1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw s1000rr

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Feb 26, 2010.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Chip, are you guys gonna be in Daytona?

2. That isn't how I took it at all. The point he is trying to make (or at least what it looks like to me) is that "we" shouldn't be pushing the guy to go have a 220HP Superbike build done on his Beemer; regardless if it is "free" or not.

How many times have people on this forum said that track riders should start out on smaller bikes? Or 600's at the biggest? Or that nobody needs more power, they need more skill? Or that race fuel isn't needed by 90% of the racers in the paddock? I could go on and on.

Now people are advocating that this guy go get a SB build on his already uberly powerful 1000cc. :rolleyes: ...and nobody says anything to the contrary simply because of the "stand up guy" thing.

Say what you want, but if that same guy started his own thread and it went like this, yall would be giving him hell..............

"Hey guys, i just bought my brand new BMW S1000RR and can't wait to get it on the track. I don't race, i just do track days every now and then for fun. But before i take it out for the first track day, I think need to send it to KWS for an all-out Superbike build. What do you guys think?"

Even though im not taking advantage of it, I totally appreciate what Chip is offering and i think it is cool as shit. I wish more vendors/business would do things like that. But just because something is free/discounted, that doesn't change the principal of it. Where will all of you be when the guy comes into T10 at Road Atlanta doing mach 5 and can't handle it?

This offer should be taken advantage of by somebody who is experienced and can handle/take advantage of the result. Sadly enough, that isn't me. I don't have a Beemer and i know i couldnt do a KWS Beemer any justice. But im sure there is an Expert out there who plans on racing one this year and THAT is who needs to take advantage of this awesome deal.

Im just sayin'

Disclaimer: I do not know the "track day guy" in question; i do not even know anybody who posted in this thread personally. Everybody has the right to get their bike built if they want and/or spend their money how they choose.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

I can't argue with that logic and the truth lies somewhere in between. I think Chip is looking for some R&D and someone will make the most. I'm defending what Chip says based on reliability, they aren't grenades. I'm not promoting 200+hp for trackday guys.

4. So Chip with your experiment on this new bike what kind of back up plan are you willing to put up? If it makes it through the KWS dyno pulls its all good?

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

What a freekin' boondoggle! A reputable guy from a reputable outfit makes a win-win offer and some of you jamokes gotta stick your noses in it. If you aren't doin' the build and it's not your bike then STFU!

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I believe there is a vast difference between dropping money into a SBK build by paying labor, parts and dyno testing, than someone offering to build the motor for free as long as the parts are supplied.

According to the KWS website, labor and dyno tuning for a level 2 zook build is $1200 alone.

I would also imagine that since this is a demo build they are going to be putting more effort to try and learn what makes the BMW engine tick.

Hell, I'd do it just to feel what 220 +/- HP feels like between my legs :)

7. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

Worst case of thread jack I have ever seen. The man is offering several thousand dollars of labor, research and development for free. Just because you have a superbike motor that shit the bed, doen't have anything to do with this thread and his very generous offer.

If you don't have a s1000rr then why crap on his thread?

Go screw with Mongo instead and see where that gets you.

Cheers

8. ExtraJ

ExtraJ Well-Known Member

:up:

9. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Reminds me of the adage - no good deed goes unpunished...

Chip's gracious offer makes him a giant in my eyes! :up:

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yup.

11. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

And another Beemer girl shits the bed.

I'll modify your BMW SS1000R for free-it'll burn diesel and waste oil. I need a bike to experiment with please. :D

12. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

It really does take a certain talent to screw up an offer for a free engine build...

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

So has anyone actually snagged it yet?

Cuz I've got $20k sitting in a bank acct that I was *planning* on paying off a couple credit cards with.. but uh.. they've waited a while already..

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

A little friendly advice... A pressure washer douche might get all that sand out.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

For those who don't do a ton of engine work other than making sure it has oil in it then you don't understand the magnitude of this offer. When we are at the track later this year ask me how much the head gaskets on the VFR cost.

16. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

Chaotic hit the nail on the head. This is a great offer for the right person, someone who can use it.

My guess is i am actually the only one on this thread besides chip to actually have ever owned a superbike. I still have it, it is back to SS now. Hence the reason i feel compelled to offer advice to MY FRIEND. So the way i see it, i can freely offer advice to my friends about things in which i have specific knowledge on.

Also, Potentially the parts for this exotic SBK build will run more than an entire build on any of your jap bikes, so for all of you big talkers why not step up and build your own rides for the same money??

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  17. Venom51

Get back to me after you build a $20,000 VFR400. That number doesn't include any labor.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or a 181-mph 1994 CBR900RR.

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

The real question is this: Are there enough SB-quality motor parts AVAILABLE for the S1000RR for Chip th actually be able to do a proper build? I don't know, have not seen much available yet. Or Chip, do you guys plan to DEVELOP a line of parts for the BMW? That would be cool as hell.

20. Venom51

They'll have to do some development....I doubt there is a large line of parts for that bike just yet.