1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best work boots??

Discussion in 'General' started by vdub 2.0, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Merrells are the most comfy hiking stuff I've ever owned but haven't tried any work boots. They do last a long ass time too, have an old pair that is still good to go as a backup (tends to be primary a lot of the time).

FWIW they're made by Wolverine. They also make Bates and Cat and HD stuff.

2. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

This is what I wear now. Also, put your boots on a boot dryer everynight and they don't get the funk. I've had my Thorogoods for a year now, and still no stink!

Cam Morehead likes this.
  3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

When I changed jobs 6 years ago, I had to start wearing safety toe boots. I tried 13 different boots over a 2 year period before I bit the bullet and ordered Thorogoods. I have never seen them in a store to try on or look at. At $240, it was tough to take the plunge and order a pair but everyone swore by them... I have had 3 pairs now and still wear my original pair around the house.

4. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I saw Thorogoods are Union made too that's a plus

Cam Morehead likes this.
  5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I'll stay non-political, but they are all made right here in the good ol' Wisconsin. I forgot that my fire department turnout boots are Thorogoods also. I've literally beat the shit out of those and they are still good to go. Although it's time for a new pair as I've worn through the toes and exposed the steel toe in them.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  6. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

In the under $200 category, I think Keen has everyone beat (in the value range) when it comes to providing a good quality work boot that is actually comfortable to work in.
    There's a lot of good brands in the higher priced ranges, generally comes down to personal preferences and foot sizes.

7. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I'll be avoiding Thorogoods then :)

rafa likes this.
  8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

This is true. My feet love Red Wings. I keep trying something new, just to learn, and have been disappointed every time.

9. Cam Morehead

Say what you want about a Union boot but when I needed tech support, I called, gave them the model # of boot I had, asked what sole I needed, and he gave me the part #. And never had a problem with quality.... I will continue to buy my American made, Union made, high leather quality, sole retaining, non-back hurting, high dollar boot...

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does any of that have to do with a union? Well, other than the high dollar part of course :D

XFBO and rafa like this.
  11. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Something's wrong with your pair. I hose my danner GTX down with a pressure washer and my feet stay dry.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  12. Cam Morehead

Everything..... I tried;
    Converse x 2
    Ariat x 1
    Wolverine x1
    Justin x 1
    HH x 2
    and others I can't even remember.... I pair I wore 2 or 3 weeks and gave away. 2 pairs the sole fell off.

Your "price" comments are totally off base. If I pay $120-$160 for boots and my feet hurt, boot falls apart, rubs blisters, back hurts, stitching comes apart, or any other issue, how much did the boot really cost. I pay $200-$240 for a pair of Thorogood, wear them 70-90 hours per week, wear them for a year, retire them and keep them in my closet, and have multiple pairs of boots I love wearing. How is your comment about "high dollar" valid? It's not. I spent more than $1500 in 2 years, which was $750 per year. Now I spend $220ish per year.....

13. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

any beebers try on Chippewa for casual/cold weather (not snow) boots? That might be my next purchase for NYC winters..

http://www.chippewaboots.com/

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still none of that has anything to do with them being made in a union factory or not.

Unions demand more money for the same jobs for their members (can't blame them, that's how the union stays in business) - this drives prices up. That's all the difference there is. A good company can make a great product and take care of it's workers and customers without a union. So the Union part is a moot point. Without a union you could possibly spend only $150 a year for the exact same boots....

Also - I'm not second guessing what anyone spends on boots. I have no problem with $200 per year or more for your daily wear footwear. Mine are Nikes and they're $175 per pair and last me a little more than a year.

rafa and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  15. Cam Morehead

Fixed it for ya. We agree to disagree. I don't care if the easter bunny makes Thorogood boots at the North Pole, I like their boots, and they happen to be Union. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't care either - you're the one who kept touting union as if it was the reason they're a good company :crackup:

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Same. 13 EEEEEE is a summbitch to find.

xlfeet.com doesn't suck. Slow shipping, but once you get them they're OK.

Shenanigans likes this.
  18. Cam Morehead

Well I'm glad that is settled and you apologized. I have too much crap to get done to continue. Let me know if you need a link to the website. :Poke:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell yeah! Although to reference the cheap thread, I did just buy shoes for the next year so not sure boots are an option but it is getting to be winter and I do kind of need some new work/riding boots :D

Cam Morehead likes this.
  20. Cam Morehead

Ha ha. Good stuff.....