1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bah Humbug, aethists win again

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by EngineNoO9, Oct 29, 2009.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

It is what it is.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

chillax and what not.

3. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I know lots of people who I never discuss religion and politics with....I call them Republicans. :crackup:

4. soderholmd

soderholmd Banned

Impossible........

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Quid???

Come on, open up your mind to a higher level, the truth is within your grasp. Observe nature for what it is, not for what others tell you it is. You're sooo close!

Is that esoteric enough? :D

6. soderholmd

soderholmd Banned

Okay fine..........Do I have to carry hot cauldrons with my forearms........:beer:

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

All this talk of scientific "proof" has me confused. It seems that many here need to go back to a basic book on the philosophy of science, because the scientific method never proves anything. Answering the question "What is Science?" the great 20th Century scientist and thinker Richard Feynman quiped back "Reduced uncertainty". Thus we develop hypothesis, we systematically test them and either reject or accept these based on evidence, and as such continue to rarify our understanding of stuff through a series of disproofs.

Science yeilds inference. Good Science yields strong inference a model for scientific inquiry championed by John Platt in the early 60's, but much of the process goes all the way back to Francis Bacon. If you are interested in how good science should work, read it here
    http://256.com/gray/docs/strong_inference.html

That said, the body of evidence in support of evolution is really large, while the body of evidence casting doubt on it is very small. You be the judge.
    --dave

8. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

In public school I was taught that evolution was fact and the earth IS millions of years old. I then realized these, like many scientific arguments, are theories. Darwin himself stated that his theory could only be proven with fossil proof of the missing links of each spices and that carbon dating is only good for looking back about 50,000 years and only works on organic material (plus natural events such as floods and valcanos void the carbon dating results).

This reminds me of how scienctific theories are always changing; the earth is not flat after all or the earth is not the center of the earth, even scientific studies about what is good for the body change year to year.

Wether you believe in science or religion you must have faith either way. There are no 100% complete answers to life, you must have an amount of faith in anything you believe. Personally, the bible makes more sense and proven more acurate than any theories I have learned about.

If we are all living on faith; if the atheist is right....then nothing, lights out. If Christ is right, there will be no 2nd chance....God will tell you when you die that you had your chance on earth and chose not to believe (if you think that you can live a "good life" and still get in because you were a "good guy" you should really read the bible). He will tell you that you chose to live a life away from God, so in death you will forever be departed from Him. While this sounds ok to some, you have to realize what God is (again, read the bible); he is all that is good and light in the world. If you are departed from God you are alone, in complete darkness and in torment (we are all in God's presense on earth, even if you chose not to know Him). The Christian hell is not partying with the other sinners, it's a lonely departure from God and all that He is (kind of like solitary confinement....for internity and then there's that whole burning lake of fire thing). To me it just seems logical to choose the path that leeds to salvation. If you are betting on atheism, you're betting your soul and you should probably be 100% sure you are making the right decision......the consiquences could be forever.

Reading through these posts many are asking believers to give them definative proof that the God of the bible is who he says he is. If you are truly interested you should research apologetics yourself and not just rely on the postings on a motorcycle board about the truths of God. I'd say it is worth looking into.

9. bardo

bardo Well-Known Member

Green Eggs and Ham is just the new york librul jews trying to tell the country man how to eat his breakfast.

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So you live your life in fear and you make your decisions due to fear. I do not want to compromise and live in fear. I want to live in harmony.

11. bardo

bardo Well-Known Member

in the koran is says that mohammed is the son of god and the savior of man. if you do not believe then you are a heritic and no different than a full atheist. you're betting your soul and you should probablly be 100% sure you are making the right decision......the consiquences could be forever.
    now go blow up an abortion clinic in israel or something.

12. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

and thats why we have the patriot act.:rolleyes:

13. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

You don't respect someone or something out of fear.
    I think Christianity screwed up slightly when it tried to use fear to intimidate people into believing. Its a choice based on faith and something I am no good at explaining so I probably shouldn't even try. I know what I believe in and that is what is important to me.

14. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I don't live my life in fear nor do I make decisions out of fear. I trust God and that takes away all my fear. I feel more in "harmony" now then I ever did as an atheist. Life makes more sense to me now than it ever has.

Personally I think that not understanding the word of God is a huge compromise in life. There are many assumptions to what it's like to have God in one's life and until you truly live with God in your life, how would you ever know what it's like? If you only take in what the secular world tells you is true about God and never investigate Him fully for your self, how will you ever know where the truth really lies?

15. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The q'uran never says that Mohamed was the son of God. Islam states that no one could ever be the son of God (which is one reason they disregard Christianity at such a high degree). Mohamed himself stated that he felt the visions he saw in a cave while writing the Q'uran were satanic. Most of the q'uran is old bible stories put into poetic verse. Many scholars beleive that Mohamed wrote the q'uran based on stories he heard from the west and that the q'uran was his way of starting a revolution in Arabia. The q'uran also recognizes that Christ was crucified. Islam recognizes that Christ was a great prophet, but deny his divinity.

The Buddhists also beleived in a 2nd comming of the buddha and if you did not beleive in him you would not live in paradise. Since this buddhist doctorine was written about a thousand years after Christ I asked my professor if Christianity could have any influence over this belief. She said that many scholars believe that the buddhists at that time made this doctorine because Christianity was spreading through Asia and wanted to copy the Christian beliefs (this was an Asian religion studies class, not a seminary class or anything).

The bible prophasizes that many will come in the name of God and claim that they are the work of God, but we are to be vigilant and study His word so that we recognize these false prophets. It also prophasizes that the Islamic people will live and die by the sword (the whole bastard son of Abraham thing).

The bible also prophasizes that many will ridicule believers for their faith in God. So, I laugh at your last comment because in a way it gives validity to
    the bible.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Glenn Beckish grandiosity... They didn't have to prophetize this, they were living it then and still are for same fair reason...

Aren't you tempted to ridicule Joseph Smith too?

17. H8R

Wow...the thread is back from the dead...

Let me try and give box score...

Amount of evidence that supports Evolution:

97%

Amount of evidence that supports Creationism:

0%

Amount of evidence that is inconclusive:

3%

Btw I made up the numbers...and I tried to err on the creationist side....the 3% is inconclusive, and in no way has anything to do with creationism.

18. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Why?

Are you saying that god did not always exist and or will not exist at some point in the future?

19. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The bible also prophasized that the Jewish people (God's people) would be taken out of their home land and dispersed throughout the world, kept from their promised land, and will be ostrasized for their liniage.

Christ prophasized his own future as well as that of the church including the martyrdom of his appostiles.

I do not feel that the Mormon doctorine holds water. It varies greatly from the original word of God mainly because it does not trust what was written in the bible and has made its own religion, seperate from teachings of the bible.

20. H8R

You mean kinda like Jesus did when his followers added new chapters to the Bible after his alleged life?