metalhead likes this.
  10. TheScarpino

Hell...he shows me the ropes, I'll rock the gibson air guitar to what ever tune he's got stuck in his head.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You're on. Master of Puppets it is.:D

Seriously though...if you can make it, I'll make sure you get the jist of what to do when you're ready. It ain't that hard. Seriously.

Plus, I'll have a bunch of beer with me for the end of the day festivities.:beer:

dsmitty37 and Shenanigans like this.
  12. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

One fee left out. When you get to the track, buy a set of NEW tires....You will pay for the cost of the tires
    but they will mount and balance for free.

Be considerate to the tire guys, clean your rims before dropping them off.

New tires, tire warmers, proper air pressures are crucial. You can have all the power in the world but
    if your tires don't stick whats the point.

When and if you get new race bodywork, come see me for paint :)

Best of luck!!!

13. TheScarpino

Good point! Even though I'm sure trackside will be much more expensive than any online orders.....but I may be wrong.
    The bike always stays clean.....helps me see what's going on with the bike if there is any issue. Excess brake dust, leaks, etc....
    I did just pick up some body work. In the prepping stage now. I may hit you up on paint pricing.

14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Track side will have the compounds you need which you might find online but then you ad shipping to that and you
    have no track side support...

When I was racing my 95 ZX6R in the Vintage 7 classes we all ran Bridgestone slicks, great tire, great price...

Chuck

15. Are you going to have yellow number plates and number stickers this weekend? If you can you text me the cost. I and a couple of friends need some.
    559-260-3703. Thank you.

16. Any non-OEM (for your bike) MC renders the bike illegal for Superstock. Not all OEM parts are created equal, that is the reason for the rule. Some bikes come from the OEM with Ohlins Forks, Forged Marchesini wheels, etc, the R6/R1 braking system is better than the Suzuki braking system, so on and so forth. You can swap parts if you want, but then you will have to race in the Superbike classes. FYI - nothing to be worried about when racing in the SB classes. 90% of the time it is the same guys you race against in the SS classes, they are just doing the SB classes to get another race in. There aren't many true Superbikes out there.

If you leave the MC on, you can race in A-SB and F1. If you swap it back to OEM (assuming your bike is otherwise SS legal), then you can add the A-SS race. You will be racing with/against other Novices. The race might be combined with the Experts, but they will be grouped together in front and will be racing amongst themselves. You wont be scored against the Experts.

The "race school" isn't necessarily a "school" per se. It doesn't teach you how to ride or how to race or how to make passes or body positioning and things like that. It is essentially just a licensing "class". If you are looking for skills development, it isn't what you are looking for. But if you are just looking to get licensed without breaking the bank, it is perfect.

The PN status just means you are new and you wear the jersey so other riders know you are new. But with 15 TDs under your belt, you will be perfectly fine. Don't sweat it. Speed will come with time.

You earn your Expert plates by finishing the top 5 in your class in your Region, or by landing on the podium at the GNF.

As others have said, if you have any questions, just ask. While we are all competing against each other, the paddock is like a big family. Anyone will help you. The first weekend can be a little intimidating, just remember that every single person in that paddock had a first weekend at some point. Just relax and ask questions, everything will be fine.

Laz likes this.
  17. Aside from that, the best advice I can give you is to have everything done ahead of time. Make sure the bike is prepped and safety wired, make sure your gear is good and clean. Go ahead and have fuel in the bike and extra available. Get an air tank and have it filled before you get to the track, things like that. Anything you can prepare ahead of time will save you stress during the weekend.

18. TheScarpino

Thank guys....always wondered why races where set up in "waves" when I watch them on youtube. Makes sence!

Glad you gave me a lesson on SB class. I thought that it was a much heavier class. But if you are saying that the same guys that rub in the sb clad also run in the ss class. ...do they make the changes they need to run these classes? I.e. change parts between races?

I do understand that the school is only designed to get the license...
    But with that being said. ....does the bike need to be "race prepped" for the school since we won't be doing anything but a few sessions and a mock race? Would a "trackday prep" be sufficient?

19. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Superbike built bikes (no matter what type of superbike modification) cannot run in SS classes. Its just that most superbikes have just enough modifications to not be SS legal. For instance, I have a 675, and my one superbike mod is a suspension link. I have never seen someone switch parts back and forth to run SS classes, and you will be busy enough on a race weekend that you would not want to add that to the mix too.

Also, track day prep is not enough (unless your track day has really strict rules). You need to try and get the bike to race prep standards. If you miss something (most people do) there usually is a quick fix that will get you through the weekend. An example would be a bolt where safety wire was missing could be fixed with RTV for the weekend. Technical inspection is to make sure things are safe, not to keep you from racing.

Metalhead likes this.
  20. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I've always found Stickboy and the other tire vendors at the track to be very nearly in line with the prices you can find online, and I am a cheap bastard. Even if you do save online, they still have to be mounted and balanced, you have no idea what date the tires were manufactured or how they were stored. Trust in your tires is worth everything, and it all begins with the vendor.

dsmitty37 and TheScarpino like this.