1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody own a 1970 chevelle

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Just watched a Jay Leno's Garage with a Boss 429 Mustang featured. :)

2. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Have a couple ‘66s. The one has 6 piston Wilwoods, 18” wheels and full aftermarket suspension. You can get close to modern performance if you just spend the time and money. Hell, you can go full custom chassis, LS, 6-speed, leather, and air, but at that point you have what’s essentially like a new Camaro with and old body. I like that, but it loses some character.

I will say as a guy that lived and breathed carbureted small blocks with the vent windows open sweating your ass off on black vinyl seats and chirping tires into 2nd every stop and start, new cars make you a puss. It’s hard to get in an old smelly, clunky car that you hope won’t break down after being used to hopping in a modern car or truck with all the luxuries, good AC, Bluetooth, and reliability.

Buying the Chevelle will be like buying an old 2-stroke race bike. Fun as hell, turns a lot of heads when it passes by, but always something to fix.

tropicoz likes this.
  3. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I drove a '70 SS for years, it has 260,000+ miles on it, currently non-running (rust). I sold it once, bought it back after a few years. That first time back behind the wheel it was like driving a truck, then you get comfortable with it. Yes, always something to fix, but really fun to drive. If I get it back on the road, it will probably get FI and a Tremec 5 speed instead of the Muncie. The torque of that engine is the best part.

Even when the red paint had faded to orange and rust was showing here and there, it still got regular comments when I'd stop for gas, etc.

4. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Wooderson has one. It's pretty badass; way cooler than Clint's Trans Am. It looks cool sitting in front of the Emporium. The last time I rode in it was when he drove us to Houston to pick up those Aerosmith tickets.

renegade17 likes this.
  5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Alright alright alright

noles19 and sharkattack like this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

66 and 67 are the ones that look similar. 68 was the same body as 70

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

3/4 race cam and a double pumper too...

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

My 67
    4 speed Muncie
    75C87312-CB00-4795-86EC-2F34B8699E62.jpeg

9. sharkattack

Glad you got it! I was wondering if anyone would.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep
    My bad. Long days at work conference.
    I’ll bow my head in shame.

Nice 67 Dirt Diggler. Best year in my opinion. It’s even the right color.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Catch you later...

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Im confused. The LS7 is either a over the counter only big block 454 never installed in production cars or a 427 LS small block from 06+. Yenko Nova's had old school 427's, not LS7's of either flavor.

13. sharkattack

LOL!

Now we need a thread on who has a Judge. I know a guy named Kevin who's got one. It's a sweet ride. We went for a cruise one night and some dumb freshman tossed my bowling ball out the window, right into the windshield of a parked car. I tell you, man, that bowling ball said Hoof! to that damn windshield!

14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Had a 69 many years ago. Fun ride. Original SS with 3 1/2 horse 396 automatic. Had a smogger 402 when I got it though..LOL!! Still had the 12 bolt posi in it though with 355's, and the auto was gone in favor of a super T10 4spd. and a line lock thrown in just for fun :D Not much difference between the 68's and 69's, except for the tail lights. 70 and up, same body but nose and tail completely different. Yep, steer like a truck and marginal brakes. Was comfy, though, and great for boulevarding, cruising, shows, and stoplight blasting. Nothing beats the sound of a big block through a set of turbo mufflers..LOL!!! After this pic, I ended up finding and building a nice streetable 396 for it, adding a black vinyl top and NOS wheel well moldings. I miss it.... chevelle.jpg

noles19 and Steeltoe like this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sweet. Primitive by today's standards, but damn fine wheels for the day.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Just got home from a funeral of one of our car club members who was also my dad's best friend. We had a nice procession to send him off.
    57 Chevy
    55 Chevy
    57 Chevy
    58 Delray
    68 C10
    55 Chevy
    2017 Stingray (Didn't even have to tell him to go last :D)

YamahaRick, stk0308 and ChemGuy like this.
  17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I see that Ugly Dog winners have made $1500

I would never buy one my self.
    Huge Nova/Chevy/Camero fan.

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

They had cars back then?