1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all self employed business owners who supply their own healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by eggfooyoung, Nov 15, 2018.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Unfortunately, we may be staring down this barrel next summer.

The concussion discussion got me thinking...

I know we have a thread, or threads in the dungeon, but the he said/she said bs is deep and plentiful in those.

Long story short, the wife carries our coverage, but her company has sold, and the new owner doesn't supply family plans, only individual. We're guaranteed coverage through June 2019, but want to get ahead of it now.

Neither one of us are well versed in the arena, but are looking into either buying it outright, or through my business.

My question is, are there still private groups/networks that you can join to lessen the financial burden, or are we destined for Obamacare?

Certainly not looking for political input, merely avenues and alternative solutions that you may have experience with.

We're a family of 4.

Thanks

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Shop around. Rates will probably be similar from carrier to carrier as minimum features are set by the ACA. Deductible and coverage amount will be the big factors affecting premiums.

For family coverage I've seen anywhere from 900 per month to 1700 per month depending on state and features. Good luck.

zrx12man likes this.
  3. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

I'm employed by my corporation with just my wife and I as employees, and we make just a little too much for ACA, so we get reamed in the open market for coverage. For a healthy family of 3 we pay over $1k/mo for minimum coverage and high deductibles. Went up 38% this year, so also looking for alternatives. . . .

Phl218 likes this.
  4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Insurance is the reason my business became a side business while I picked up a "main" job with a large corporation. Fortunately the two are aligned and it ended up being a positive outside of the insurance angle. But it's brutal out there.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  5. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Damn, this is just depressing. My wife has worked for a progressive tech company that has provided nice benefits for the 13 years she's been there. Just recently got scooped up by a tech dinosaur and we see the writing on the wall. This could possibly force her to take a job that she doesn't want or force me to consider shutting down a small business that I have built up over 14 years mostly because of insurance.

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Get legally divorced and live in sin. One of you quit your job and apply for your state’s version of Medicare for the whole family, EBT, and SNAP. Get the kids on free and reduced lunch. Sell the extra car and cancel the insurance on it.

Whoever quits their job uses the savings and time to start a side business. Keep it a C-Corp and don’t take dividends. Use the profits to acquire securities you can get a loan against or assets you can use, and a legit tax lawyer and accountant to make it legal like.

You’ll probably come out ahead financially.

I’m only being 50% facetious as I know people who do this. The health insurance market is fucked.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Dragginass, tony 340 and Phl218 like this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What kind of chickenshit baloney is this?
    Take your shots like a man.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And get rid of your bank accounts.

9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If you have the money there’s all kinds of completely legal chicanery you can get into. The system is designed to fuck you and extract as much of your blood as possible. Play it for all it’s worth.

10. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

And that's just it. You try and do things above the board and every year you look more rediculous for following the rules.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It can be really frustrating to continue to do it the right way.

cav115 and speedluvn like this.
  12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Welcome to Amurica!

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Look! Take this dugeonous shyt up out of here. If I I wanted to be depressed anymore I know where the dungeon is :rolleyes:

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'll be acquiring the family business in a year and the mistress is going to run the office and we've just gotten into this. It is pretty fucking depressing on how much goes out into thin air. The same people requiring these assistances are the same people at my counters bitching I charge too much. :crackup:

tony 340 likes this.
  15. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Talk to an honest agent that can educate you on defined benefits plans. I ended up moving over that type of plan this year and saved about $500/month. Definitely took some time for me to wrap my head around how they work, but it has been good so far.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

If you're not cheating, you're only cheating yourself when it come to The System.

17. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I've been a contractor in offshore oil & gas since 2013, and have had family coverage on the individual market pretty much since then. It is more expensive out of pocket, but generally even with a higher-deductible plan, the required basic coverage is night and day better and more comprehensive. It is important to understand the basic provisions of the law regarding coverage on the individual market, which can guide your decisions.

-80% of all premiums collected under individual plans (not corporate) must go back in the form of benefits paid. Insurance companies do get audited to this, and we have gotten cash rebates when they go over, even by a tiny bit.
    -Preventative care and screenings are always covered at 100, no deductible, no copay. No more debate on putting off mammograms or colonoscopy until your financial situation improves.
    -They cannot screen you for pre-existing conditions. My wife has had high blood pressure most of her life, and getting her on my "cheaper" company insurance was difficult or impossible.
    -I believe the "9 1/2% rule" states you can't pay more than 9.5% of your family's AGI for health insurance. Of course it's a lot more complicated than that, but I believe that's the general gist.
    -Since I'm self employed, my insurance premiums are tax deductible

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/the-affordable-care-act-brief-summary.aspx

18. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You're also cheating all of us. Gonna pay your own dialysis or chemo out of pocket later? No, I'll have to, dickhead.

*not political*

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I remember the company I worked for didnt quite have the bodies to participate in small group plan. We ended up in a pool of 2,000+ employees of small businesses through a local agent.
    My contribution was $120/month. Added my kid and it went to $330. I could have bought my kid his own policy for <$700/yr. Learned that after the fact. :rolleyes: So Id shop policies for the kids first... then you & your wife seperately.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  20. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I save around $3k a year on health insurance by using an address to another property I own 40 miles away in a different county. But I guess I'm a DICKHEAD

zrx12man likes this.