1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Feb 20, 2017.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Anyone here done it?
    I'm planning on launching an attempt at a thru hike this spring. Anyone else attempted it that has any advice? Or barring that, who lives close to the trail that could help with vehicle parking maybe, or that I could call to bring me beer? :beer:
    Pete

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

One of the members here did at least part of it and posted links to his journal here. A search should find it.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How long are you planning to be on the trail?

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

If i was back home, i could hook you up when you reach Dragon's Tooth in VA It is close to where the Audie Murphy Memorial is when crashed his plane.

Most people dont start before April...it is still very cold in northern GA. They avg about 6 months to complete.

I plan on doing a thru hike when i get out of the military. Good luck!

6. PistolPete

I found the threads by Hendo and Chris Nadeau. Haven't gotten all the way through their journals yet, but I've read as many others as I can find, so I can have the best idea of what's coming!
    Most people take 5-6 months. The record is just under 46 days, which translates to about 48 miles a day. That record is under no threat from us...
    We're doing a "Flip-flop" or "Head start" style hike. We're starting in May in Shenandoah, hopefully getting to Maine before the end of July, then jumping back to VA and hiking south into the fall. Seems like it will put us in the best weather most of the way, and out of the biggest crowds. And we'll need the good luck for sure!

Lawn Dart likes this.
  7. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I will be in The Netherlands until 2019, so I cant hand out supplies as you pass thru. I hope this adventure works out for you! Good Luck!!

:beer:

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I can provide trail magic in central PA

9. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

It is on the mountain right behind my house in Bluemont VA. When you get close to Rt. 7 give me a shout and I'll bring ya beer. Give me 10 minutes to get to that point. BTW there is a large parking lot for hikers right at Rt 601 and Rt7. Bears Den Hostile is right there a couple hundred yards in.
    Warning: Wear plenty of Deet. Deer ticks carrying Lyme are a serious danger in this part of Virginia.

10. PistolPete

I'll be looking forward to it!
    I think Lyme is our biggest fear...

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't make love to the deer.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

if you don't have a good outfitter nearby (not talking about REI type store) make a call or better yet go visit Walasi-Yi center that's near the start of the AT in GA. It's just north of Dahlonega and given the fact that they have every NOBO going thru there, they have a good idea of what works and what doesn't for each hikers needs.

Since you are starting mid trail, might not be as easy but worth a call or if you happen to be able to get to this area, stop by and see what they recommend. I know gear changes almost daily, what folks would hike with when I was doing a lot of backpacking it's what they are using now, except maybe the stoves. lol.

I've moved into hammock camping recently and the weight savings of the latest gear is phenomenal. The only disadvantage is the costs are pretty up there as well. As with motorcycle stuff- light is right but also costs a pretty penny. But when you are talking about carrying everything on your back, it's priceless. I've done 2 week unsupported trips in colder weather, and had some pretty heavy packs. These days with the light weight gear out there, it's gotta be easier on the legs and more comfortable.

IMHO the areas to focus on are sleeping and eating (besides the obvious- your boots!). If you eat well, and sleep well (dry and comfortable) the rest of the trip can be pretty miserable, but you'll make it.

Good luck!

OldGuyOnBlu likes this.
  13. PistolPete

:eek: Good advice!
    Nothing in the way of outfitters where I live!:crackup:
    On our way north to start, I plan on stopping at Mountain Crossings, the outfitter you mentioned, to try on a couple packs that aren't carried many places. REI has gotten a lot of our business because they carry a lot of options, and have a great return policy. We've been catching their sales over the winter, and if I'm undecided between a couple choices, I buy them both. When we get over to get started, we'll make final decisions and return the rest. I've got 2 different shoes, 2 tents, and sleeping bags/quilts to choose between when we get there! Right now our big 3 (pack, tent, sleep system) is under 6.5 lbs. Base weight (everything but food, water, and fuel) is at 12. I'm sure there will be things in the pack that I haven't thought of yet, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on the lbs...
    I'd like to try the hammock idea, but it's heavier than tenting, and my wife and dog say NO!

gt#179 likes this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Seems like a good place to put this. One of my friends posted this on the FB today :D

Hunting Dog For Sale.jpg

Boman Forklift and dtalbott like this.
  15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I shouldn't have been so hard on REI. They have great gear and a great return policy so it's a good way to stock up on basics. They don't carry some of the higher end specialty brands that as a thru hiker you might be interested. A former co-worker owned Mountain Crossings for a while after we left REI and it's got new owners now, but still one of the best places for info on thru hiking. Plus the roads around there are great for riding (street or dual sport). I stop by there most of my trips up there just to take a break from riding and enjoy the views.

16. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I am at Afton Va. Give notice I can provide anything needed: food, shower, shelter etc... You want to go to Waynesboro for the all you can eat pancakes!

17. PistolPete

No worries. A lot of people look at REI as the Wal-mart for hikers, but it's a great resource, and they have a lot of stuff in one place. I like to try, or at least try on, stuff before I buy, and a lot of the specialty brands you talk about make that difficult. I'll be stopping by Mountain Crossings to try on the ULA packs. I've pulled into their parking lot half a dozen times in the past for rest stops on motorcycle rides in the area without ever knowing what it was!

18. PistolPete

Afton's where we plan to start from, so we'll probable be about as clean and showered as we'll be for the next 6 months, but I'll meet you for pancakes!

19. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to meet you anywhere in PA when you are coming through. I'm an hr from a few different points from Harrisburg to port clinton. If your in Maryland and need anything I'd be more then willing to travel to help. I have done large portions of it but never been able to through hike it. I hope you are able to do it, and make sure to post up about the adventure.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

If you need help in GA or NC let me know. not that far from me.