1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone been to Iceland?

Discussion in 'General' started by PatricksDad, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I like how this post has focused on consanguineous relationships. The intent, rather, was to point out that the chicks there are fun. Also, try the local hákarl everywhere you go. Sorry I forgot to mention that it’s expensive. You are on an island, after all. Enjoy your trip.

PatricksDad likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

One of my sisters usually flew Iceland Air, every time she went back to Scotland. She would sometimes take a few days to spend in Iceland, but always said beer and food were painfully expensive, to the point she said she was done visiting “the moon”…..as she called place.

3. britx303

Spend some time in upstate New York……west side of the Adirondacks. Makes the poorest of us southern folk, look high society :D

brex likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that makes sense why there was a big string band resurgence from that area then… all those Scots Irish songs turned to bluegrass fits the poor and destitute… I’ve only been through a few times but man it’s beautiful topography

5. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

It’ll be our first chance to see the girl play outside the US, so the cost isn’t that big of a deal. Looking forward to it.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I gotta go one of these days, as Iceland and Belarus are the only 2 countries in Europe I haven't visited. I think there's a ferry there so I can take my Tenere and spend a week riding around. Have a great trip!

27 and PatricksDad like this.
  7. Resident Plarp

Iceland isn’t Europe. Unless you wanna die by saying that to a local.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Well, my Been app says its Europe, and I live and die by my Been app, so I'm going with Europe :)

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I beg to differ. I have a flow chart right here that clearly indicates Iceland would be considered Europe. I suggest you all print it and keep it handy in case a future is it Europe problem presents itself in the future

This man is correct.

For once. :D

[​IMG]

GRH, cav115, Smilodon and 4 others like this.
  10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Well they play in the European Football Championship...

PatricksDad likes this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LMAO!

12. ChemGuy

Inconsequential. Consult the chart.

:D

27 likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

educate me…

i thought Iceland hung all their bankers and went all Viking style during the economic meltdown in 08 or so?

did they go back commie style for the plandemic?

This is not a political post it’s a question about a Gov… I mean Vikings not as a religion…. Oh damn it man… I give up…

save me Bjork get Aurora to help :D

14. ChemGuy

They got a low corporate tax rate...medium high personal tax rate...big ass VAT, pretty heavy social services, all the usual hallmarks of a EU Nordic commie F^%&$.

:D

27 likes this.
  15. britx303

I had that property up there for 16 or so years, and every surname I encountered was either German, Italian or Dutch…….they seemed like the biggest inbreeders:pFreaked me out so decided to sell the place :D

27 likes this.
  16. Resident Plarp

Damn son, you write for Wikipedia.

ChemGuy likes this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And if an adrenaline junkie like you won't go, that's saying something!

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Thanks, I'll remember to bring my passport when I go to Hawaii. :D

19. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

I was there last summer for about a week. Had a great time. I don't know that I'd want to spend a week in Reykjavik though.

We did this self-driving tour: https://iceland.nordicvisitor.com/travel-deals/self-drive-tours/south-iceland-at-leisure/179/

The travel agency handles everything. They were great and I'd recommend them w/o hesitation. You just arrive at the airport where you're met by a driver to bring you to your hotel. Later, the rental car agency picks you up and brings you to get your car. The car comes with a WiFi hotspot that you can take with you which was pretty cool.

Pro Tip: Examine every inch of your rental car. I'm used to zealous rental car inspections in Europe but this place was over the top. On return, the guy found 5 little nicks in the windshield. The kind you can' t really even fix and that definitely did not happen on my watch. We had a long discussion before the manager finally decided it was OK. I had taken about 30 pictures of the car but it didn't occur to me to take a close up of the damn windshield.

The scenery is just breathtaking. My 14yo daughter was content to listen to music and watch the world go by for hours. Which was good, because you spend a lot of time driving from place to place if you go on a tour. The Blue Lagoon was pretty awesome for a tourist trap-type place. They were very efficient. It was closed a few months later when volcanic activity picked up. Not sure what the current status is.

Food and alcohol is expensive AF. Alcohol is sold at restaurants and state-owned stores like in PA. Gas was almost $10/gallon.

It seemed like everyone in the service industry was from somewhere else. The horse riding tour we took had two French and one Danish girl running it. The crew running the 1km long zipline was German, I think. Regardless, I don't recall meeting a single person who didn't speak a little English and most were fluent.

PatricksDad likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

DNC speech writer.