1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bacon Poll

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Feb 4, 2022.

?

Bacon is better

1. Crunchy and crispy

84 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Soggy

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, baked is best.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Convection oven...

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Check your email

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Ah, good point. My next house will have one. I remember all the bitching you did about air fryers being stupid, but mine does an incredible job at certain things that my oven cannot. Since then, I've watched some videos of air fryers vs. convection ovens and the results looked nearly identical. I'm sold.

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

My undercooked bacon was about 20 mins in 400 normal oven.

Convection ovens? Air fryers? Who the fuck have those? And why air fry when oil frying tastes so good?

30 secs in the micro fixed up the bacon, in case any of you were worried about me having to eat soggy crap

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

just ignore anyone that says cook it for XX minutes. Cook it until it is done. Done usually means most of the water has escaped and it is foaming. I go a bit past this, as I prefer a slight burnt tinge.

7. Dave Wolfe

I pulled it out when it looked like it does when Id pull it out of a frying pan. Yeah, that dont work with baking.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Not long enough. You ever seen crispy bacon, boy? :D
    Also works better putting the bacon on a small rack in a shallow pan.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doing that now as I catch up here.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The "how long" to cook it part will vary quite a bit depending on the thickness and fat content of the bacon in addition to how crispy you like it. Thin wimpy Oscar Meyer strips don't take that long to bake. On the other end of the spectrum are these monsters:
    Triple-Thick Butcher Cut Bacon | Nueske's (nueskes.com)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. Dave Wolfe

Right now my hands smell like bacon and its delightful.

cBJr and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Bacon cure on the agenda for the weekend. Of course that includes some butchery too.

Whole middle third
    IMG_0079.jpg

Boned out and loin removed

IMG_0082.jpg

Belly
    IMG_0083.jpg

Dry cure
    IMG_0085.jpg

Will smoke in a week and cryovac. Can slice as thick as you want. :beer:
    (I use the oven method -- timing will vary)

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh my goodness. I am never sending a food pic again. Not even to my mother, lolol. Nom nom!

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

15. Dave Wolfe

Thats why you are so grumpy!! :Poke:

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I only eat uncured bacon now. Love it.

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Crispy and thick sliced. Anything else is not as nature intended.

18. dsapsis

There is no such thing. If it is salted it is cured, and all bacon is salted. You are probably referring to the new processing fad of not using inorganic nitrates directly, but rather celery extract -- they label this "uncured" it what can only be described as a semantic difference. Chemically it is still nitrate, it still undergoes the the same (bacterially mediated) redox reactions. Naturally occurring nitrogen in the proteins of the meat do this all by themselves -- hence dry-cured hams like prosciutto and Spanish jamón that are cured with salt exclusively (nothing else it added). So, you can find cured meats without additional nitrates in their production, but I am not aware of any commercial bacon made that way. Too much expectation of color and too much reliance on fast time to produce.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I knew you would jump in on this and you did not disappoint. All hail the bacon king.:beer:

20. dsapsis

It's a porcine-y weekend. Also made salami with the other parts of that mid-section. In the fermenter now:

IMG_0087.jpg
    75F/95%RH for two days for acidification, then to the drying shed.