1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carbon fiber motorcycle wheels....

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m more horrified by the two inch chicken strips along the slicks. :eek:
    :D

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

crazy that this dude is going to keep riding those wheels

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think he’s bluffing and trying to gain some leverage. Crazy that BMW is not doing anything about them. He needs a better dealership and another channel into BMW.

TurboBlew and turbulence like this.
  4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

It is typical BMW. There is a long history of them ignoring manufacturing defects until "forced" to do so. More so than the Japanese it seems to me.

ducnut likes this.
  5. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

G 97 likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sweet. What’s the recipe? The HP number seems crazy. :bow:

7. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I don't think it was wheel failure. 99.9% sure Tim said the chain jumped when he downshifted for the chicane. He lowsided, the bike caught the curbing wrong and started all that aftermath.

You can actually see the chain off the rear sprocket in this shot.

Capture.JPG

turbulence, G 97 and MELK-MAN like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

not attacking you at all... Mr Dorn has been doing that promo shit for a long time. Hey look at this molehill... I shall name it Vesuvius :)
    Not the first time and wont be the last...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

we have this highly developed parrifin coating that guarantees 3 hp on our dyno...nobody else has it!! :)

NemesisR6 likes this.
  10. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Jesus...thing looks like an IED went off under it...

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I looked at getting some CF wheels for my 1299 and a very reputable dealer (who also races with wera and sometimes MA) advised against it. He said he had personally cracked rears and didn't know it until the bike started handling super wonky. His comment was, if you're mid to front pack exert pace, don't do it. They will fail. That was enough for me.

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Any reports on how the Graves frame sliders held up?

13. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

:eek::eek:

Was that CF or C4???

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Why don’t CF airframes fail? Motorcycle and bicycle stressors would seem to be minimal, compared to an aircraft.

15. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

They would, eventually. They also have a service life at which time they would be de-commissioned. The issue is cyclic loading, and impact strength. The motorcycle wheels are cycled much more, and quicker than any CF airplane airframe.

ducnut likes this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between metals and composites...duh. Metals have grain structure. The grain boundaries are susceptable to micro defects which get enlarged by fatigue cycling and eventually fail due to classic overload. Proper design of CF with thread placement alleviates much of this. Of course CF has other issues. While its strength to weight ratio is outstanding it is also much less malleable. An impact to it can shatter it locally and cause failure. I've seen a demonstration of wheels (car wheels) where they ran over a 4X4 at speed. Magnesium was obliterated, steel was heavily damaged and Aluminum did the best...no CF in the test but I would guess that it would be much like the Magnesium.

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Link available or in real life? That would be an interesting view.

ducnut likes this.
  19. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

:stupid:

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I thought it was on mythbusters but I couldn't find it. My googlefu failed.