1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a generator, need help

Discussion in 'General' started by John LegionST, Nov 25, 2010.

1. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Looking at generators from Home Depot and Lowes in the 400-500 dollar range. So far I have found models w/ wattages ranging from 2000-3200. The brands I'm looking at are Husky, Homelite, and Generic. I Would love to hear some feedback (reliability, noise, power output, etc) on these brands before buying!!! (or feedback on OTHER possible brands) Thanks in advance.

Oh btw, I tried seach but could not find any reviews on these specific brands. Also, yes I know Honda SuperQuiet 2000 is what people are going to say... I just dont have that kind of money for this season, unless you know where to get one within my budget.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get a really loud one. With the money you'll save you can afford a nice 100' extension cord.:beer:

Have you looked at used, people are giving shit away these days.

3. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

he he he You beat me to it

4. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

And then park by BC or Filterboy :beer:

5. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I have a Honda 3000. They are very quiet and run great. I would try to find a used "quiet" one...

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What you need to look at is what you plan to need power for. I run a small fan to dry my helmet, tire warmers, lights, and a radio off of a 5250w.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well... a heavy guage extension cord aint gonna be cheap either.
    id look on Racingjunk.com

8. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

What? What? WHA? I can't hear you

Someone needs to come out with a priceguide with W's and db's and post it. Probably already been done??

9. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHA... yeah I was going to mention noise but didnt want it to turn into that thread :D But yes, I would like a relatively quiet one.

I have considered used but would still need some input on brands.

Planning on running a set of ChickenHawks and a fan or two. At night maybe lights but then I wouldnt be running the warmers...

Already have the cord ;) Thank you for the site

I would LOVE to see that! If it has been done someone please put up a link

10. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

walmart is now selling Hyandia generators and invertors. they are relatively cheap. i have a champion and if i have it running past 10pm people complain.

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Honda 2000, yamaha 2000, choose red or blue. Those are the choices, unless you need more juice then get the larger red or blue model. :)

12. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

honda or yammie 2000, or try the kipor brand

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I have a Kipor 3000 that was cheap and works great.

14. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

There are other reasons that the Blue and Red ones are also the ones to buy other than just the fact that they are quiet. The inverters are way more useful for other things than just tire warmers and fans if you'd like to use them for something other than just going to the track. I used a 3000 Honda this year and it was wonderful to have at the track. LOOK USED it's worth it! Good luck with you search.:up:

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I have a 3500-watt genny from Pep Boys. It has served me faithfully for three seasons and is reliable, easy to start and nobody complains about the noise.

I got a store flyer yesterday, and they have the same one for $249 on Black Friday. See the last item in Tools & Hardware: linky

Here's a link to a 10% off coupon good till 11/30/2010: linky

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

+1 for the Kipor.
    I'd go with the 3000 though, I initially bought a 2000 and then traded up within 4 mos.

17. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

How quiet is your Kipor 3000 compared to a Honda EU3000?

18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Virtually the same volume. At most 1 dB louder. Sold a number of them, all happy customers.

Full load 67dB rating. Idle load 62dB. Both at 23'.

19. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Where do you sell them?

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

RV dealership up her in Ontario. They actually have quite a few RV users of the 3000w version. Its been a pretty popular option from the Honda.