1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike adjustments spreadsheet

Discussion in 'General' started by Redline69, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Redline69

Redline69 MRA Racer

I know there is a phone application out now that does some or all of what I am looking for in my spreadsheet, but I was also curious what type of spreadsheet layouts people are using to monitor their bikes at the track. Changes in suspension, gearing, lap times, weight, fuel level, etc... My spreadsheet is shitty and basic, I am making a new one for this coming season.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Subscribed

3. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

+1

4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

5. I created my own using excel and just printed a bunch of copies. Then I got one of those silver clipboard/storage things.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

At the amateur level, ride the bike and make smaller adjustments.

I see more dudes tuning themselves out of the ballpark.

Most tracks in the southeast are barely a difference of 1 rear tooth and maybe a few turns or clicks here and there.

Unless you're running daytona.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i used to use a form, with stuff you had to fill in all the time. I gave up on that...
    I just use 1 sheet of BLANK paper each weekend. At the top, i have "practice.. superbike" then "supersport". The basic temp of the day, if it was sunny or cloudy. under the "superbike/supersport" i have spring rates, and suspension settings, tire psi, gearing and axle position. IF it was the same track, i don't write everything again.. i just notate any deviation or changes made during the weekend in descending order down the page. If there is some "revelation" i make it in BOLD CAPS :) Like "started with 15/45, went back to 15/43.. USE 15/43**

when done, i make some final thoughts.. perhaps a gearing i should have tried, or other thing to try next time. I may have to go back many pages to get the baseline settings for a track, but i won't make a mistake in writing it down wrong as i'm going back to the original source. if changes that i keep are made, those settings are at the bottom of the page, so i will see them when flipping back through pages for the upcoming weekend's setup.
    Not procrastinating is the key though, you will find yourself saying "i'll make notes when i get home". don't do that.

8. so so true. Small changes and one at a time if possible.

9. Redline69

Redline69 MRA Racer

I hand wrote everything done this past season, but then the paper gets all dirty and wrinkled... I love spreadsheets. I like the picture of the spreadsheet, anyone got the Xcel file for a starting point?

I make very minimal changes, but I was not good at going back and noting if they made good or bad difference, then by the time I did note them, I had already made other small changes.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Melka said, sorted by track. Just a quick referral back through other events at that track looking at conditions that are the same (not as big a deal when you're not looking at jetting) and the final setup you used is enough to get you started before you load up to go there the next time.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the hard part, making notes every time in off the track.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. TX Joose

So basically what it looks like is there is no app for it. Maybe I should get back into developing..

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are lots of spreadsheet apps out there, you only need maybe a dozen fields. Don't even really need humidity so temp, gearing, suspension settings, air pressures if you want to be thorough.

Redline69 likes this.
  14. There is an app for it. It is a specific motorcycle setup tracking app. I had it on my last phone. You can enter all the information on setup, fuel usage, gearing, etc.

We tried it, but it was just too aggravating and tedious. Paper works better.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. TX Joose

It's all about the app man.
    You can't even say.. "there's an app for that" here. And you can say that with virtually everything.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Just use Excel. Many top teams do.

I personally think that much detail is absurd. As if that stuff is important ..

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. khill

khill Well-Known Member

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i wrote myself an iPad app for tracking info. rider, bike, tracks, setup, tires, laptimes, custom data fields, etc etc. it was too tedious as Chaotic already said. too many button taps were required to input a small setup change and write a description. so i stopped using it.

i was going to write in some data visualization for that app. allow u to easily view your best setups per track, PRs, progression over time, etc. that info MIGHT have been somewhat useful, esp for stopping a rider from losing their way w/ setup. its just hard to work on side projects that im not getting paid for.

i just work in a small notebook. at the start of a weekend, i write down the setup i showed up with. each session, i write down what i changed and laptime. at the end of the weekend, i write down my finishing setup.

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

as some said, it's more work than worth vs. just keeping a small notebook with actual paper.. handwritten notes. Keep it in the tool box for fast reference. Flip to the pages for the track you are going to to set gearing, fork springs, fork tube height, etc. prior to leaving for the weekend so you aren't missing practice time when you arrive.

20. Redline69

Redline69 MRA Racer

I will just make my own then I guess. Just spec out these items?

Track temp
    Ambient temp
    Fork tube height
    F- Rebound
    F- Compression
    Fork spring rate
    Tire PSI
    Gearing
    R- Rebound
    R- Compression
    R- Shock height