1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben Bostroms malibu house burns to the ground.

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Nov 13, 2018.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

*accept. I know how you f'ers are about this crap haha.
    And Im pretty sure northern cali still has to follow the laws like southern cali, except now you don't get the nice weather and beaches like the southern part does.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Please enlighten us

"Wildfires have a rapid forward rate of spread (FROS) when burning through dense, uninterrupted fuels.[54] They can move as fast as 10.8 kilometres per hour (6.7 mph) in forests and 22 kilometres per hour (14 mph) in grasslands."

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this knowing how much burned. What a bummer. At least he has a positive outlook on it.

6. dsapsis

I hate to tell you, but FLASH is a long ways from a peer research, and in this case is unreliable. Those values are as far as i know (and I've been studying fire behavior for 30 years) uncorroberated, and likely include long range spotting integrated into the spread calc. Since firebrands do not come with a return address, its always difficult to note both the location and timing of an initiating brand. Extreme rates of spread are usually <3 mph when integrated over reasonable distances where all mechanisms of spread are included. The early estimate for ROS from quasi-equilibrium to the western edge of Paradise was roughly 2 mph. 2 mph fires are smokin' fast, but they aren't "a few miles in a few minutes" even allowing for an extremely generous ratio of one "few" to another "few". We estimated the ROS for the fire Tubbs (Oct 2017 around Santa Rosa) at roughly 3 mph. A few fires have reported roughly 5 mph spread, integrated over 1-4 hour (or longer) durations. Mini-downbursts/gusts can cause flame attachment along a single slope surface and give much higher rates reflecting the wind anomaly, but these are usually in the 10o m spatial scale realm. Fires burn fast, and chances are you are not going to outrun one on its front either under gradient or downdraft/collapsed plume wind influences.

7. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

What is your definition of a few minutes? By your data - "worst case" 14 mph/60 minutes = .233 miles per minute... so 1 mile every 4 minutes roughly

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Perhaps I was generous with the word 'few'. However the speed they spread can be scary fast, especially once the human factor is thrown in. A couple minutes to fully comprehend what is happening, some more minutes to actually realize and start bugging out, and the time to clear the area.

I will admit though, the knowledge you threw out there is impressive, I'm just a professional hustler (salesman) :D I'll gladly sell you on the fact that fire will move at the speed of light and get someone to spend money on it :beer:

vfrket likes this.
  9. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

How did he make his money?

10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

He raced when racers actually made money.

11. dsapsis

Already happened. See the 747 airtanker.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Was the deadpan not obvious?

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-camp-fire-science-20181110-story.html

"The Camp fire started at 6:30 a.m. Thursday in a granite canyon with steep slopes. By 10 a.m., it had ballooned to 5,000 acres, pushed by 50-mph gusts from the northeast.

“This got up and going really, really rapidly,” said Dave Sapsis, a wildland fire scientist with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. “It had almost a direct-arrow line” to Paradise, a town of 27,000 sitting atop a ridge in the Sierra Nevada foothills."

joec, t11ravis and condon66 like this.

14. yk6z2.jpg

JJJerry, OldSchlPunk and jrsamples like this.
  15. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Does cali not do back burns to prevent the fires?

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Looking at his house pics, I could have taken my bobcat and cleared that fuel from around it in an hour or so.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They do backfires to help control fires, they do controlled burns to help prevent fires.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I wish I was wealthy enough to have a Malibu house and not even live in it.

t500racer and badmoon692008 like this.
  19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I disagree. If he truly means what he said, it sounds like he’s one of the very few who have their priorities in order.

SpeedyE and LisaU like this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I thought he got rich from selling those sweet Boz Bros. exhausts