1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI/VW mechanics, need help

Discussion in 'General' started by kaoyagi, Oct 11, 2012.

1. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Damn, time to look at the warranty.

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

only certain years.

3. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

Never seen a TDI eat the valve train, but I have seen several decide to make a midnight snack out of the high pressure fuel pump. You have to replaced EVERYTHING that fuel comes in contact with, from the tank to the injectors!

Some of the '06-'07 FSI motors with wear the fuel pump follower down to nothing, and if it goes unchecked for too long, it will ruin the intake cam. I've got a car on the lift right now that's getting rebuilt for this reason.

The nice thing about VW is that if they find a major problem like this, they'll extend the warranty coverage on that system out to 100-120k miles. I've done 5 diesel fuel systems in the last year and they've all been under extended warranty campaigns, even the one with 110k miles. They take care of their customers.

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

A friend had on 06 or 07 which had the cams wear through the lifters. I think it was just over 100k miles and they didn't cover it. For some reason they made the cam lobes narrower for a year which caused the problems.

5. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me to go check my girlfriends. It typically uses a few quarts between oil changes. When it was under warranty we did a consumption test and got told to pound sand.

6. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Funny, my wife's jetta Wolfsburg (Audi 2.0 T, different tune), is specked for 10k oil change. Thought that was a bit odd , especially for a new car.

Always thought mfgs want a complete look over at 5k, including oil.

Insides of the exhaust tips are pretty black. No oil light yet. Then again, she drives it like a Prius!

7. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My girlfriend's car is an 08 Wolfsburg with the same motor. By the time the light comes on it is down at least two quarts. I'd keep an eye on it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Plenty of warnings on the dash to let the owner know, not a big deal.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not sure what the spec is on Evelynes for changes, hers gets changed more for time than miles.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

On my 2.7T, oil change interval per spec is 10k.

We get it changed every 5k. Just had it done, it was 1.5 qt low and threw the dash light just before going in.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My 1.8T went through a quart every 3 ~ 4K. My current 2.0T uses almost none every 5K. It get changed more often than the 10K request because, like Evelyne's, it has more time than miles.

12. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Manufacturer's oil change intervals are largely based on lowering the cost per mile of ownership ratings to make their stuff stack up better under comparison to other makes.
    I was taught change intervals should be based on average trip time/average road speeds.
    The shorter the trip/lower the speed, the more often you have to change due to the build up of water vapor in the crankcase.
    Longer/higher speed trips burn off the water vapor and extend the service life of the oil.
    FWIW, the by-products of combustion combined with water vapor combine to form my two favorite things (that can happen inside a customer engine)..varnish and acid..

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

a quart every 1000 is pretty much the industry standard (most cars won't burn that much) but usually anything more than that is considered a problem