1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Feb 20, 2017.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Speakin' of ticks, there are under layers designed to be tick-proof. Don't know how reliable they are.

Also, Caladryl. Hate to say it.

Are you allowed to carry a machete?
    A good chopper works better to keep weight down than a heavy knife and axe, and they're cheap. Just carry a small knife like this 3 3/8" blade for intricate work.
    [​IMG]
    Don't forget a cheap sharpener like an Accusharp.

And gloves. MX gloves will do.

Connor: [picking out weapons and gear] Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope.
    Murphy: Absolutely. What are ya, insane?
    Connor: No I ain't. Charlie Bronson's always got rope.
    Murphy: What?
    Connor: Yeah. He's got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it.
    Murphy: You've lost it, haven't ya?
    Connor: No, I'm serious.
    Murphy: Me too. That's stupid. Name one thing you gonna need a rope for.
    Connor: You don't fuckin' know what you're gonna need it for. They just always need it.
    Murphy: What's this 'they' shit? This isn't a movie.
    Connor: Oh, right.
    [picks up large knife out of Murphy's bag]
    Connor: Is that right, Rambo?

Murphy: All right. Get your stupid fuckin' rope.
    Connor: I'll get my stupid rope. I'll get it. This is a rope right here.
    :D

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sweet deal! I don't have a decent surplus near me...the good ones are always near military installations.

The Euros know how to do it...but that thing is huge, 80 + 20 liters! I do like it, tho'. If I were gonna spend real money, I'd be lookin' at the Euro stuff or hope to find some of their surplus. We all have our priorities and, as of yet, I haven't find my ideal pack.

3. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Just spitballing here but looking at your gear list you may be able to get away with a smaller (lighter) pack. I use the Osprey 40l pack and can easily fit the stuff needed for 4-5 days. This is especially true if you're splitting carrying duties with someone else. Almost anywhere on the trail you're no more than a couple days at most from a road crossing or town so don't feel like you need to pack to live off the land for weeks at a time. Only other thing I would suggest is if you're using trekking poles then make sure you know how to use them correctly. There is actually a little technique involved to get the most out of them. Also, if you haven't read it yet check this book out https://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-C...&sr=8-1&keywords=lighten+up!+backpacking+book. Lots of good tips you wouldn't normally think about.

4. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Also, I'm not far from Springer with plenty of parking space if you need somewhere to put the rv and a shuttle.

5. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Yea, I haven't bought the pack yet. I used the 58 on the list because that, or bigger even, is what all the experts I've found tell me I'm going to need. The Exos is available in 38,48, and 58L. My daughter's boyfriend uses an Aether 70 that he recommends! Almost 6 lbs! When I get back to FL and gather up my new gear, I'll head to an outfitter to see what size packs we actually need. Tent and bags are the largest items and we share them. As for the poles, It seems like using them is kind of obvious, and you use them differently in different situations/terrains. On the other hand, like ski poles, most people use the wrist straps wrong and run the risk of breaking thumbs in a fall. I've seen the book, but don't have it, and I couldn't get it out here before we leave, so maybe I'll get it for something to read on the trail. So thanks! And for the offer at Springer!

biggenyz426 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6 pounds is a lot now? :crackup: I think that's the weight of just a pair of pants and a t-shirt for me :D

7. PistolPete

LoL! No one uses Mongo and Lightweight in the same sentence!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True.

Not to mention things like the hammocks and such wouldn't work for me either - at least not the first couple of months of hiking :D

9. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Yikes...are your pants and shirts steel belted and triple ply?? :crackup:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just on the large side :D

After all this I'm going to have to weight a pair of jeans and a shirt now :crackup:

11. Potts N Pans

Not sure what you do now...but I would recommend start walking/rucking now. Just get time/distance on your feet. Get them used to physical demands of being used constantly. You will be going from usually driving around all the time to using your body for everything...it will be quite a transition.

Basically try to use only you for day to life now so it isnt overwhelming when you actually have to.

12. PistolPete

I'll bet you're pretty close...

13. PistolPete

HaHa! Not much driving around for me! I live on an island or a sailboat normally, so I basically do use only me for day to day life! Last summer we spent in an RV and if we weren't traveling somewhere to hike we were hiking and were in pretty good shape. Back on the island I can only do what I can do to maintain what I can. I can run laps on a short trail, but by the time I get to 3 or 4 miles I'm bored with it. So that and lots of squats. Every few days we take a boat ride to a nearby larger island and walk around it for a lap of maybe 13 miles. Other than that, it's building the house, fishing, and drinking beer...:cool:

Booger likes this.
  14. Potts N Pans

Sounds like you have a good foundation. Keep it up and just stay excitied for the adventure...mental can sometimes overpower physical. Keep your mind in good shape...you will need it when things get challenging.

15. PistolPete

I expect the mental to be harder than the physical, and I expect the physical to be very hard... But we can't wait!

16. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Feet and shoulders are the areas that will get beat up. Use the poles and be careful where/how you step (for 2200 miles)! Lots of the kids buds left with damaged ankles. Wish I knew how to take pictures from facebook to here, he has some cool stuff. PM me if you want his FB info. I'm sure he would be glad to talk. Not much to do in Alaska right now!

17. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

That's funny, I own the Aether 70 as well. When you have them side by side the Aether seems like it'd be the more comfy pack do to the way thicker padding on the shoulder straps and especially the hip belt. I prefer the Exos for the sub 30 lbs I carry though, maybe the Aether would be better for really heavy loads though.

18. Potts N Pans

During Nijmegen I found that if I didnt cave into the discomfort it would "go away" until I started paying attention to it again.

Kind of like being hungry or needing to use the bathroom but you dont have food at the time or a bathroom isnt available right away. You can ignore it and the urge goes away for bit. If you dismiss the urge to stop because it is uncomfortable, it starts to feel ok.

Now if you are hurt or injured, that is different. It is not good to grind it out and cause more harm. You will have to learn what your body is really saying so you can respond accordingly.

19. PistolPete

All good advice! I'll take it.

20. PistolPete

Well?