1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Feb 20, 2017.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm about 8 minutes drive from where it crosses route 11 just outside of Carlisle. If you need anything, post up or PM me when it's time.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

REI is a garbage store. Overpriced, underperforming gear for hipsters.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Have you read Bill Bryson's "A walk in the woods" ?
    Hilarious ... How many Lil Debbies should you carry on a long walk ?

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'm at Peekskill, NY about 4 miles off the trail just on the east side of the Hudson. Give a holler when you get nearby.

5. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

6. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Really??

7. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Thanks guys! Don't know where We'll be when, so I'll try to post up here sometimes with progress.

8. PistolPete

Good to know, thanks...:bow:

9. PistolPete

Yea, great book, and according to most of what I've read, once the "hiker hunger" kicks in, the answer is "As many as you can carry!"

10. PistolPete

Ok, I'll bite. Where do you recommend I be looking for underpriced, overperforming gear?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Hey, I didn't mention your name. :D

12. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

13. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

My son did the whole thing a couple of years ago. Had a blast, didn't over plan. Stay away from the established overnight spots, nasty. He started in late March and was done in 5.5 months. They were doing 20mi a day at the end. Don't take long breaks, makes it very hard to get back on the trail.

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Pete!
    I miss hearing your stories of adventure at the track.
    Why don't you stay on the boat in the tropics?
    I guess it's true... old people are just nvr happy. :D

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. PistolPete

All good stuff there, for sure! But none of them come close to underpriced! But that's not my only gripe. For the Gossamer gear and Zpacks, both were brands I wanted to consider, but for my pack I definitely wanted to try it on and even spend some time with it before buying. If it doesn't fit me well, my hike is gonna suck. The Mariposa, like the ULA I was considering, has no back ventilation system, and this hike is going to be sweaty enough without a pack laying on my back all day. And the Zpack is nearly double the price of a good light Osprey pack, for a savings of about 8 oz. Osprey also has a no questions, lifetime, any reason warranty. Hard to beat. The Tarptent I considered too, but on the AT there's going to be lots of cold wet nights so we decided to go with a double wall tent to help hold down condensation inside. It's a little heavier, but larger too, and since there's 2 of us sharing, the weight is split. Western Mountaineering is great stuff! Haven't heard anything but good things about them, but they're very expensive. I have a two person quilt/bag from Enlightened Equipment, also well respected, same weight, for less than 1 WM bag.
    This is not a bRoOmE budget expedition. I'm not trying to win the AT, just hike it...

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And they hate motorcycles.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. PistolPete

I'm hoping to have a blast too! And anyone who know's me will tell you, I'm not much of an overplanner...
    Aaron, I miss telling them too! Hopefully this will just add to the list...
    As for the boat, I've got to sail it back to FL just to start this next adventure. This relaxing ain't easy!
    And watch the "Old People" cracks son...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. PistolPete

I did not know that...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most of the larger companies that are big with hipsters support the eco freaks who are trying to shut down riding areas - and the more extreme ones want to shut down horse riding and even hiking/camping. Those groups all get money from REI and the like.

Boman Forklift and brex like this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Not just being snarky, but the stuff sold at WalMart will do perfectly fine for the vast majority of people. And in many cases is on par with REI.
    And REI is very much anti outdoor recreation, they are a very political group. But this isn't the dungeon, so that is where I end that.