1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody own a 1970 chevelle

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Oct 9, 2019.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

2. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like someone said earlier, be careful. I bought this fairly stock last year. After a 5.3 LS, Ridetech full kit 4 link, coil overs, Vintage Air, Wilwoods, it's still no where as nice as the 2010 beater accord I bought for 5k with 180K miles on it. But it is a lot more fun.

You don't have to do all that to the Chevelle, but it'd be a lot cooler if you did!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    JJJerry, 10-15, cBJr and 3 others like this.
  3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Nice...about 15-20 k in parts?

4. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Thats what I thought it would take. But to get it right I've got close to that in the suspension.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I had a 67 Nova SS 327. It was fun to drive.

And a 70 Chevelle SS, which I bought with a
    396 with a spun main bearing which I replaced
    with a rebuilt 350.

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

8. Lavana

Lavana The coming

From what everyone is saying the rational decision would be to stay away.

I don’t even know why I ask... I just find myself looking at pics and thinking is badass but then again I don’t want to pay to fix a whole bunch of things and I also don’t have the time.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Buying a 50 year old car is not a rational decision. But when they run properly, they WILL put a smile on your face.

noles19 likes this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It depends on whether or not you like working
    on your car on a regular basis. I know I got
    over that years ago. I still love muscle cars, though.

dave3593 likes this.
  11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Racing isn't a rational decision yet here we are:crackup:
    I say buy the car.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Admittedly, they required more work, but it was easier to do...and less costly.

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I saw a guy autocrossing one in that same paint scheme in Louisville 15 years ago. The guy knew how to drive and the car was setup super well. It had almost no body roll. One of only like 3 cars where you’re just impressed to watch the way it handled from the outside that I’ve ever seen.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:
    If you are at all mechanically inclined classic cars are stupid easy to repair and maintain. If you are mechanically inclined. Now if you are versed in bodywork that's even better. Bodywork and interior is the bulk of cost and time. I've restored cars with my dad since I was old enough to hold a wrench.

That being said you need to know what you're getting into. Car looks and runs great? Later you figure out the frame is bent and they just painted over the rusty floorboards. Muscle cars are rarely unmolested. Or you find out the badging is fake, which is far more common than being legit. Like exponentially more common. Only thing people lie about more than car provenance is when they lie about fishing. Unless you're collecting don't get caught up in authenticity if you don't know how to accurately catalogue a car. Find yourself a decent "driver" and run it. :beer:

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What 'Toe said.

I ahve a 68 camaro in the garage. Guy before me had it as a driver. Took it to a shop to have it 'redone'. After disassembly and blasting....lots of rust, bondo, etc. Needs rockers, firewall, full floor, front subframe (eh maybe i can save it), and probably rear quarters. I got it cheap and have ~1500 in repair sheet metal to install. He bought a nicer car to fix up. Hes got that HVAC money so no big deal to him...

But even driving cars can be a mess. Take someone who knows how to look at these things. But a real 60's-70s muscle car that looks good and sounds good and runs good is a blast to drive. and people will stop to look at it all the time.

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I love the stories about how at any given time there are 200 SS396 cars of a certain model for sale in the US at one time when only 50 of them were ever made. :D

stk0308 likes this.
  17. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Do you know if that car original come with a 455 SD or the poncho 400. Very nice resto mod.
    Was the car originally a 455 or 400? That is a very well done resto mod!!

18. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Disregard the SD reference. Not available until 73.

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Not all Yenko Novas are 427s. In your second link the yellow one in Mooresville clearly says there's a 350 under the hood. The blue one in Volo says it has a 396. Yes, the others in the link say they have a 427, except the one that doesn't list any motor, strange not to brag on that. And, again, your post I replied to had an individual listing, and it was for the 350 motored car. Can you not read?