1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all self employed business owners who supply their own healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by eggfooyoung, Nov 15, 2018.

1. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Looks like we agree. Along with the pricks I work with who stay uninsured and just pay the tax penalty because it's cheaper out of pocket. If you don't act like part of the community where you live, you're fucking it up for everyone around you.

2. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Without getting into dungeon material why are you so angry. I had insurance and still had to pay out over $60k when I went through multiple rounds of cancer treatments. Why would anyone healthy pay outrageous pricing for insurance when they don't need it. If you have to pay $6k a year for something you never use why would you? If the govt comes out tomorrow and says everyone has to pay into a motorcycle policy even if they never use it to help cover those injured in accidents you would be cool with that? No thanks

zrx12man likes this.
  3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

This is perfect timing. We are days if not hours at this point of closing on a busniess, and we will become self employed. I have carried the insurance for our family of 4 for the past 13 years at a cost of $67 a week for a family of 4 with a $1,500 deductible.

Right now the best we can find has been $1,200 a month with a $15,000 deductible. I can see why alot of small places close because of this b.s.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Or maybe the "community" is fucking it up for me? :Poke:

R1M370 likes this.
  5. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I'm not angry at all, I love the community I live in, both in the micro and macro sense and I want it to flourish with me as part of it. It pisses me off when I hear folks say "fuck y'all, I got mine!" like this, though. Not everyone rides a motorcycle. EVERYONE gets sick and dies.

6. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You can argue about political right and wrong all you like, but not acting like part of your community makes you a dickhead. Be cool with it or not, no difference to me. But it's true.

7. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Not if you had insurance on the individual market or any other ACA-compliant plan you didn't. One of the key provisions of the law is limits on out-of-pocket expenses, including deductibles, copays, everything but premiums. You did not pay $60k in one year unless you had shitty non-ACA compliant $200 a month company insurance:

Out-of-pocket maximum/limit

The most you have to pay for covered services in a plan year. After you spend this amount on deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance, your health plan pays 100% of the costs of covered benefits.

The out-of-pocket limit doesn't include your monthly premiums. It also doesn't include anything you spend for services your plan doesn't cover.

• For the 2018 plan year: The out-of-pocket limit for a Marketplace plan is $7,350 for an individual plan and $14,700 for a family plan.
    • For the 2017 plan year: The out-of-pocket limit for a Marketplace plan is $7,150 for an individual plan and $14,300 for a family plan.
    Example of out-of-pocket maximum with high medical costs

Let's say you need surgery with allowable costs of $20,000, and the following figures apply to your health insurance plan.

You pay the first $1,300 of covered medical expenses (your deductible).

Your 20% coinsurance on the rest of the costs ($18,700) comes to $3,740.

So your total costs would be $5,040. That's $1,300 (your deductible) plus $3,740 (coinsurance).

But your out-of-pocket maximum is $4,400. Your insurance company pays all covered costs above $4,400 — for this surgery and any covered care you get for the rest of the plan year.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/out-of-pocket-maximum-limit/

Do your homework and be a smart consumer. All this talk about goddamn TV's and BBQ grills on here and no one knows the basic provisions of this?

8. pickled egg

Oh ok. Just because you say so. :crackup:

kangasj and R1M370 like this.
  9. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I totally understand that and am not judging your decision, but the last thing I want or need is to be caught committing insurance fraud and that is exactly what it is.

zrx12man and SuddenBraking like this.
  10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Y’all are brave. When I see threads like this pop up, I envision Papa starting it under an alias just trying to get someone to take the bait.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

@eggfooyoung I have a good agent that we use who has always been fair. He insures almost everybody at our office as we just give a monthly amount that each employee can use towards healthcare. LMK

12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

That's the business model of vehicle insurance. Of course, some people choose to not carry coverage, that's why "uninsured motorist" is offered as well.

zrx12man likes this.
  13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Not me, all of modern human society says so.

14. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Long story short, RTFRB before you bitch about the rules, dipshit!

15. pickled egg

Ignorance writ large.

16. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

since we end up paying for all the uninsured anyway by way of higher insurance prices for us, i would like to see medicare for all at this point

zrx12man likes this.
  17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Eh, it's going OK. But, anytime @pickled egg is getting his ass kicked, you must consider that a victory.

18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Damn I've got to bite my lip because my comment would be so dungeon material.

Rico888 likes this.
  19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

@dobr24 , Yes, send his contact info over for sure. I need to start somewhere. Thanks!

20. pickled egg

I hope your dick falls off in the shower. :moon: