1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT 2011 Thru Hike

Discussion in 'General' started by NCcummins, Mar 1, 2011.

1. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

good luck bro...come back with all your toes.....

3. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

I give you credit man

my buddy did it a few years ago

still not sure why anyone would want too but I give you guys props

i'm guessing you've done all the research and so forth

how much does your pack way? how much do you plan on spending?

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Good luck and have fun!

5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Look forward to reading about it! Have fun and be safe! :up:

6. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

That is awesome :up: Big props to you for doing that. I wish I would have right after college, but alas, I'll have to live vicariously through you as I follow your blog.

7. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Thank you. I had my 11th ingrown permanently removed about a month ago so I'm hoping I don't have any problems with things such as that.

haha thanks man. I think the number one question I get is "why in the hell would anyone want to do such a hike?" and I honestly don't know how to answer that. I guess it's different for everyone as their reasons behind doing a thru hike.

My pack weighs 38 lbs right now with water, food, and all my gear. I hope to shave it down to around 35 lbs before I start my hike.

I had old gear so I spent around $1,800 buying new gear for the hike. I have $5,000 saved up for the actual hike (this includes beer, pizza, motel rooms, hotel rooms, hostels, beer, pizza, and beer).

Thanks!:beer:

Glad to hear that and thank you

Around 50% of the people on the trail are college/high school graduates and the other 50% are retirees. There are a few middle aged people in between but that is the vast majority of the AT thru hikers.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If you see Mark Sanford, say hello.

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Have a great hike and take precautions against TICKS! There are lots of reports of hikers contracting Lyme Disease from ticks along the AT.

I've done sections of the AT, one part in Lyme Center, NH passes within a half-mile of my summer home, so if you are north of Hanover, NH and want to come jump in the pond and have a home-cooked meal, I could possibly make that happen. (You can use the dock and pond even if I can't be there, but with a day or two notice I could fly up and we could chill with some beef on the barbie. When you have a rough itinerary worked out, let me know. It takes time to arrange the plane, cuz i don't own it.

My place in in this map, just South of the beginning of the ascent of Smarts Mountain, in the section maintained by Dartmouth Outing Club. The cottage is on Reservoir pond, in 117 sq. miles of virgin forest.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. six6two

six6two AWD

Have fun man! Southbound or Northbound? I'm doing a thru hike when I graduate... can't wait!

11. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Good Luck!! That's awesome!

I've watched a few shows on PBS about peeps doing the entire hike! I'll definitely check in on your link to follow your progress!

Sure wish I had the months of time it requires to do it!!

12. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I'll do that man.

Ticks are about the only thing I'm "scared" of on the AT. I f*cking hate them and seem to me a magnet for them. I have worked out a few thing to help prevent them along the way. Lyme disease would be an awful way to have to end a hike!

Man I would greatly appreciate the food and the swim in the pond at your place in NH. I'll definitely get on here and let you know what things are looking like a few months before but my guess would be I'll be coming through NH around early - mid August. It sounds like you have an amazing piece of property!

Thanks!:beer:

I'll be doing a NoBo thru hike. I'm glad your planning on doing the AT!

Thanks! PBS as well as Nat Geo both have some great information on the AT:up:

13. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I want to say thanks for the PMs I have got offering support along the trail. I really appreciate it and have stored your numbers and will certainly give you a call when I'm hiking through that area.

Here are a few pictures from Max Patch to Lemon Gap and back today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and of course my Subaru with the AT tag:

[​IMG]

14. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

That sounds very cool. I'd love to do that some day, although I'd prefer the Pacific Crest. I HATE the fucking rain. Hate it!

15. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I wanna do that so bad... I'm dying to take a long distance trip away from everything... Can't ever get any takers... I guess I could go all "127 days" and do it by myself, but its more fun to have friends.

16. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

I'd like to hike the PCT at some point as well. I don't mind the rain and it will certainly be raining on the AT :beer:

I planned to do it alone until about a month ago my buddy from Maine said he was going to hike with me as far as he could so that changed things. You'll meet a bunch of people on the trail as well.

17. Dirty806

Dirty806 ~Leatt USA

That is awesome! I am very envious! I spent 48 days on the trail last year with the intention to complete a thru hike. My knee decided that it didn't want to go with me. Matt and I are going to serve up some trail magic this spring, so I hope we come across you. We are very close to the start of the trail and if you need anything, give me a holler!

Check out this website, you can record audio postings for your friends and family. Trust me, talking on the phone is WAY easier than finding a computer to type on :) http://trailphone.net/hiker/668649779/

18. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Hey man thanks for the link! I have never heard of this site before. I will definitely keep everyone in mind who has offered help and I greatly appreciate it. 1 day or 48 days on the AT is something that is awesome to achieve. I have only spent about 20-30 days on the trail so far, so certainly looking forward to a thru hike. I hope my body parts agree with my while on my hike!

Thanks again!:beer:

19. NCcummins

NCcummins NADEAU

Hey guys. This is the last time I'll be on the forum for a while. I leave tomorrow morning to head to Springer, and will set out to begin my thru hike Saturday morning. Thanks for all the support in this thread and also a big thanks to those of you who will be following my via my journal.

-Chris

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have fun and stay safe!