1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI/VW mechanics, need help

Discussion in 'General' started by kaoyagi, Oct 11, 2012.

1. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

I know with closed crank case vehicles some oil consumption is inevitable, but what is excessive? Wife has a 07 A4 with 2.0T, 75K miles, recently the low oil light started coming on before 5000 miles. It's a CPO so we take the car to the dealer for the major maintenance intervals but I do the minor ones and change the oil every 5000 miles with VW spec oil.
    Took it to the dealer and they preformed an oil consumption test. The car is losing 0.17 quarts every 1000 miles, as far as Audi USA is concerned that is well within acceptable levels. Is this correct?
    So I asked the service adviser, a loss of 1.7 quarts within their oil change interval of 10K is okay. According to Audi USA, Yes. The engine holds less than 5 quarts, so roughly 35% of the oil is lost before the recommended change interval and that is well within the allowable range. Yes. Am I wrong to think that it is too high?
    Anyways I asked what Audi would call excessive to where it is above their allowable threshold, are you ready? A loss of ONE QUART EVERY 1200 MILES.:eek:
    WTF! So if our car was right below the threshold I would be adding 7 quarts in between their recommended oil changes and that is considered normal?
    Help me out here, Is this really the acceptable level for Audi?

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I don't know about Audi's but my Honda uses 1 quart every 1k miles and has been for years.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelynes A4 burns through a quart in between changes, car runs great hasn't affected anything. Doesn't really surprise me in a high revving turbo.

4. kaoyagi

Mongo, is Evelyne changing her oil at 5K or 10K? Like I said I knew that there would be some loss, I just didn't figure just under a quart every 5K. That just seemed high to me. When I had my 78 K5 blazer I was putting a quart every 500 but that's a different story.

5. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

our 2010 A4 Avant did the same for the 10k miles we had it. Lost a little under 2 quarts throughout that time. It's normal for the cars, don't fret.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think she's doing it every 5k since hers isn't driven all that much per year, still have to add a quart in between.

7. kaoyagi

Well I guess it's pretty normal from what I have seen on Audi forums and such. It just surprised me at the rate, but the allowable limit of 1 quart per 1200miles is high IMHO.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sucks but it's on the high end of normal.

9. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

May depend on the oil as well, some oils cook off the light elements into vapor pretty fast which would account for some of the loss.
    Twere it me, I would switch to something like Castrol 0/30 or 5/20 and retest..

10. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

1 quart per 5k miles is the absolute most acceptable amount in my professional opinion. Audi certified independent tech here. Make sure whatever oil you use conforms to VW 505.01 spec/ I like Lubromoly 5w40.

11. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

I go through a quart or two between oil changes on my TT with a 1.8t engine. I usually run 6-8K between changes.

If it matters, I use Rotella T6 synthetic

12. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Audi - bah !
    Get a Toyota ! LOL !!!!

Seems high to me also -

13. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

when I toiled for a GM store,GMs policy was a quart in 600 miles was acceptable

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Much older car, but 20 years ago I had a Porsche 930 turbo and it was spec'd at a quart every 500 miles.

15. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

You might want to check the engine for some leaking gaskets or seals, other than that its not that bad.

16. kaoyagi

Yeah, no leaks. I checked and the dealer rechecked.

17. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

I had this discussion with one of our VW regional tech guys today, he agrees that the allowable rate is ridiculous, but I did a consumption test on an Eos (the worst offenders) and it came back using 1qt every 1067mi and tech line said that it was acceptable. At that rate there would be no oil left in the engine with around 30 miles before the next oil change was due.

18. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Is this an issue only with the gasses or do the TDIs eat oil too?

19. beechkingd

Guess they expect the owner to check their oil once in awhile between oil changes?

20. beechkingd

The TDI's just eat valve trains.