1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bladerunner 2049

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Oct 3, 2017.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

0 for 2

Edward James Olmos

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You sir, are absolutely correct.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Sony.
    PanAm was in the sequel too.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

[​IMG]

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I laughed out loud when he said, "she had green eyes" and then they blew her head off. I think people in the theater turned around.

Also, I'll probably watch every movie that has Joi in it from now on.

Killswitch and shakazulu12 like this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I liked it a lot. One concern I had is they obviously set the story up for sequels, but with the current box office numbers it's not looking good that we will ever see them.

7. shakazulu12

Echo and Alexa ain't shit to me now

Lawn Dart likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, it took 35 years for the first sequel to come out :crackup:

9. shakazulu12

Yeah, I suppose if they can knock it out in the next 25 or so that's an improvement.:crackup:

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

And they can always use the holographic technique they used with Rachel, Leia, and Grand Moff Tarkin to beam in Harrison Ford.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Watched the original blade runner "final cut" the other night... Am I the only one terribly disappointing? It had such a good base plot but just didn't come through, at least for me. WTF was up with a random dove showing up in the replicant's hand towards the end of the movie out of nowhere?

thrak410 likes this.
  12. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

“It was the secret fantasy of every bato in the Chicanada to put on the Santa Claus suit.."

13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The last moments of that movie are really heavy on symbolism. Roy driving the nail through his hand, releasing the dove as his internal clock runs out, his final words. I can't adequately describe it, but here is the gist:

The dove is a traditional image of the spirit or the soul—which is something that the replicants aren't supposed to have. They're just meant to be tools, mere objects and instruments, according to the company that made them. But Roy manages to contradict the Tyrell Corporation: he demonstrates that he has a soul by showing mercy towards Deckard at the end of the movie, refusing to kill him. Then, as he dies, he releases a white dove he's been holding. It soars into the sky like his soul rising into heaven.

Now, as to WHERE the dove came from?

[​IMG]

cha0s#242 likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I would even suggest that the dove was itself artificial. When you read the book, you find out that most animals have died because of some ecological disaster and the ones you see (the owl at Tyrell Corporation, the snake used by the dancer) are artificial.

15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Ana de armas and McKenzie Davis sandwhich.... Ohhh ggaawwdddd

Best movie I've seen in years.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I did the same, and thought the same. Waste of time. In fact it was so boring that it made me less interested in the current one.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Finally saw it last night, in IMAX, but not 3D, as recommended by the Director of Photography. I really enjoyed it. A large part of it was an homage to the first film, so of course it couldn't be as groundbreaking as the original. However, it's an interesting twist on the original story and it's visually stunning. Lots of subtilities and deep meaning hidden in symbolism everywhere. I will definitely watch again to understand some details I didn't get the first time. I certainly recommend it to sci-fi fans like me, even the die hard fans of the original. You will not be dissapointed.

Oh, and I wanted to say a huge f@ck off to the so called feminists who complained that the movie was objectifying women. Seriously, f@ck off.

Killswitch likes this.
  18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Same, I was really stoked to watch the new one and watched this one to get some background... now I *might* rent it when it comes out on dvd...

19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Ditto.