1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Rewards Credit Card

Discussion in 'General' started by aftriathlete, Jan 1, 2021.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Phl218 likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you ever do, don't go. They're full of vapid-ass people slowly moseying around with oversized carts so you can't pass them, and they don't GTFO the way.

I have to kick a kitten every time I leave the one we get dogfood from.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

for status and upgrades it’s the best for him

The beeb determined that in its own thread back then

:D

TurboBlew, SuddenBraking and beac83 like this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The best reward card:

Depends on what rewards you are seeking & what your spending patterns are.

If you want cash back on everything, there are cards for that.
    Travel miles - there are 100's of cards for that
    High cash back/points on specific categories (food, gas, clothing, etc.) there are cards for that.

Cards like Discover offer quarterly promotions, like 5% cash back on food. IMO Its tiresome to keep up with all the rules and requirements and time limits.

A Platinum card at no fee is pretty good. I decided it wasn't worth the annual fee when I stopped traveling each week for work. You can convert AMEX points to cash, although not at the same rate as say, the Citi Double-Cash card does.

Remember all cards make money off you. When you use the card, the merchant pays a % of your purchase to the CC company. You may pay annual fees, interest, etc. They monetize your account by selling your data to others. The "rewards" aren't really that great, and are used as incentives to get you to buy in. The rewards they give cost them a lot less than what you pay in points, etc. so they make money on your redeeming your "rewards" as well.

Remember not to get sucked in with the promotions, and select/use the cards in ways that benefit you.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Best rewards card is a card somebody else pays the monthly bill for.

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

so company card or sugar daddy card

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Ehhh. I have always found value in what's been earned a lot more than what's been given.

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If you go there thinking you’re going to buy all the water they have, I think you might need a bigger trailer.

Gorilla George and YamahaRick like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:D

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well played... :D

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The problem with a company card is that unless you are very high up, you still have to do the #$*&@ expense reports.

12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I’m with Broome on the Delta Amex Reserve. I’ve been flying to Denver a bunch and getting free upgrades, free baggage, security priority, free tickets, companion tickets and miles and such has made the annual fee back for sure. I wouldn’t pay for many of those things individually, but as a perk, I like them. If I wasn’t flying Delta so much, it might not make sense. Also, I did appreciate that Delta is rolling over all the MQM’s even though I earned Gold status just with spending only in 2020 based on the status boosts they offer. I’ll be Platinum soon with the roll over to 2021 and then stay Platninum through the end of 2022 at a minimum so that’s good.

Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my bad... meant to say property tax. However if youre renting... then yes you can pay with CC. :D

Sweatypants and Phl218 like this.
  14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea, THOSE i knew about, but i was like WTF for a second. that's the one thing missing from my life. (the other is all this expensive ass 2-stroke bespoke shit i've been buying from Europe where these old farts don't believe in paypal and i have to bank wire them the money. probably missed like 60k points there in the last year or 2).

did any of you dudes ever get down with the buying $1 coins and free shipping point scam from a while back? one of my buddies did it for a while, amassed crazy points haha. i think they charge shipping now and limit the buy as well.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. SuddenBraking

I didn't do that but did some manufactured spend with Amazon pay and Vanilla reload gift cards (buy cards with credit cards and then transfer the balance back into bank account, pay off credit card).

16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Still working? or naw? Can you do that with Apple cards and shit?

17. SuddenBraking

I stopped that sometime in the 2013/2014 timeframe, and Amazon and Bluebird (that's the AMEX product that you deposited the gift cards into before transferring back into your bank) both put a stop to it. I'm sure there's still tons of different ways to manufacture spend, although I believe the "golden days" are behind us.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/

18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

For me the best reward card varies and my wife hates it LOL.

Right now I'm getting 10% cash back on my Barclaycard up to $1000/mo through Jan31. So everything is going on that. Starting mid-Jan my Chase card is offering 5% cash back on all utility payments, so thats a no brainer too. (nat. gas, power, internet, trash, etc)

I also keep an eye on the Discover CB offers for the quarter, and AMEX has special deals all the time. For ex. I got $30 back on $100+ of wine from wineinsider.com, and the trick is in the fine print you can do it 3x.

We make lots of CB from costco and citi. All our gas goes on the citi card which is 4% + we have an executive membership which pays for itself and then some. We shop there anyway, might as well get the extra benefits. We almost hit $500 back for 2020.

19. SuddenBraking

There was a pilot card about 5-7 years ago which was sort of a “universal” credit card - you used that and it would figure out the optimal card to put it on based on the rewards. I don’t think it ever got off the ground but the concept was always interesting to me (for an identical reason - my wife would always say “stupid points” when I first started because it can be a hassle).

thrak410 likes this.
  20. It's cool that they carried over everyone's status from 2020, even though a lot of people couldn't travel because of Covid.

My traveling has been reduced, and often times it was on a private charter plane the company rented, so there were no miles to be earned. But they will carry my Diamond status over to next year anyway. That's awesome.

Phl218 likes this.