1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of mine are dead. Wonder if they take the same as the Luminox? That would rick since I bought 20 of them for like a buck more than one or two cost :crackup:

2. trancework

trancework It's always now...

I wanted to love GS, just couldn't do it. Biggest issue I had was presence on the wrist. For the size, the feeling of the titanium just kills it for me... It's like wearing nothing, and if I've got something precious metal or even hefty SS, I'm going to be mindful of not banging it into every turn... The GS just disappears on the wrist, normally that'd be a benefit--in my experience it seems to "cheapen" the feel... I'd prob get used to it in a day or two, but it just didn't hit that "buy this now!" nerve...

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Have you see a GS Spring Drive movement in person? My god, that thing is magical. It's a weird combination of mechanical and electronic.

To really confuse the issue, I have a quartz Rolex. :D

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One of those Oysterquartzs? They are really kind of neat but not at the prices I was seeing a few years ago.

I got to check out the guts on one of those Seikos a few years back when I was in Singapore. I kept thinking of it like the VVT on the civic. Way beyond what I could grasp and nothing I wanted to try and fix. :D

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Oysterquartz are pretty cool.
    Very 1987 Yuppie feel and design to some of them, but a cool thing overall.

6. SteveThompson

Nailed it. It is a gold President with a wood dial. *B*L*I*N*G*

I've actually never worn it. My wife wears it fairly often.

7. trancework

I tried the line in Chicago at the Oris boutique a block from Willis Tower. Wore the Godzilla weeks before it was announced. That minute count on the fixed bezel was off-putting in a "well, we can't leave that blank" sort of way--IMO should have had a GMT complication with the GMT indicator in the shape of the monster. And before you say that's cheap--consider what they did to the display case.....

Had gone in WANTING to drop and carry--just wasn't struck as expected. They're nice, no doubt, still wouldn't trade my Planet Ocean for one, actually I was even more taken with my Squale at a few grand less...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oris is not a replacement for an Omega, Rolex or IWC. It's a gateway drug, errr watch to them. :D

trancework likes this.
  9. trancework

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Now, if that penis Mayer will stay away from Oris we'll be okay.

Gawd damn Stupid Mayer! :D

trancework likes this.
  11. trancework

Well, the SS Rolex sports have come down a bit... Probably pulling the trigger on another sub in the next day or two with a chap in Cali. The GO has appeal, but you can't go wrong with classic sub.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Cool, you have a Rolex that actually keeps accurate time. :D

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Love my Squale! Probably my most complimented watch from random people.

14. Jedb

Clearly i should not be left alone with the internet...
    Pulled the trigger on Monday. Got it yesterday.

GMT, 3 time zones. Wears smaller than a 42.

Attached Files:

15. Boman Forklift

So, that's an expensive one, I think. Looking at it, how does it do the different time zones? I presume the little dial on the left is one zone and the main watch is another zone?

16. Jedb

Hi Rob,
    The little dial on the left is the seconds hand.

Here's how the timezones work for this one.
    The hour/minute is one time zone. (in the pic, Hour hand is at the 11, minute hand is at the 3, second hand is the sub-dial)
    The GMT hand is the hand with the small triangle down by the 6 (timezone 2)
    The third time zone can be set using the inner bezel (marked with 24, 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.) and it rotates using the upper crown.

Base example.
    Hour and minute hand are at noon for Portland, OR.
    Inner bezel has the number 24 at the top (and number 12 at the bottom).
    GMT hand is at the 6 o'clock direction, indicating 12 hours (1/2 way through the 24hr cycle)
    == ==
    Another example: I'm in Chicago on work.
    I can set the hour to be noon in Portland. (home)
    I can set the GMT hand to be 8pm in London (where my boss is)
    And I can set the inner bezel to be 2 hours ahead when I'm in Chicago for work

That would look like:
    Hour and Minute hand at noon
    GMT hand at the 10 o'clock marker (Noon + 8 = 20 which is 8pm and is always in reference to the Hour/Minute of my home in Oregon)
    The inner bezel would have the "2" marker at the top of the watch, showing the offset for me being in Chicago.

When I go back to Portland, I adjust the inner bezel back to having 24 at the top, and then I'm lined up for local time and my GMT time to keep track of my boss' time zone.
    == == ==
    If I go to Hawaii on vacation, a 3 hour offset from Portland, but I want to keep track of time at home, I can
    Hour and minute at noon (Portland time)
    GMT hand can be moved -3 from the "12-marker" to the "9-dot" in between the 8 and 10 markers on the bezel to account for timezone difference.
    No need to offset the bezel in this example.

In this same example, I can change the hour/minute to local Hawaiian time (9am) and shift the GMT hand +3 to the 12 on the GMT dial to represent Portland.
    No need to offset the bezel in this example.
    == == ==

Hope that helps. :)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

@Jedb Thank you for taking the time to explain it. I'm pretty sure I even understand. :D

18. Jedb

Happy to do so, Rob. They are such cool little machines.

19. SteveThompson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my second SKX mod. My wife wanted a white sport watch and a black sport watch to replace a couple of crappy watches she used to wear all the time. I posted the white one a few pages ago. On this one I replaced the crown and cut the stem, which is a new skill. I also got the hands on perfectly. I struggled with the last one.

Now I'm building an SKX for me that's more complicated. I didn't start with a watch. I bought a PVD coated case and started from there. I am also using a different movement that is hacking and winding. That required a slight disassembly of the movement to replace the day wheel and gear and the movement holder.

This has been really fun! I actually have almost enough extra parts to build another SKX. All I need is a case and a ratchet ring. There is a guy making cases with a helium valve. I think I need one :D.

I'm planning to build something with a Swiss movement next, but I also think I am going to sign up for some online watchmaking classes. I'd really like to learn how to strip a movement and service it before I go a lot further.

trancework, Jedb and Monsterdood like this.
  20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Very nice mod! It's hard to tell from your pictures, but did you go with a domed crystal and, if you did, how well does it line up with the bezel? I put a domed crystal and ceramic bezel on my SKX years ago, but the two don't line up very well. The bezel is raised a bit and I can fit my fingernail between it and the crystal.