1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

OK, I need to ask, and I can't really search 350 pages effectively... Helping a friend buy a watch for a recent HS graduate (graduation gift). The kid likes watches, and bought his own Orient Ray II after researching automatic watches he could afford. He knows all about movement and different brands. I think he's a watch nerd in development.

[​IMG]

His parents (friends of mine) would like to get him a watch for graduation. I said that I had some people to ask... Its all personal, obviously. Really hard to pick a watch for him, but I've shown them a couple of options and wanted to get some more if you guys know of some that I didn't look at. I was thinking the $400ish or less range, maybe.

Citizen - I've had one for years. They can be nice, but boring... (in this price range)
    Timex - nice options, but kinda looking for something a little more unique maybe?
    Orient - he already has one, and that may be ok, but I was trying to get them to look at something different.
    Junghans - not a fan of the look
    Seiko - I'm liking some of these, but want more options. I think of them as a step up from Timex and Citizen?
    Fossil - maybe. They have some nice looking watches, but I can't get past the old Fossils that I remember from being a kid (with the colored bands, etc)
    Casio? meh - like Citizen
    Invicta and Victorinox are like the same thing to me... I don't know if he'd like them or not. I guess anything from his parents that was nice enough.

Bulova maybe?

Automatic or something without a battery would be nice (ecodrive/light), but not necessarily required.

There's a brand with styles kind of like current Fossils that I saw once, and I can't remember their name. I wanna say it was about an $800 watch, but I'm betting they can be had for less or they have some other models (edit: It just came to me. Shinola is the brand I was thinking of). Something kinda sporty, but not necessarily a dive watch - maybe like one of the outdoors/expedition watches - sorta classic with a leather or web strap. I dunno. I'm just spitballing.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My budget watch list:
    $400? Seiko 007
    a few bucks more: Hamilton.
    even more but not breaking the bank: Oris

mastermind, j cal and Lawn Dart like this.
  3. ton

ton Arf!

Hamilton, all day. From Jomashop.

Though, if the desired style is "toolwatch/diver" i'd second the vote for Seiko 007. It's a great watch, and one the watch nerds all know and appreciate, too.

mastermind and Lawn Dart like this.
  4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Thanks guys. That works. I like the Hamiltons - not a brand I'm familiar with, so I'm glad I asked.

5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Exactly what Dave said, which is the exact route that I took. 007 -> Hamilton -> Oris Diver.

If he has any inclination to modifying I would go with Seiko. Lots of mod parts out there.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

One thing on that.
    He's got a diver/tool watch with the Orient that he bought for himself.

For Hamilton, I'd give him something that may be along the dress route.
    Hamilton Jazzmaster (LINK)
    or
    Alternate Hamilton Jazzmaster (LINK)

If you like a solar one, Seiko's got a nice re-craft series (throwback)
    https://seikousa.com/collections/recraft/products/ssc667

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I'll third what mini pump and sprinklers said...seiko (and I own a 007 there are some cool other seikos along that similar price)...then hammy. Jazzmaster or maybe a khaki or pilot line.

Sounds like they should stick to autos though if the kid likes the mechanical versions.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, automatics. That's why I said Hamilton and Oris.

Oris has display backs on a lot of their models and their movements are pretty cool to see. :)

9. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I got my service award stuff from my company today and a quick scroll through the available shit that I could order with my points I came across this:

[​IMG]
    It's no Omega but maybe a reasonable replacement for the Seamaster that I gave my son? I love my Speedmasters but I kinda miss having something that I could jump into a pool with. The price is right for me ($0) even leaving enough award points to maybe get a fanny pack or something, :D

What say the beeb?

j cal and Jedb like this.
  10. ChemGuy

Seiko's rock. Ive taken mine down to 130ft. swim away.
    BTW, Ill give you $3.50 for it.

Jedb likes this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Definitely yes. I want one, but haven’t decided what to part with.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

All day long. And twice on Sundays. I love my Seiko Pepsi, even if it isn't a Japanese movement (and I have to correct the time every 4-5 days).

13. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Well shit. That was too easy. Will you guys help me with my fanny pack selection too? :D

14. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

You can never go wrong with sequins....

15. ChemGuy

Damn. If only I had known yesterday. I stopped by an estate sale and there complete in the box was a......bedazzler. Lord knows you can’t wear an in-bedazzled fanny pack. That’s like being a lawyer and not driving a yellow farrari.

:D

16. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

Great watch. I’ve had mine for 10+ years and it’s been on at least 50-60 dives to recreational depths (130ft or less). Very sturdy and dependable. I agree it’s not as exciting as an Omega, but it’ll be a great everyday watch at an excellent price.

17. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

F300AE73-A543-4BF9-BC3C-FDFC84C91461.jpeg Just got a Mudmaster for our anniversary. I’m really liking the GG1000.

5axis likes this.
  18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Some are hit and miss. I have a few that are dead nuts on picking up or losing a minute every month or two. Another one I have runs about 5 minutes fast per day.. pisses me off. Havnt had the time to go have it regulated and have thought of giving it a go on my own.

19. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

20. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

12 meters in 59 years? Is that really a big deal? The original record seems far more amazing. These guys must have spent a lot of time looking for a spot in the trench they could put their sub to "break the record" because there are no other places with that depth.

pressure increases about one atmosphere for every 10 meters of water depth.

Designing for that extra ATM is nothing... I'd wager the Rolex would have done it too years ago. However they are indicating they designed for 15000 meters. No place to prove that though in nature on this earth, just the lab.

Hawk518 likes this.