1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Lawn Mower Lift

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, May 21, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Part #787721 looks like the correct high-lift blade for your 52” mower. Unfortunately, it appears that deck uses an odd length of blade (17-55/64” WTF?!) that only fits that deck. Part #795526 (17-7/8”) is worth looking at, if your dealer has them in stock. It’s a commercial Fuzion blade.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a salesman, I’ve not found a better blade than Hustler’s Fuzion blade. That little area of texture on the leading edge is some kind of really hard coating that would last me more than a month, in a commercial environment, before their first sharpening. For your mower, you’re looking at ~$45 for a set of them. I don’t see spending $30 for Amazon blades being a good risk. But, it’s YOUR money. At least, you’ve got part numbers to look at, should choose to look at other Hustler blades.

If you have a local shop with a sharpener, it’s an investment in blade longevity to have them do it for you. Why? Because that sharpener will continuously maintain the same, consistent angle on the cutting edge, giving you many more hours of service life. For the cost of one blade, you can have three fresh blades. Further, your cut quality is maintained, you maximize fuel efficiency, and your mower will more easily do the job.

One of the local lawn guys, running 13(?) mowers, uses internet blades. That guy goes through more blades than one can imagine. They don’t stay sharp and they bend like licorice. I’ve repeatedly explained to him the value of buying good blades, even showing him one of my Fuzions, which weigh about two of his bargain blades. I can make it nearly a whole season on one set of blades, provided I don’t hit anything. Then, I use those blades for leaf cleanup, in the fall.

4. SuddenBraking

Oh, I'm definitely fine with paying more for better quality - I just couldn't find a link or anything for the blades you mentioned except for one blade for $22, in which case it'd almost be easier to replace once or twice a season and be done with it. If you're saying I could get two sets of the Fuzion blades and get them sharpened once a year and that would last me for the next XX years, I'm definitely interested in that solution (would prefer to get blades sharpened than to dispose of them annually).

Do you have a link to the $45 for the Fuzion blades?

BTW, very much appreciate all of you input in this thread - thanks much!

ducnut likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

On a 30” walk behind mower (1/2 acre), I bought a set of cheap blades on the internet and they were junk. Didn’t stay sharp a month before the cut was degraded and the mower was working noticeably harder. Went back to stock Toro blades and it was much better.

I imagine the ones he is pointing you toward are a good step up from those and worth every penny.

ducnut likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So how a bout good mulching blades for a Kubota? Little one - 42.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

This place is a great reference and you can order directly from them, plus $7.95 shipping. You can compare what I’m saying, with their dimensional info.
    http://www.psep.biz/store/excel_hustler_mower_blades.htm

The only things you need to worry about when trying different blades is pilot hole size, length, and offset. Most Hustlers are flat, so you can use different blades than what originally came on it. The most important thing is to try and get into a commercial, high-lift blade on any mower one owns. Airflow pulls the grass straight up for a clean cut and will lay stripes.

The #795526 is the Fuzion I’d get. It is 1/64” difference in length, for some stupid reason, and is why I mentioned going to the dealer and getting a visual difference on it.

I have two of those mowers. Toro designed them with that angular droop in the blade, so the length of the blade doesn’t drag on the grass. Replacement designs I’ve tried scrub the grass, cause noticeable drag on the engine, and don’t leave as fine of finish. And, you’re right. Despite those blades seeming light and cheap, they’re really hard and maintain their sharpness. IMO, the Toro/eXmark 30” mowers leave the nicest finish of any mower on the planet, for normal, cool-season grasses. I ziptie two 1/2” pieces of rebar onto the rear flap, so they’ll lay better stripes.

Did you see that Toro upgraded the engine on the TimeMaster, for this year? It’s 223cc versus 190cc.

30” goodness:

Attached Files:

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t believe in mulching or mulching blades, for a few reasons that would require a quite lengthy essay. But, the short of it is mulching leaves a poor finish, packs decks with buildup, causes material buildup in the lawn that smothers grass and soil and holds moisture that leads to disease, among other issues.

If you can side-discharge, apply the same principles as I posted above. I’m sure the dealer has some kind of high-lift available. If your mower’s blade dimensions match something in the Hustler Fuzion lineup from the link above, then, that’s what I’d recommend.

If you ever buy a replacement mower, get with me and I can give you some guidance on what to look at, for the best quality cut and finish.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't care about finish. Don't care about deck buildup. And no issue in my lawn with smothering or the like at this point. Mulching has actually worked great in getting it all looking much better than it used to and also helps with the leaves in the fall. Side discharge has done worse for me for leaving clumps that kill off parts of the lawn.

I'm not buying another riding mower after this one. Next house will have either much less or much more grass so it'll be push mower or a bush hog.

ducnut likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My TimeMaster is sitting in the garage now taking up space. I will probably sell it off. The pros that I now pay to mow it don’t do as good of a job, but I get about 90 minutes per week back (lots of edging due to a corner lot with grass on both sides of the sidewalk). I don’t have to worry about mowing in 95 degree heat.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Detail work takes a LOT of time most people don’t realize.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do, that's why I don't do it on my yard :crackup:

13. SuddenBraking

How do I figure out which of the four options I want? More than happy to buy the 9pack which is effectively a lifetime supply for $73. Otherwise, it looks like it's $23/blade, at which point I start wondering if just buying budget blades and replacing every season makes more sense.

Sorry for overthinking this, and again - really appreciate your input.

upload_2019-5-27_20-24-48.png

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That multi-pack are aftermarket blades. The bottom ones (795526) are what you want.

I highly doubt you can get a full season out of budget blades.

15. SuddenBraking

Just came back to this thread to remember where to get some more blades :beer:

skidooboy and ducnut like this.
  16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

17. Or a Husqvarna 48 deck :) ya I know I don’t have a fancy ass mower, will be my first year cutting my own lawn in about 12 years.

18. No f ing shit. My last 3 yard companies weren’t horrible but I kind of get all Broome with my lawn. I modified an edger a few days ago to have a double blade as I wanted it a bit wider. Worked mint. Think I’ve laid 320 bales of pine straw so far and about 200 to go. My yard looks way better than it did with anyone else doing it. Now that I have the general base of the yard the way I want it I just need to keep up on the maintenance. Have to replace a couple sprinkler heads tomorrow as well, after I come back from fishing though.

ducnut likes this.
  19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Do you have a yard or a meadow?

20. A cabbage patch.