1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backmakers and MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by Chand, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Ok, did anybody see what you are all talking about? IIRC, Bautista was on the racing line and chopped the throttle and sat up. It struck me as pretty damn stupid at the time and I don't fault Casey giving a quick hand gesture.

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Big misconception IMO...I (and most I would think) want to see the best riders on the best equipment, not grid fillers.

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Some of the most exciting racing happens with grid fillers.

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Big difference IMO

5. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I dont disagree with that Chris...but not when it interferes with the overall scheme of the race. JMO

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

At that level 30 mph difference is sluggish.This is MotoGP we're talking about,not V6HW.

7. caferace

caferace No.

Considering Stoner has been lapped on a MotoGP bike before, perhaps he should just get on with business?

-jim

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Again, all you fuggers bitching about backmarkers need to never never ever ever watch any of the 500cc era races when Kenny or Rainey et al were lapping mofos. It was terrible. Just terrible I tell ya. Crashing into each other n shitte.

9. caferace

caferace No.

:stupid:

-jim

10. Would definitely provide some lulz. :D

11. That is just the thing...he DOES have business being out there. While your opinion of what constitutes "business being out there" may vary from what the rules state...the rules are the rules and until they change, the guy that makes the cutoff by 0.1 has just as much right to be out there as the guy who cut the fastest lap. :)

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

They could try throwing a full-course yellow flag and bunch up the field behind the leaders whenever the backmarkers are about to be lapped.

You know, like NASCAR. :D

13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Kinda makes you wonder who here hasnt been a back marker at some point? Apparently ya'll run top spots in expert class and never get passed.

15. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So you were happy with the 12 bikes or so that were on the MotoGP grid at the last race of the year last year? That's what you're asking for by getting rid of the "back markers and grid fillers" who don't belong...:Poke:

It is the responsibility of the passing rider to get past the lapper cleanly...as long as the lapper holds his line, you can't bitch about them being out there...they paid their money and qualified under the current rules, they deserve to be on the track as long as they are racing in a "safe" manner just as much as the prima donnas deserve to be there...you are on the faster bike, get around the slower bike and get on with it...:tut:

16. Like in Supercross. I feel like they get half a lap into the 20 laps and they are already passing lapped riders :down:

17. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I agree with Chaotic (just don't tell him...lol). If they make the qualifying times they have every right to be out there as much as the top runners. Passing others is part of the race whether they are in 3rd place or in last. There has to be a time cut off or you would only end up with five people on the grid. That would be kind of boring. I actually enjoy watching the "back markers" more the the dudes in front.

18. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I love backmarkers. They add another level of strategy into the game. I remember both loving and hating them in racing myself. Sometimes they worked to my advantage. Sometimes they hurt. I remember 2 distinct times they directly hurt me when I wanted it most. My very first race, just got the lead at Jennings and on the last lap going into 3 there was a backmarker going 30mph slower. I chose the inside line, and so did he. The guy I was battling with took the outside. Another at Roebling, battling Larry Denning. Last lap and I knew where I'd pass him. Larry would always take the winder line in 5 and I could run a much tighter line. I stayed behind him the whole race waiting for the last lap to pass him there. Well... guess what, you guessed it. Would I change it? Not one friggin' bit. That was my fault for having a bad strategy. Of all my races, those are some of the most memorable of my life. I loved it as much as I hated it.

So I'm with Steel, these guys are pros. Casey is a whiney b!tch and should suck it up. Backmarkers make racing more exciting IMO as they always come into play during those last few critical laps.

19. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

A line clamp or a crash is an error.
    Going into a race knowing full well you are x time off the leaders is not an error.
    That's the difference.

20. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

FWIW, he hadn't qualified for the race. That happens today, so.....