1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Assuming MA would have to mandate a stock or super-stock motor to balance performance, it would be much cheaper to run the Aprilia.

5axis likes this.
  2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Has there ever been any BoP applied to Twins Cup?

Seems like they don't care that Junior Cup is all one bike, and Twins never struck me as a class they were trying to encourage diversity in either, but I could be wrong.

3. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Don't the 400s run a restrictor? In any event, this is probably the first time it's really come up for twins.

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

As a Twins racer, I will say I’m interested in racing the Aprilia if it is competitive without changing pistons and cams. If you are allowed and therefore have to do a full engine build on the Aprilia to be competitive, then I think the grids could shrink. I would like to race a competitive twin without needing a 5-8k engine build. At that point, it’s probably more cost competitive to race a Stock 1000.

5. Jb.junior

Jb.junior Well-Known Member

Dang, that's a bummer to hear. I'm thinking of getting one for a street bike to replace my recently stolen Ducati Hypermotard. :( Were you tracking it a lot? I would imagine that the 790s were more reliable as they were still built in Austria -- before KTM moved production to China (late this year?).

6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I did one track day on it for a grand total of 85 miles and that was only after all my issues were remedied.

Both bikes were made in Austria actually however I believe KTM is moving the 890 offshore and the 790 is now discontinued.

I traded in my 790 for the 890 and only had 2-3 issues with it the brief time I had it - not great but nowhere near the debacle the 890 was.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

581981CA-B25A-41B2-9699-1B50BCA4A5CB.jpg

Senna likes this.
  8. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Lance Molnar likes this.
  10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I had pizza with Kaleb the other night, he does think the chassis is pretty awesome, but the power is nothing special compared to the (fully built) Yamaha. The bars / clip ons are weird. All of the bikes were a little different, perhaps the pre-production software issues?

As it's been said before, there are currently no production models here in the US. So EVEN IF MA gets one by the first of the year, and homologates it, you're looking at 90 days to get one race prepped.

Everything from Footpegs to bodywork needs to be developed.

Software issues can be tricky when you start race prepping. My buddy prepped a KTM 790 for CCS, he had all kinds of problems with it this weekend. Quickshifter doesn't want to work, went into limp mode at the start and wouldn't rev past 6k, ABS kicking in at weird times.

All things that can be fixed with TESTING, something that is going to be in short supply between now and April.
    Without a rocket assist, it's impossible to get that much reliable HP out of the Yamaha or the SV. Kaleb's and my Yamahas have similar builds, making 87-88ish HP. Kaleb blew two head gaskets this season. I popped one, and my rev limit is set 1500 RPM lower. And that's a high dollar build with custom ground cams, etc. The Aprilia will end up limited somehow. MA isn't stupid.

713 likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Rearsets, bodywork, gearing, brakes, full exhausts, suspensions, clip-ons/top clamp, and a few other things are already available from EU/UK.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

As opposed to the uncompetitive one with a 5-8k build you're racing now? :D

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Shots fired ! :crackup:

14. Monsterdood

Oh it’s competitive in the right hands.... lol

15. Monsterdood

Saying that a stock untuned bike is nothing special on power is sorta funny though right? Especially after hopping off of a very strong FZ. I suspect his feeling is the weak mid-range compared to the SV/FZ. With exhaust, tuning, and the right gearing, I suspect it will feel quite different.

And I suspect it won’t take but a week or two to get one race ready. Tuned, suspension dialed, and developed, no, but race ready, sure. I’m interested in the race weight we’ll see with these too.

Gino230 likes this.
  16. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I must be looking in wrong places cause I have not found much.

ducnut likes this.
  17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You gotta’ follow every RS660 page you can find on FB. The owners and world groups are both good pages and Gabro Racing Team is another to follow.

The Eyetalians are moving fast with product offerings. I figure, the UK sources aren’t far behind.

FB rolls so fast and scrambles it all, so finding posts is ridiculously difficult, once one closes out of FB. When I see someone working on products, I just hit the “like” button on their page, to keep up with developments. That’s the best I can offer you.

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Oh I have no doubt the bike will be fast, and they will get them ready quickly. Especially because Robem Engineering is very motivated to make one race ready, and has the ability to make parts.

ducnut likes this.
  20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy