1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automotive Clear Overlays - A Question

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Mar 10, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I just bought my mom a new car. I may want to get a clear "bra" for the front (don't know the proper/current term). What should I expect in cost, and can anyone suggest a resource to get it installed?

What else should I know about it? Car is a 2020 Avalon.

TIA.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

i've installed a 3M kit on the Panigale myself. with the shapes and bends, it was a bitch but i made it stick (pun)

on a car?
    in the dark, drunk, with sunglasses...

watch 2-3 youtube videos on it and get a kit online.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Xpel is the leader/most popular solution. I would look at their site for certified installed and go from there.

My mom had her 2000 Avalon for close to 15 years. She loved that thing.

doppio and YamahaRick like this.
  4. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Paint protection film. Cost depends on coverage - standard coverage is usually front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors from 24"-36" to full hood and fenders.

XPEL is one of the top film brands, check their website for installers in your area or give them a call and ask them. You're paying for quality film and installation quality, so you want an experienced installer and film patterns for your vehicle cut on a plotter, not someone cutting on your car from a bulk roll of film. Cost can very depending on area and competition. Where are you located?

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2 hrs from metro Atlanta. Will look for a resource on NW side.

6. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

YamahaRick and doppio like this.
  8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Timely thread. I'm putting 3m paint protection film on my new HD today. Just doing the rear fender under the seat, as I know from previous bikes that this area gets beat to hell. I may try doing it saddlebag lids afterwards depending on how it goes. I'm a little leery of putting it on highly visible areas because I'd like to be able to wax/polish and have them shine. We'll see. I am thinking of paying to have the rest of the paint ceramic coated after seeing a friend's results on his car... but holy shit, the price.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

If prepped properly, it will still shine even with vinyl. I wanted it for my car front, but $2k was a price too steep for me to do hood/fenders/bumper...but now with rock chips...I feel like I should. Ceramic coating is just longer lasting wax.

They sell ceramic coating for on top of vinyl too now.

BTW Congrats on the new Bike!

~sent from mobile

10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

What happens if that clear bra has to come off after 5 or 10 years? Is the paint underneath unaffected?

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Pretty sure it just peals off and doesn't screw with your paint.

The damn things work great. It was installed on my FJ when I bought it. Had it put on another car, damn it's expensive. So much so, I think I'll try to do it myself if I ever do another one.

YamahaRick and BigBird like this.
  12. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

The cheap ppl can pull off clear coat. Xpel is great. I had it on a pearl white Prius and after 4 years I needed to replace a piece on lower front bumper and was surprised at how it removed. But I can say it was a bitch to install. I watched them and they fought with it way more than the F150 right next to it

BigBird likes this.
  13. Scotty87

Hmm. Worth trying to do it myself?

Thanks homie!

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

You can probably definitely do it. Soap/water and a heat gun/hair dryer for curves.

If you don't like how it's coming off, you can always remove it

~sent from mobile

15. Scotty87

I meant the ceramic.

BigBird likes this.
  16. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

get menzerna power lock....apply it twice a year....longer lasting than wax, shorter than ceramic....super easy to apply....just make sure to painter tape the black rubber parts on the car.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

ceramic is super easy to apply. the hardest part is the before work, the polishing and removal of swirl marks. On a new vehicle, those can be easy to remove, if they are even there.

I like CarPro products. After the polishing, and alcohol wipe down to remove any waxes, ceramic coating is literally faster than applying wax to a car. You apply the coat in a line, I use CQuartz, watch for the rainbow, and then remove. It takes one to two minutes for that to happen usually. It's not hard to do at all, people have made it out to be witchcraft.

I also like to use CarPro Hydro2 when washing a vehicle, ceramic coat or not on it, and it's another hydrophobic layer added.

18. Scotty87

Yeah this is all a new world to me. My old daily rider bike was twenty years old, I washed it once in the spring and once in the fall lol. I wash my pickup once a year. Now with a brand new, black bike I feel like I better step my shit up. The biggest thing I’m thinking on is paint correction before the ceramic. I’m fairly certain I could handle it (I was a detailer in high school and college) but I don’t have any buffers or detail tools any more and I’m not sure I wanna dip my toe back into that world.

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

tons of decent stuff on the cheap. yes it can get expensive fast, and can be time consuming, but when it's done right, you feel a great personal satisfaction looking at the shiny vehicle.

BTW I swore never another black vehicle. Good Luck. They look fantastic when clean, but it such maintenance.

20. Scotty87

I know. Pickup trucks or daily driver cars I only get grey, silver, white, etc.

I just can’t resist a black bike. I know it’s a pain in the ass but I can’t help it.

BigBird likes this.