1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broome's new TV is about to be released......

Discussion in 'General' started by mastermind, Nov 15, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And, pretty much, I'm not spending another $10K for a TV...prices only go up from there. The Epson reportedly does a good job bridging the gap. Perhaps, if/when I'm ready to buy, other companies, as you said, will have products in the "real 4k" category at a reasonable price.

I've seen a really inexpensive projector (~$250) stream some pretty good resolution in arguably the worst conditions...outdoors on the side of a trailer. Spending 40x that amount for what may amount to overkill is, well, overkill.

2. fastfreddie mentioned a $3999 retail pricetag. Which one of the above brands has a 4K projector in that price range?

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Ah, well you didnt quote that part, and your post didnt mention pricing. But the answer is NEC if you know who to call ;)

4. Single-chip DLP?

5. fastfreddie

I about shit myself when I saw six-digit price tags while looking for real 4K.

6. Sony has some in the $4-5k range. They are excellent.

7. thrak410

The bigger question is are you looking at '3840x2160 ' 4K or are you looking at the '4096x2160' 4K ?

One is professional and one is consumer, but both are "true" 4K thanks to the stupid movie industry. The 4096 version generally is going to be significantly more than the very common 3840 version you get at Best Buy, etc.

You can even get 8K stuff now if you want to be bleeding edge. 7680x4320 on a 70" panel! Wow!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:
    Have used them on gigs including the whiz bang super duper laser projectors.

9. fastfreddie

I saw the Sony for $4998. Not convinced I need to go there or even to the less expensive Epson I linked.
    Prolly, at the most, a unit coming in around $2750 is all I'm willing to spend. I don't care about 3D, WiFi or anything that requires I rely on a radio signal. Plug me in with dedicated hardwires cuz, pretty much, whatever I'd go with I'll have to get a multi-format to HDMI switching device...minimum inputs of the switch would allow Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, cable/sat, DVD.

What I really need is an appropriate stand for all those components. By appropriate, I mean something that doesn't look like an industrial room full of servers. It's gotta blend in as furniture, hold the previously mentioned components, sound reproduction component(s) other than speakers, power distribution, etc.

10. To me, that is not the question.

The question is: are you outfitting a stadium-seating home theater with a 200+" screen, anamorphic lens, motorized masking, and using full-res files sourced from a movie distributor? If so, you need a mega-bucks 3-chip light cannon.

If you#re outfitting a living room or media room with a 100-120" screen, and using "4K" Netflix/Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray as your source, a pro-level projector is a waste of money.

thrak410 likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's the beeb. They NEED this.

[​IMG]

12. Wait for third-gen. That's what I'm doing. My screen is in storage. I'm using an OLED panel right now, and it's plenty good enough.

13. I need two of them :D

14. Good luck. Most of the companies that made good equipment racks that don't look like server racks went out of business. I have a Zoethecus, which is very attractive. They ceased operations about 10 years ago. Can find Zoethecus products on Audiogon occasionally.

15. thrak410

Agreed!

16. thrak410

Grab a nice 4K ready receiver and it will do all your HDMI switching.

For furniture, check out Salamander. https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av-cabinets/

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Most times we use four for a large venue. Two screen, one either side of the stage. On these large format screens the image is split down the middle. You manually sync the images using a grid and blend the middle. Easy :p

Phl218 likes this.
  18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Glad to have my 2 LG plasma's still kicking. 42" is probably 9 or 10 yrs old. The 65" is only about 4 or 5yrs old, and I managed to snag it with a pretty bulletproof 7yr replacement warranty, that turns into a $400 store credit if it does not get used. Small independent store that is really great for service.

I do not need all the other bullshit that comes on TV's, living rural means shitty internet, so no streaming anyways.

19. fastfreddie

It's been a year since our Sunfire crashed so I forgot about (almost) everything plugging into it. Our make-do set-up is a cheap 32" with built-in sound through a cheap sound bar, it only accepts two vid inputs...stole it out of our camper. :D
    The Runco is still serviceable but it offers no audio. We'll be headed to WorldWideStereo soon enough to sort things out.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

I was wondering if that would be doable with frameless led screens...

Then why buy one 150” screen when you could stitch 4 75” together and split the pic? Somebody must have done this already