1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broome's new TV is about to be released......

Discussion in 'General' started by mastermind, Nov 15, 2018.

1. I can’t speak for other brands, but the LG OLED has “upscaling”.

I don’t know exactly how it works, I wasn’t paying attention because there were dogs in the parking lot and he was saying shit that didn’t make sense.

But the TV takes programs not originally in 4K HD, and “upscales” them into 4K HD.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whore mouth! Whore mouth right there! :D

3. Well shit. If that’s the case, I’ll grab 2 of them. :D

mastermind likes this.
  4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Had to replace one after 3 years of regular use. It had been repaired twice prior to that. The dryer has also been repaired twice and we have had it 5 years.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Sunday target will have a LG 65" 4K HDR10 display for $510 ... its crazy how cheap they're getting.

6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Be careful buying tvs from Walmart and target. Companies make “dumbed down” versions for lack of better words to compete in those stores. They can’t put premium stuff in there at the prices they’ll pay so to retain margins they build models that look the same but the components inside are different. Check the model numbers closely. The tvs you seee in Wally World are often not the same as you would get in a magnolia home theatre in Best Buy etc.

This may have all changed recently but I know during the times leading up to, during and just post GFC(great financial crisis) it was the case.

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I haven’t spent much time with them, so no. I know that when I was at Frys electronics and Best Buy last weekend whatever they had was so freaking bright it was obnoxious. I do realize they set them all to burner mode in the stores and when I asked if I could see the one in regular mode the guy at frys acted like I had no idea what I was talking about and he didn’t have the remote. It was a Samsung.

There was a sharp that looked good so maybe that was the Organic LED you speak of. I’m not in the market for a new tv so I was killing time waiting for my other order to be ready.

8. Interesting, because that is about $3,000 less than what I paid for my LG 65" OLED earlier this year.

Are prices really dropping that much, or is that a different model?

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It’s Target, so it’s missong 90% of the buttons. You can sleep well tonight.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

It'll be $699 on Black Friday. Just a heads up.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. bleacht

It's different, and definitely not an OLED.

12. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Y'all some ballers! I just moved a ten year old 42" plasma from the bedroom(still a great picture) to the bonus room for the boys old game systems. I replaced it with a TCL 55" from Costco. For $370, I'm impressed! We'll see how it goes, but no ragerts right now.

13. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Black Friday TVs are also different, but usually in the connectivity count and not the panel quality iirc

I’m definitely on the hunt for a new Samsung QLED TV this year, although I understand the technology is inferior to LG OLED

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

15. bleacht

Here's what I did earlier this year: Buydig.com had a 65" C7 LG OLED on sale for the Super Bowl. I bought it, and submitted a price protection claim with my CC for a website that is known for having poor business practices but great prices (where it was $500 cheaper). Citibank refunded me the $500 in about a week so I got the TV for an insane deal. If you do a little extra work you can get a great TV for cheaper than you think.

16. thrak410

Its a LCD not OLED... rest easy my friend :D

17. Don't replace it with a pixel-shift projector. Front projectors are currently behind the 4K TVs in technology. Pretty much only Sony has real UHD 4K projectors right now.

If you don't want a Sony, wait until the other manufacturers have caught up.

18. I have two LG C8 OLEDs at the moment (a 55" and a 77"). It took a lot of tweaking to get rid of the bad factory settings, but once I got them dialed in, they are quite nice. Lots of cool features too. Finally a Smart TV that I actually don't need to connect a computer to it to get access to my usual content.

If someone would make a 4K plasma, I would never have considered an OLED, but...

19. thrak410

Thats not true. Barco, Christie, Digital Projection and NEC have excellent 4K (and higher) projectors.