1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Lawn Mower Lift

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, May 21, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How is it I've never thought to modify a Pit Bull stand or make mounts for my current stand(s) for the mower?

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

100% safe.

I use a Ratio Rite cup, to ensure my measurements are accurate. DO NOT ever mix more than 2oz/gal. Trust me, on that one. :D

Not sure the extent of what you’re spraying, but, these are a couple things to help. Tractor Supply Company offer a nice, reasonably priced, pull behind, boom sprayer. And, they stock all the parts. If you’re going backpack sprayer, the Stihl SG20 is the best of them. Everything is contained within the tank, so there’s zero chance of chemical ever leaking onto you or the ground (this is really important). And, they’re very simple to rebuild the pump (only a few seals and 5 minutes) and maintain (1 drop of oil on the pump shaft).

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s a great idea! Might even be something Charlie would get onboard with bringing to production.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'd just use a pump sprayer. Is this stuff the same as roundup? Should I wear protective gear?

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Too funny, I thought the same thing before seeing your post and laughed when I saw I wasn't the only cheap bastard. :D

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Unless you want your dick to turn greenish black and fall off I'd go full Bill Murray in Dumb and Dumber 2 suit.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

it has one on it. useless.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, too late for that.

problem is, the other LM operator (wife) does not follow maintenance or cleaning protocol, plus mows early or late in the day.

i have a cheat sheet out for her, how to start it etc (she used to engage belt at deck low and rpm low, which made the belt jump off ("lawnmower's fault")) . that sheet also includes the best times, cutting heights, cleaning, etc.

problem is, if you don't clean it all the way, the remaining stuff in the deck is even wetter and will mold. plus the rocks and debris that took the powdercoating off allow rust to grow, wich increases friction greatly.

oh, and i didn't even mention dog toys (cords) or tennis balls. plus the nice chunky gravel under the deck that the kid likes to throw in the grass.

when i pressure wash, i stay clear from the spindles, plus they get fresh grease afterwards.

that deck is in its 4th year now, i have to see if i can make my Lowe's warranty work on it LOL

i'd say my yard (2 acres) is 25% bermuda, 25% fescue, and the rest weeds and clover... plus ant mounds and mole tracks with lifted soil. terrain, trees, shrubs...

reluctant to use weed killer.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Totally different categories.

Momentum kills everything but grass. It’s a selective, post-emergent. No need for anything but gloves when mixing and keeping your body upwind from the nozzle. You don’t want to be unnecessarily wearing or breathing it. I always apply on a sunny, calm day. The pores of the plant will be fully open, so the plant gets the full effect. Plus, the sun will help it to quickly dry.

Roundup, or glyphosate, is a non-selective and kills anything green. It does that by stopping photosynthesis, which suffocates all plant material, including small trees. As above, gloves are essential, stay upwind, and keep from getting it on you.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re up against everything wrong. :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I like that Jungle Jim's one, but I wonder if it's gonna get up high enough for me. Really want something that gets it to like a 45* angle to make blade changes as easy as possible.

I've got ramps I use for other things but I don't think they're high enough for me to comfortably get under the zero turn (it's a Hustler Raptor 52", FWIW). I mean, they work and that's how I've done it in the past but I'm ready to pay up for convenience.

I'm too pretty for the consequences of that solution failing.

rd400racer and BigBird like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

i know :mad:

friend has a concrete business.
    i did the math based on his sqft price, to have the whole yard covered and then just painted green. was a bit hefty.

ducnut likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

A lot of the newer mower come with
    I could stand to lose 100lbs so i left the blades on.

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s adjustable height. And, the rear overhang of the mower is going to be the limiting factor.

It’ll get any Hustler to their maximum lift height. I have a FasTrak 42” and X-ONE 60”.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

Thanks; just ordered one and will report back with how well it worked.

Appreciate everyone's input.

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol... I was thinking you remove the deck. Put a sweet assed paint job on it. Then use one of them ceramic coatings to protect the paint and cut your cleaning aggravation down...lol

BigBird likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Did the graphite coat past 2 winters. They don’t hold shit.

But it’s actually a good reason to get a powder coating system

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

This Jungle Jims shit works like a charm. My stupid ass thought that I was meant to lift from the deck of the mower (pic attached with the white dog) which made me wonder what the fuck was going on. Anyhow, big thumbs up from me - took me five minutes to change out blades today.

On a related note, are these blades salvageable (to get sharpened) or should I just get new ones?

Attached Files:

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yes. I’ve fixed worse. But, you’re going to lose quite a bit of material fixing them. If you have a local dealer with an Oregon belt-style sharpener, they can get you squared away.

Edit: I just realized that’s a mulch-style blade. I don’t know if an Oregon sharpener can do those blades. My Magna-Matic will, though.

On your next set of blades, ask your dealer about the high-lift blades (one level below the bagger blades) from the Hyperdrive model. They’re thicker and more durable, because they’re commercial. Some dealers, like mine, claim smaller mowers won’t spin them, but, that’s BS. I run the same blade on my 42” and 60” mowers. The other day, she hit a tree root with the 42” and it destroyed the root, but, not the Hyperdrive blade. In fact, she couldn’t believe there was zero damage. Like I told her, that is the advantage to running commercial blades over homeowner blades. Plus, the higher lift will move more air, throw clippings farther and more evenly, and leave a nicer finish.

SuddenBraking and Phl218 like this.