1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automotive Clear Overlays - A Question

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Mar 10, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OK, a quote from Derek says a wrap job for the Avalon will cost me a stimulus check - $1400.00. Includes:

- Full Wrapped Hood

- Full Wrapped Front Fenders

- Side Mirrors and Door Cups

- Full Front Bumper kit

- Headlight kit

He also has a waiting list that varies between four to six weeks. I'd say that is a sign he does good work. :--)

Color correction - this is my only question/concern. The majority of miles being driven ~will~ be on the Interstate, so I am OK with getting the PPF. But how much do I "invest (spend)" on the paint prior to PPF install? And who should I get to do it?

doppio likes this.
  2. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Good price for full front wrapped with top film and installer.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

tell you the truth, clay, and then the time tested Meguiars 105/205 combo is my favorite. Orange pad and decent machine will get great results.

Follow that up with a IPA Wipedown and a CQuartz Ceramic coat. Beautiful finish. takes time though, especially on something that large, but not too many curves, so shouldn't be too bad.

Also, depending on your water quality, even the ceramic can get swirls, but they sell stuff for that after.

View attachment 182317 35255729764_ae615f8aca_o.jpg

doppio and Dave_SV like this.
  4. YamahaRick

Looks nice! Still a VW though.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  5. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Looks good. That's the process I use and just did my car again except instead of ceramic I used M7 glaze and two applications of M20 sealant.

BigBird likes this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

:confused:

7. YamahaRick

Well, you guys and your overthetop/incredible/beyondbelief vehicle appearances are making me crazy! It shows what is possible!

I washed the Avalon today, as it was in the rain with its last use. Now that I am more knowledgeable about this topic, it is amazing how dirty the car was. It didn't happen today, but it would be amazing if I could get its sheen to match some of the images here.

I'm somewhat sold on the front end PPF; still debating color correction.

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I almost fell down this rabbit hole but said fug all that and what it’s worth!
    Two buckets to wash. Wiping off the car after rain , if not garage kept. After I got the basic information that I was looking for I said bump that noise. I apply “good enough wax, with a suitable, non swirl producing buffer and moved on, once or twice a year.
    I do see how it can become an obsession. :beer:

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Spent like 4 hours washing the wife's new CX-9 for the first wash this weekend and well the valets at her job dented the front door today.

This is a new record for them...1 month and 1 week old.

[​IMG]

~sent from mobile

10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I use Rupes yellow pads for almost everything.
    Meguiars 105 and 205 coumpounds (I think the new ones are 110 and 210)

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

good info. interesting they have an update, may have to look at it.

12. YamahaRick

Another variable in my decision making process ... Toyota sells OEM specific to the model wrap pieces. Paint Protection Film - Hood, Fenders, Mirror Backs & Door Cups kit for $190.00. Now the question is will a very good installer use a customer-supplied kit.

2020 Toyota Avalon Paint Protection Film - Hood, Fenders, Mirror Backs & Door Cups - PT90707192 | Toyota South Atlanta, Morrow GA

I know it may not be as nice as the Xpel stuff, the the potential price point will be more attractive. The Avalon is not exactly a high end exotic.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would give it a try for sure. Toyota is Toyota...they usually know what they are doing.

~sent from mobile