1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a generator, need help

Discussion in 'General' started by John LegionST, Nov 25, 2010.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

An inverter generator is NOT required for electonics. The only advantage to the inverter is the fact that it can run at a variable speed to lower fuel consumption and noisy. It does not make any "safer" power for electronics. Do you think the hydro you get from an outlet is doen through an inverter. Nope. Just a big turbine that rotates in a magnetic field. The generators used for standby power at large facilities (ie. hospitals, office buildings) are not inverter, and I am pretty sure that they have a whole lot more sensitive electronics than what you would have in a race trailer.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

You haven't seen my trailer. Rotating disco balls and colored spotlights can be very sensitive.

3. zertrider

And a must at any race weekend!!

4. stickboy274

Without those, the pole loses some on it's mystique

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What do they mean here then?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-The-Best-And-Quietest-Generator-For-Camping

Inverter Generators, Quieter And Cleaner Power

Inverter type generators produce a more pure sine wave which means cleaner power, unlike cheaper generators which create a choppy power signal, which can cause problems with many electronic items such as televisions and computers.

6. stickboy274

I've seen troubles before. I had to adjust the one built into my trailer for my cheap DVD player to work with it. I had to tune the voltage to where it was happy.

7. mkinzer

mkinzer Well-Known Member

We all know you have seen lots of "troubles" :D

8. zertrider

If the generator is running correctly and has the governor set up right, there is no reason that it would not reliably run sensitive electronics. Like I said, large standby generators at hospitals are straight generator, and if the super sensitive equipment there can run fine, then I don't see a problem with a laptop. The biggest thing is to make sure it is running at 1800rpm (4 pole) or 3600 rpm(2 pole) do the it is running at the correct frequency (60hz), and that the voltage regulator is working correctly.

9. p32pac

p32pac Member

I have a Honda EU2000 that im looking to sell. It has about 10 hours on it. I upgraded to a Honda 3000 because on occasion I need to run 3 sets of tire warmers. The 2000 runs 2 sets no problem. I would take in the neighborhood of $700.00 for it. I would rather not ship it so if anyone in NJ is looking for one let me know.

10. wannab20hatch

wannab20hatch Well-Known Member

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

If you are still looking I have a friend with a Yamaha EF2600 with 2 hours on it. He wants $500 for it but he is not interested in shipping it. He is located at zip 39157 in Ms. Outstanding deal for some one especially if you are passing through on I-20 east or west.

13. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

What if you need a genny that needs to power a 12,000 BTU A/C, Stereo, warmers, and possibly a tv?

I was thinking somewhere around 5000 watts. The AC says it needs 1100 at full power. my warmers use about 950, and the stereo only takes 300.

14. zertrider

The AC will only need 10-12amps once running, but start up load can be up to 18-22amps for a short period. 4000 should be plenty for what you want to do. 5000 gives you some extra.

15. MELK-MAN

nope..need more than 5k. My eu6500 inverter even when not on "eco-mode" will only do 3 sets of warmers (and only after they are cycling-not all 6 on at same time) while running the rooftop AC, tiny radio, and flouresent trailer lights. If the air compressor happens to kick on it shuts the whole thing down.. I had an arctic cat (suzuki motor) 8500wt gen that kicked ass. Never shut off even with 4 or 5 sets of warmers and ac, etc. But it was so f-in loud i almost kicked my OWN ass when it had to be near my triler.

16. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Good info on the EU6500...since that is my dream generator. Thanks! :up:

17. MELK-MAN

it will run everything including 4 sets of warmers and the rooftop ac, but only after the warmers are cycling. Usually trips if you plug all 4 sets in at the same time while the ac is running. It is an awesome generator though.. Eco mode is like a whisper while the warmers are cycling say during lunchtime.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Looks a lot like the 3500 I've had for years, reasonably quite and reliable. A good deal for that price.

19. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Cool. I have my rooftop A/C, tire machine, lights, and one set of warmers and I've been playing with the idea of losing my loud ass gas air compressor and getting an electric one when I finally nut up and buy a EU6500. Sounds like I should be ok.

20. wannab20hatch

wannab20hatch Well-Known Member

hmm i may need to roll through ms. sure he wont ship?

i may throw it on the christmas list and see if its loud and annoying. if it is ill give it to my grandmother for emergency. haha