1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carbon fiber motorcycle wheels....

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2020.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

You get one free one with warranty so you can rest a little easier. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Remember when team sky on Pro wheels had catastrophic wheels failures. think it was 2016. Ended costing thomas the GC.

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

just picked up my CVO Roadglide today from the final dyno tune. 155hp and 154 tq. Put 130 ci cylinders/pistons and minor head work, plus bigger throttle body. Fun bike. Will spin the rear tire at will in first or second gear. Passes 18-wheelers with laughable ease. It’s now an officially fun bike.

G 97 likes this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i don't. i only follow the jumpy boys, not the spandex avengers. my b haha.

r6fast likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

M8 or twin cam.

6. StanTheMan

2019 CVO Roadglide M8. Tuner said if I put a 2 into 1 pipe on it versus the dual exhaust I currently have on it, it would bump it up to around 163-165 hp. Pondering that scenario.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

131 HD crate motor?

8. StanTheMan

No, S&S makes a 128 kit but I only bought their cylinders and then had them bored to make it a 130” kit. Used Mahle flat-top pistons and ground cylinders down to achieve zero deck height, yielding 12.2 compression ratio, so pump gas still works. Used 62mm HPI throttle body, 1mm bigger valves and fuelmoto xxx head pipe. Still considering the 2-1 pipe and using a ghost pipe on the other side for symmetry reasons. We’ll see. The HD 131 kit motor only makes low 130’s. At least the two friends I know who did that route, but they went that way to maintain the warranty

G 97 likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yo have the run out checked on the crank or weld the crank?

10. StanTheMan

Checked runout but didn’t weld the crank. I won’t be abusing it. The tuner I’m using used to race Top Fuel harleys. He’s working on a 143 kit that requires boring the cases. If I ever went that route I’d buy an S&S crank to be safe. He’s looking at 175 hp and similar torque from that package. But the heat that engine would produce would be insane. Even with mine you can feel it going down the road. Not ridiculous but definitely noticeable

G 97 likes this.
  11. Yes. A lot has to do with weave, resin, quality of the actual process etc. boats don’t have the concentrated load that a wheel does so they aren’t as sensitive to the concentrated stresses. I’ve see an FEA on a mystic 50 before and after they improved the way weave was layed and types of weave used. Some areas they were able to tone it down a bit and others they had to strengthen. In the end the hull became a bit lighter but also stronger. Carbon has been around in boats for quite a while and one thing to note is it’s mostly wet layup for obvious reasons. Certain components are made with pre-preg and actually inserted into wet layup before it’s bagged. The do this a fair amount in the bulkhead area that has a ton of force and moment stresses on it. Companies like Mystic have the process pretty dialed in.

pscook and ducnut like this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

If you want to go way back. It was a carbon fiber rear wheel collapsing on an RC30 that nearly killed Robert Dunlop at the Isle Of Man TT.

13. Sweatypants

since you seem to know and i have no idea but i was always curious... those S&S motors that look like knuckles or like panheads... are they any good? i mean i assume they're good quality, but like, can you take them on nice long rides and not wanna kill yourself? they got enough umph and gearing to compare to a modern bike? i always heard that knuckles in particular are kinda slow and janky, i just always liked how they look and i don't know too much about the different variants.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You can make a modern LS look like an old school SBC so, why not?

15. StanTheMan

S&S make top-quality stuff. I wouldn’t hesitate to use any of their products or engines.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's cuz S&S > HD.

17. StanTheMan

No argument here. Lol. 10 years from now, I’m not sure HD will still be in business in their present iteration.

18. Sweatypants

But i mean a real knuckle has like 10hp and 4 gears or something right? Does their version have modern power and driveability? Or it mimics the original, just not 80 years old?

I like the asthetic of them, and panheads compared to any others. Visually they look clean and dope. I was wondering how they perform tho compared to like an 883 or a newer HD motor.

19. StanTheMan

I don’t have power specs but with modern metallurgy and machining capability I’m sure their panhead/knucklehead knockoffs will easily take you down the highway with no difficulties. Now neck-snapping power/torque? Probably not. I know a guy with an S&S Panhead motor but I’ve never discussed it with him in detail. But I’ve also never heard him complain about power or reliability.

Sweatypants likes this.